Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Early morning ceremony

Our ceremony is at 9 am on the small beach of a forest lake. It will be so beautiful, there are often loons there in the morning and the sun will just be coming over the hills. Is anyone else having an early morning ceremony?

Re: Early morning ceremony

• SVike said:
    Our ceremony is at 9 am on the small beach of a forest lake. It will be so beautiful, there are often loons there in the morning and the sun will just be coming over the hills. Is anyone else having an early morning ceremony?
    Wow, that is REALLY early.  I am sure it will be very pretty, but wow, your wedding party is going to have to get up EARLY to be ready for that.
  • SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    Thankfully we'll be staying on site the night before so it won't actually be that bad. We're also all doing really simple hair and makeup, we'll probably get up at 7. Or maybe 8 :P
  • SVike said:
    Thankfully we'll be staying on site the night before so it won't actually be that bad. We're also all doing really simple hair and makeup, we'll probably get up at 7. Or maybe 8 :P

I'm sure your friends thank you for this!  hopefully, you don't have a ton of out of town guests trying to travel in that morning, and hopefully, you'll have coffee ready!  :)

• SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    Actually there are a lot of people travelling. It'll be about 1.5-2 hours for most of them, which does suck, but we gave them the option of staying overnight too and no one wanted to. Oh well. We do plan to start a little late so that all the latecomers can get there in time!
  • Planning to start late is really rude to all the guests who plan to get up early and make it there on time.
  • Your wedding vision sounds lovely. I would start the ceremony when you say you're going to start it. And @cmgilpin 's idea of having coffee set out is an awesome idea - I would love that as a guest at a morning wedding!
    *********************************************************************************

• SVike said:
    Actually there are a lot of people travelling. It'll be about 1.5-2 hours for most of them, which does suck, but we gave them the option of staying overnight too and no one wanted to. Oh well. We do plan to start a little late so that all the latecomers can get there in time!
    I agree with Starmoon. It's early, and some guests may not like it, and may arrive only for the reception. But, don't penalize the guests who do show up on time by making them wait for late stragglers.    Start within 5 minutes of your stated start time. If you want to give a lil extra time, maybe schedule it for 9:30, instead of 9:00am.
  • Don't start late. Start when your invitation says it starts. 

Our ceremony was at 10:30 and I had to get up before six, by the way. I don't like to feel rushed, and I certainly didn't want to feel rushed that day. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Why do you have to have it so early, out of curiousity? Sunrise occurs well before 9:00AM in the summer. What is your plan for a reception?

We did an 11AM ceremony and most people considered that to be crazy early.

• SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    I only meant a few minutes late, 9:05-9:10. And its vpretty closse to the mountains, so sunrise does happen earlier but you can't see it until about 9. We both really just want to have it then because its beautiful and we don't have to keep it going late, we can leave to go be together. The reception is a lunch at 12:30 and there is a dance but it'll be short.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    SVike said:
    I only meant a few minutes late, 9:05-9:10. And its vpretty closse to the mountains, so sunrise does happen earlier but you can't see it until about 9. We both really just want to have it then because its beautiful and we don't have to keep it going late, we can leave to go be together. The reception is a lunch at 12:30 and there is a dance but it'll be short.
    @Svike See, this is what I was worried about. What are your guests supposed to do from 9:30 until 12:30? Unless you're also serving breakfast, you're running the risk of being really rude to your guests...
  • SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    The ceremony is long, it probably won't be done until 10:30. And after that we will have a small selection of breakfast and lunch foods, fruit and some sandwiches and everything. They also have the option of learning some fun traditional dances after that or just talking and getting to know each other, which I know many of them will be doing.
  •  Your ceremony will be outside for 90 minutes?

• SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    Yep. It might be a bit shorter, we're hoping for 60 but our pastor really loves talking.
  • MrsH86MrsH86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I think that sounds really pretty! I am having my wedding at 10am, so not much later than you! Have you considered moving the reception up a bit? We are starting our reception around 10:30-11:00 (just depends on when the ceremony ends, its all at the same location). 
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • SVikeSVike member
    First Comment

We really want to make sure we get our pictures done before I spill food on my dress so we need the time in between. Also my dad is cooking for it (he's crazy to try it but the best cook I know!) so he needs the extra time to finish up.

• I've never heard of a 90 minute ceremony that wasn't a Catholic mass. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    It isn't Catholic but it is almost a full church service. There's singing, a scripture reading and a (hopefully) short message before our vows.
  • If it were me, during the 2 hours of "socializing and eating of lunch and breakfast foods,"  I would get my fill and feel like THAT was the reception and be ready to go home after that part. 

• SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    So what are you trying to say?
  • itzMSitzMS member

So let me get this straight. You are:

1. Having an early ceremony 1.5-2 hours away from most of your guests

2. Having an hour plus outdoor ceremony

3. Assuming guests will want to sit around for 2.5 hours plus and "socialize" and wait for their meal

Please tell me you're at least having enough chairs for everyone, and an indoor backup plan in case of poor weather (rain, wind, or heat)

There's certainly nothing wrong with a morning ceremony, but what you're entertaining to do here is kind of unreasonable.

• SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    Yes there's a backup plan and yes there are cahirs. And the length of the ceremony is normal among the people I know for either an indoor or an outdoor wedding. And like I said earlier, the guests have the option to stay at the venue overnight with us, they don't have to travel in the morning.
  • Can you explain "staying at the venue" to me? Is it a beach house? 
  • SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    Its a camp. It will be empty on the weekend, and it has fairly nice accomodations.
  • SVike said:
    So what are you trying to say?
    I'm trying to say you need to either start your ceremony later or move your reception up closer to the ceremony. 

• SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    Well everyone already has the information so starting the ceremony later isn't an option and I already explained why we need the time in between.
  • itzMSitzMS member

@SVike, I remember you now. You're the poster who's 18 years old with the 4.5 month engagement.

And the issue with the purple shirts.

I suggest you take the advice of the posters here, and stop being so defensive all the time.

• We had pics in between our ceremony and reception as well. For an hour. It was our cocktail hour and guests had beverages and appetizers. TWO hours of that is too much PLUS you're serving too much food. You're serving a bunch of breakfast and lunch foods for 2 hours and then serving a lunch afterward? I don't get that. 

• Wow, sunrise up here is just after 5am, so I'm glad this is a later wedding.  But that early, I'd be pretty tired after and I'm not sure I'd stay for lunch.  Can you somehow incorporate the lunch and breakfast meals??

• A camp like a cabin? Or a number of different sized cabins?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards