Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bell ringer- "The Bride is Coming"

I went to a wedding last week, and they had a young girl run down the aisle with a bell shouting, "The Bride is Coming".  I had not seen this before, and a lady sitting behind us told her companion that it came from a popular movie and that she had read something that this is not an old tradition, but a new one that the movie writer claims to have made up.  

Does anyone know the origins of this tradition?

Re: Bell ringer- "The Bride is Coming"

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    hacked said:
    I went to a wedding last week, and they had a young girl run down the aisle with a bell shouting, "The Bride is Coming".  I had not seen this before, and a lady sitting behind us told her companion that it came from a popular movie and that she had read something that this is not an old tradition, but a new one that the movie writer claims to have made up.  

I don't know the origins, but I personally really dislike it.

I would think it stems from the (really old) tradition of the Town Crier.

• I seriously thought someone on four weddings made it up...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • To me, stuff like that is just another made up role to "include" people. Yawn. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
  • This is a really stupid and unnecessary "tradition."  Nobody needs to find a "cute" role for kids in wedding ceremonies.  This girl could have just been a flower girl.
  • hacked said:

Given that the history of people ringing bells is that lepers had to ring bells to let people know the unclean were approaching, I cannot imagine why ANYONE would want to resurrect this tradition for their wedding. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Yeah I think this is almost certainly just something someone made up pretty recently. Hardly a "tradition."
  • That sounds noisy and obnoxious.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards