Nevada-Las Vegas

What am i going to do without my phone??

I feel like I will be lost without my phone when in Vegas, but do not want to pay ridiculous amounts of roaming charges. I don't know how exactly I am going to keep in contact with guests, vendors, co-ordinators etc as efficiently as I had hoped. I plan on bringing my laptop I think but I don't know. Anyone know of other options? Possibility of purchasing a local SIM card? I am not sure how that works...

Canadian Bride getting married at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas on October 19th, 2013

Re: What am i going to do without my phone??

• I would say buy a cheap pay as u go phone. 
  • Are you coming from international?

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Coming from Canada
  • Oh who are you with?

Rogers has a new $8 a day(24 hrs) for 50 mbs of data, to go with the new laws around wireless stuff. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, I am with Rogers!
  • We were down in Vegas june 7 to 10 and it was $28 for data. You dont even need to call. Head down turn your data on when roaming and you will get a text about 10 mins later saying "Rogers TIP: You're roaming! Get affordable roaming options or see what you already have at http://rogers.com/m/usa (no charge). Stay connected w/ roaming internet at the NEW pay-per-use rate of $7.99/50MB for 24hrs. That's approx 50maps, 200sites or 1000emails. Add'l usage within 24hrs is $7.99/50MB & billed automatically. Pay-per-use talk & txt are $1.45/min & $0.75/txt. Rates above exclude taxes. Having issues? Call +1-514-734-7699 (no charge)"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think going with a package is cheaper and more convenient unless you need your phone just for a day or two.

Here are the list of the packages provided by Rogers:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=AppsAddons&category=12

I'm from Canada too (Montreal) and I'm with Rogers as well. I don't use really use the data as it's easy to find a wifi connection in Las Vegas. But for calls and texting, I think you are better off with a package.

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with Telus and they have the same offer. Ours is a $10 package that includes roaming, texting and the like. I think i'll call before we go to see what they can offer me. Maybe call Rogers and see if they'll give you a deal?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Calling Rogers sounds like the way to go; they may have a cheap temporary international roaming plan.  I took my Verizon phone on our honeymoon to Antigua and also on our anniversary trip to Mexico last year.  I'd call in and have them enable an international calling plan a few days before we left each time, it's $20/month to have that option, and then I think the minutes were perhaps 50 cents/minute.  I'd call back in after we got back and remove international from my plan.  They only charged me a pro-rated amount so I'd end up paying perhaps $5 for the service and however many minutes I talked.  Texting was actually free on the inbound side, but 25 cents/each on the outbound side.  So what I'd do is tell the people who text me most frequently that I was leaving the country and would not call or text back unless they needed me to, and then it didn't end up costing me very much.

There is the option of buying a pre-paid phone once you get to Vegas, it's basically a phone you'll use and throw away, but if Rogers has a reasonable plan, you'd probably spend more on that temporary phone than you will with them.  Plus it's a pain to update all your guests and vendors with a temporary phone number for you.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Sounds like you might be sorted now, but as VG said, there is the pre-paid phone option which my photographer has suggested I get for keeping in touch with him, he said I'd be able to get one for $30 from Walmart so I think that's what we'll do!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • Thanks everyone for all of the tips! Yes, I think I will call my cell provider and get an addon package for the trip. It will probably be less of a hassle and won't be needing to provide a new number to contacts.

SnowWhiteMontreal; i feel the same way. I don't really need a data plan as there will always be free wifi...but more of a roaming text/talk plan. Thanks for the links!

• you will definitely want a phone there - I found it invaluable to have worry free contact with all the vendors and all the guests.

I was a dumbdumb and came back to Canada with a whopping bill from Rogers, but was able to talk them down - we had the phone in the states for the week in Vegas and a week in California. I was all about the dataplan but I'm a Facebook addict :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Which hotel are you staying at? Im from Canada too and faced the same problem with Rogers. If you have a smart phone, like an iPhone you can connect to wifi and use that. But I was at the Aria and found out on the last day there that they rent out smartphones!! >=(
    Good luck with everything!!
  • SD210SD210 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Calling Rogers sounds like the way to go; they may have a cheap temporary international roaming plan.  I took my Verizon phone on our honeymoon to Antigua and also on our anniversary trip to Mexico last year.  I'd call in and have them enable an international calling plan a few days before we left each time, it's $20/month to have that option, and then I think the minutes were perhaps 50 cents/minute.  I'd call back in after we got back and remove international from my plan.  They only charged me a pro-rated amount so I'd end up paying perhaps $5 for the service and however many minutes I talked.  Texting was actually free on the inbound side, but 25 cents/each on the outbound side.  So what I'd do is tell the people who text me most frequently that I was leaving the country and would not call or text back unless they needed me to, and then it didn't end up costing me very much.

There is the option of buying a pre-paid phone once you get to Vegas, it's basically a phone you'll use and throw away, but if Rogers has a reasonable plan, you'd probably spend more on that temporary phone than you will with them.  Plus it's a pain to update all your guests and vendors with a temporary phone number for you.

This is exactly what I did with my carrier AT&T when I went to Turks & Caicos in 2012.  I "upgraded" to an international plan, but immediately turned it off when I got home.  I was prorated only about $10 for the entire week and I didn't end up going over the data that was included in the plan.  Definitely call your carrier and ask. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards