Wedding Woes

Googling to be informed vs. 'snooping'

Dear Prudie,
I work for a small nonprofit. My boss and I were discussing our preparations for a critical daylong event with three high-level officers from an influential foundation we are courting for funding. The event will include a formal presentation of our work and informal time for everyone to get to know each other. I mentioned to my boss that I planned to do an Internet search and read everything I could not only about the foundation but also about the officers, including their professional history, current positions, any articles they have written, etc. My boss was taken aback and suggested it was snooping and that I could get into trouble if I revealed I had prior knowledge about them. He insisted it was better to just be ourselves and let conversation develop naturally. I countered that I saw the event as an interview, and this is the type of preparation that I would do before any interview. I did it to prepare for getting this job! Have I crossed some ethical line with my Googling?

—Searching

Re: Googling to be informed vs. 'snooping'

• I'm with Searching.  I don't see anything with prior research, especially given the context. 

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Snooping would be looking up their addresses on white pages and then doing a google street view and finding out how much they paid for it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • alikatt17 said:
    Snooping would be looking up their addresses on white pages and then doing a google street view and finding out how much they paid for it.
    IT'S PUBLIC RECORD!
  • It totally is, but it's kind of weird to do that kind of research on someone!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • in grad school, i took a marketing class where our final project would be judged by a panel of marketing professionals. our prof told us who they were.

my group googled the SHT out of them, and then tailored our oral presentation to each one personally.  "dave, you and your wife sheila would enjoy X, and you might be able to do X as a family outing with your kids steve and diana."

one guy stood up and was all "WUT" while we cackled.

yes, we all got an a.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards