Military Brides

What happens at a military wedding?

I'm curious about this.  I know that when officers marry there may be a sword arch that the couple walks under, but are there any other special traditions that go with a military wedding?  I've never attended one, but my father, both grandfathers, and several other relatives were veterans so I'm interested.

Re: What happens at a military wedding?

• As far as I'm aware, there is no official "military wedding."

There are a couple traditions, such as the sword arch (there's also a horrible tradition where the last two guys will hit the bride's behind with the saber and say, "Welcome to the Army"), cutting the cake with a saber, wearing dress blues, seating a commander officer in the front pews, having a military chaplain etc. I've seen a Fallen Comrades' table at a wedding as well, but honestly the "military weddings" I've attended look pretty much the same as every other wedding. 
  • That's the impression I got too, that the things you mention are pretty much the only traditions that distinguish a wedding ceremony for active duty service members from any other wedding.  Thanks.
  • PDKH said:
    As far as I'm aware, there is no official "military wedding."

There are a couple traditions, such as the sword arch (there's also a horrible tradition where the last two guys will hit the bride's behind with the saber and say, "Welcome to the Army"), cutting the cake with a saber, wearing dress blues, seating a commander officer in the front pews, having a military chaplain etc. I've seen a Fallen Comrades' table at a wedding as well, but honestly the "military weddings" I've attended look pretty much the same as every other wedding. 

Yep. This is a wedding with military elements for active duty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards