Nevada-Las Vegas

Uninvited Guest – Help!

I posted a similar post on the Etiquette board, but I know with Vegas some of the etiquette goes out the window so I wanted advice from my Vegas pros too! 

FI and I are paying for everything ourselves and we are keeping the guest list to only close family and friends.  We told his parents of our plans and his mom was a little upset that her best friend was not on the list.  We discussed the possibility of a B list, but told them it was still probably unlikely.   (which in hindsight was not the best idea, because now realize the money we would save with any ‘no’ RSVPs could be put to better use, more appetizers, full bar, etc. for the guests that are coming).  This about 6 weeks ago. 

Today his mom tells us that her friend and husband are coming to Vegas and want to know if there is room for them at the ceremony and they understand that there won’t be room at the reception. 

At this point having them around that weekend would make us feel really uncomfortable.  I know we can’t tell them they can’t come to Vegas, but we want to spend our time with those close to us that we invited. 

What does he say to his mom?  

We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 

Re: Uninvited Guest – Help!

• FI and I had the same dilemma. Initially FIs mum made comments about our guest list being too large. Then lo and behold FI was asked to add 10 guests (FIs parents friends) to our guest list. We folded because FI has a relatively small family and mine is huge. Ofcourse because FIs mum got to invite friends there was a domino effect with my mum wanting to invite friends too *sigh*.

Your situation is quite complex though. I agree you cant stop them from travelling to Vegas. I dont know if I can offer much advice but I can at least sympathise with you. Guest lists are really tough.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• Thanks missmo!  I'm afraid of the domino effect as well if we cave on this.  
  • I would say no room at ceremony or reception.  im sorry mom you invite them and u entertain them.  they weren't invited yet they chose or u disrespected us and invited them
  • I would just suck it up and let them join in. It's probably not the answer your looking for but I wouldn't want to start a marriage pissing off the fmil. Sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with southerncutie, but I folded because of what Sunni wrote above. FI and I could afford to add the 10 extra so we just did it. We strictly refuse to add any more people though that includes the ceremony and/or reception.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I sympathise!  If there is room at the ceremony and/or reception venue, while not what you want to do it might be easier to just allow them.  If you don't, then you might have to be ready for FMIL making some remarks about it when she sees space at the venue.  Otherwise, just put your foot down.  Maybe try and explain that you really want it to be only those closest to you, and say something like 'we would have loved to be able to include more people but we're keeping it really intimate.  I wouldn't like to include anyone else at this point because there are friends we are really close to who can't be there and so I wouldn't feel right having a couple we don't know very well there, when we aren't even sharing the day with some friends who are big parts of our lives'

We are going to invite some of my FI's parents friends, because  we drink and hang out with her parents and their friends when we go to visit them.  However, we don't have the same sort of relationship with my parents and I think having to spend time with my mother every day we were in Vegas would drive us both crazy.  There is a couple that my parents are friends with that I knew she would ask about and I immediatly stamped it out because they are not people I would want there, which I knew was annoying my mum because FIs parents friends are invited.  I compromised by offering to invite another couple they are friends with, that I actually like.  I had an ulterior motive though, as this other couple being there means my mum and dad have someone to hang out with so they don't bug me as much!
    Your FMIL might not really realise how uncomfortable this has made you and might just be thinking that she really wants to share Vegas with her best friend.  It's still really rubbish of them but I hope it works out for you.
  • Ugh! I don't envy you on this!  In theory I say hold your ground- after all its your day not hers- but let's face it- its not that easy.  Do you have the room for them to even attend? Would it matter if your FMIL paid for their seats? I know that sounds a bit crass but if you're paying for everything and now she wants them to come  she might just do it.  

Good luck!
  • I am sorry that you have been put in such an awful situation! Personally, I think you should put your foot down and say no. It is your day and it should be about surrounding yourself with the people that YOU love!

Both my parents and my FI's parents are contributing to certain parts of our wedding. That was there decision and not something that we asked of them. Even though they are contributing, they have let us make every single decision ourselves as it is our wedding day. Perhaps if you sit down and have an open conversation with your future in-laws they might see things from your point of view?
  • missmo14 said:

FI and I had the same dilemma. Initially FIs mum made comments about our guest list being too large. Then lo and behold FI was asked to add 10 guests (FIs parents friends) to our guest list. We folded because FI has a relatively small family and mine is huge. Ofcourse because FIs mum got to invite friends there was a domino effect with my mum wanting to invite friends too *sigh*.

Too late now but that is a perfect example of why wedding planning shouldn't extend beyond you and your FI.  :-)  Your mom wouldn't have been an issue if no one told her your FI's mom was allowed to add people.

I just took a hard line with everyone that asked about that kind of stuff.  Oh is so and so invited... if they get an invite, then they were invited, if they don't, then they were not invited.  Do you have any extra seats?  No.  Are you going to invite uncle so and so you haven't seen in 15 years?  No; I'm not.  If you budge even a little bit people will just run you over.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Great advice VG. Sadly we got OWNED on guest listing

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• What is the deal with this?! I invited my Aunt and Uncle only to have to her say 'we noticed you didn't sent an RSVP to your cousins so we've let them know and they're excited.' I over looked this because Okay they're my cousins, when we sent out the invites I purposely invited my cousins on the same invite, almost like they were a couple, my one can't come so my other is bringing a friend! WHAT!?? I emailed my Aunt to which she replied oh, your cousin can't come but this addition has been best friends with the family for years, I could cover the cost of his meal. Not the point when I barely know my cousins, let alone his BFF!? Ugh! People are so rude.

Good luck trying to tell your mom her friend can't come...maybe you have bigger balls than I do.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Thanks for all the input everyone!  He is just going to have to talk to her and make her realize it's not an option.  I could easily see it getting out of hand if we cave on this.  

We are going to Vegas in July - maybe we'll just elope!
  • What I would do is keep it as a maybe till u send the invites then send one to that couple and tell mom after invites go out. It may not be the best way but at least u wont have to worry about additional uninvited guests. I've already had a rouge bridesmaid invite 2 people and no save the dates have gone out. Luckily fi and I have no friends and small families
  •  Luckily fi and I have no friends and small families
    You have no friends?  I'm not sure I'd consider that lucky.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Lol I have a few friends but the longest version of my guest list is 45 ppl. So long story short no huge reception space need if I can keep my rouge bm in check
  • Oh yep... now thats where I get peeved. Guests just inviting other people to a wedding. I dont mind who they travel to Vegas with but if WE havent invited them, they are not coming. I know we folded but at least the parents asked us to invite the 'extras' and didnt just go out inviting people. Im tellin you ladies there is just something about Vegas that gets people excited.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• JiimanieJiimanie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I've ALSO had a similar experience, we invited 36 people which is our capacity at our reception, including immediate family, very close friends, and only two of my cousins (and their partners) but my aunt has kind of invited herself along. However, we've since pointed out that if everyone RSVPs there won't be space at the wedding and they have said that they just want to come to Vegas with their daughter (as they LOVE Vegas) and understand that they may not be able to attend the wedding. We feel that if they're there and if there's space they can join in, we'd love to have them there, but have made it clear that they are not 'invited' right now (so to hopefully discourage other aunts and uncles as there definitely won't be space for them all!). 

I'm seeing that there's no easy way to deal with this, it looks like we all have to manage in our own ways, whatever fits best - there's no one answer. I hope it works out ok for you @ktbabe530 , and everyone else!

You're right Missmo, its a great excuse for a holiday!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • People can be so frustrating!! My brother mentioned to me a few weeks ago that some of his friends may be coming to Vegas for the wedding. He said he asked them all to come if they can. I don't know if any will...since none of them were actually invited. I barely know these people and FI doesn't know them at all. I have an okay relationship with my bro and told him that the wedding isn't a "come one, come all" event and we have to base things on numbers. He responded that this isnt his 'first rodeo' (i.e. destination wedding) and a lot of people wh have said they hope to come to the wedding will back out between now and the wedding (in October) because of the cost of traveling from Canada......meaning that his guests can take those spaces. I still told him they are not invited guests and he told me I can't really say no if these people are willing to travel to Vegas for the wedding. Ugh. So now i'm just hoping my bro's guests just decide not to make the trip. As god as my witness, I will never EVER put any of my friends or family in such an awkward position!
  • @stefandshanny I would be LIVID if any of my family did that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Steff, you can say no... Because they weren't invited. If your brother wants to invite people to spend money on a trip when they aren't invited, that's on him. ;)
  • I'm so thankful that we didn't have to deal with this. My brother was going to bring his GF/roommate at the time, but now she's just a roommate and not a GF, so she's not coming. He asked if one of his friends came up (from AZ) to Vegas, would it be ok for him to come to the wedding. He said he understood if he couldn't and it wasn't a problem. So thankful for my family and friends. I feel for all of you that need to make the tough decisions and either give in or stick to your guns. It's not easy, that's for sure. 
  • We have a similar dilemma.  Our wedding is small, it is myself, FI and 2 friends, so 4 in total.  I find out last week that FI's cousin who lives in the US has heard that we are going to Vegas is thinking of coming.  With his 13 year old daughter!  This puts me in a state of panic because this is going to change the dynamic big time and I had planned to go to the Mix Restuarant for dinner and maybe the Mix lounge afterwards and now I don't know if they will be suitable. 

Anniversary
  • I would just suck it up and let them join in. It's probably not the answer your looking for but I wouldn't want to start a marriage pissing off the fmil. Sorry.
    That's exactly what I am doing. FMIL has tried to take over so many things in our wedding that if I let her this detail, then I can have some slack for the rest. It doesn't really please me, but I'll just ignore her friends she invited. On the other hand, some surprise guests can be very fun to hang with, so you never know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • im sorry way I look at it would be--- FI and I are paying we don't know these extras and they aren't coming,  if the FMIL and Bros wanna pay then ok but if they aren't shelling out money for food/alcohol they don't get a vote. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards