Catholic Weddings

Hi all

For those of you who were kind enough to answer my question at the end of the NFP...Not for me thread, I thought I'd introduce myself on a non-wierdly-specific-medical-problem note, lol. You ladies are very sweet. Tell me more about yourselves. Where are you from? How did you meet your DH? What do you do for a living? What do you enjoy doing for fun?

I'll start:

I currently work at a community college in the San Francisco bay area. I am originally from a very small town in the Ca central valley area. I met my FI at my old job, when I still worked as a city hall reporter for a daily newspaper.

Re: Hi all

• I was born and raised in Wisconsin and have lived here my whole life (other than the year I spent in France and 3 months in Senegal).  I met DH in high school in French class but we never really talked.  We reconnected a few years ago via facebook.  Started dating summer 2010, engaged spring 2011, married summer 2012 and now expecting our first little one, due in about 6 weeks!   I am a French teacher at the two junior highs in my town.  For fun I love photography and doing outdoorsy things.

How exciting tha tyou're getting married this weekend! Yay!
  • I was born and raised in Wisconsin and have lived here my whole life (other than the year I spent in France and 3 months in Senegal).  I met DH in high school in French class but we never really talked.  We reconnected a few years ago via facebook.  Started dating summer 2010, engaged spring 2011, married summer 2012 and now expecting our first little one, due in about 6 weeks!   I am a French teacher at the two junior highs in my town.  For fun I love photography and doing outdoorsy things.

How exciting tha tyou're getting married this weekend! Yay!
    Senegal! :) How very presidential of you. Yay for Facebook. Congratulations on your growing family!
  • Born in Alabama, raised and live in Texas.

Met DH in highschool 11 years ago.  Started dating after about 6 months, and have been together ever since.  :)

Just got married June 1st.  H works in a bookstore but does commission artwork on the side.  I'm about to start my first year teaching in August :)  

Government/Economics and World History at a Catholic high school.  

I love traveling or just hanging out with DH or family.  

Welcome, Jshillings.  Married in 2 days?  That's awesome!  Come back with pictures!  

Oh, and what do you do at the community college?  Teaching?  Administration?

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    Born in Alabama, raised and live in Texas.

Met DH in highschool 11 years ago.  Started dating after about 6 months, and have been together ever since.  :)

Just got married June 1st.  H works in a bookstore but does commission artwork on the side.  I'm about to start my first year teaching in August :)  

Welcome, Jshillings.  Married in 2 days?  That's awesome!  Come back with pictures!  

Thanks! I'm sure I will post pictures. :) Lol this is my last day of work before the wedding and I am utterly useless. Why am I even here?
  • monkeysip said:
    Born in Alabama, raised and live in Texas.

Thanks! I'm sure I will post pictures. :) Lol this is my last day of work before the wedding and I am utterly useless. Why am I even here?
    I am actually a staff member who works on student programming for our STEM students. I am hoping to become a counselor at some point and actualy use my ed counseling degree, but this was a nice starter job.
  • Also, I love that your DH works at a book store. That was my dream for a long time in college. :) Good luck with teaching! That is amazing. My FSIL is a new teacher too. She loves and hates her job, lol.

• Lol I think teaching can be a lot of love and hate, haha!  It's definitely rough, but it's a really good school, so it should be completely worth it!

He hates the bookstore, haha.  The customers are terrible, and his coworkers are extraordinarily lazy, but apparently, it's impossible to get fired there.  But he stays because it has good benefits, the job itself is relatively easy, and we're hoping he can become more established with his art business so that one day he can sustain an income on just that.

SaveSave
  • That is fantastic that he is pursing art. There are so many folks that aren't willing to follow artistic passions because it is such a hard road at first. Yeah, I kind of gave up on the whole book store idea when I realized I couldn't just stand around all day reading and recommending titles. You mean I woud actually have to do math and balance books too, and deal with crabby customers? No way. Lol

• Originally from Oklahoma, moved to Texas for College, now back in Oklahoma until DH gets transferred somewhere else.  I've been a Biology teacher for five years, and we decided that I would be a SAHM for at least a year.  It makes sense for us -- I took a big paycut when we moved so pretty much all my income would go toward childcare if I kept working, plus the transition from Texas to Oklahoma was incredibly rough and I just decided it was time for a break.  I'm working on some "learn from home" stuff to maybe get a part-time or work-from-home job once things settle down with the baby.

DH and I met at summer camp back in '98.  We were 13 and took Philosophy of Religion together.  He thought I was cute, I dated his friend.  His friend dumped me and then they spent a whole night chucking Oreos at me.  Ahhhh, romance.  =)  We became significantly better friends the year after that, stayed in touch despite living in separate states, started dating in 2004 and got married in 2011.

I currently have no hobbies besides sleeping and staying cool.  I am ready to have this child.

@jshillings1 so do you work on curriculum for STEM?  That sounds like tons of fun.  At my last job before we moved to Oklahoma I was a member of the curriculum writing team for my district and it was one of my favorite things.
    Anniversary

• Hello again!

I'm from Vermont!  Lived here my whole life!  :)

FI and I met in college, in the trombone section of the band we were both in.  I knew that my band-geekery would only bring good things!

Currently work in an office, doing archiving-type stuff.  I'm going to grad school in the fall to study music therapy!

For fun?  Mostly musical activities.  I sing, play a variety of instruments and am a songwriter.  But I also play disc golf, love Magic: The Gathering, and design houses in my "spare" time :)

• Hello!

I'm from California. I originally was born and raised in the LA area and went to Santa Barbara for college. That's where FI and I met, we were both involved in student government.

We have moved to the Bay Area and I work for an electrical contractor doing project administration and I'm currently working on a Masters degree in Public Policy and Management.

For fun, I like to spend time with our dog, read, watch movies, do something active like yoga or hiking. I've recently been getting more into sports...so we have a had a lot of fun going to SF Giants games and following local teams.
  • I'm from central NY.  I went to college at Franciscan University in Ohio and stayed there (Ohio, not college) for nine years before coming home.  FI and I met a little over a year ago on a dating website.  He's from nearer to NYC, but lives about 30 miles away currently. 

I am a family therapist and was just promoted to program supervisor in my office a few weeks ago.  I work with families who have a teen at risk for out of home placement.  FI is a customer service agent for a health insurance company. 

Fun usually means reading, movies, concerts and finding new restaurants to try with the FI.  Fall starts Syracuse University football, so there are sports in my future very soon!

• Hi jshillings!

DH and I are both and live in central Ohio. We have been married for 3 yrs and are expecting our first baby in mid October.

I worked with DH's Mom and met him at a Christmas party in December 2006. We dated for about 2.5 yrs before getting engaged and married in June 2010.

During part of our engagement and the first year of marriage we lived in GA for a job DH had taken right out of college. We have been back in OH for 2 years. We decided we wanted to be closer to family and friends to have kids.

DH is a computer engineer for a small company. I teach infants at a private school, but am currently in school to earn my teaching license. I am almost there, but probably won't finish until after the baby is born. I want to teach kindergarten or first grade - it has been a long time in the making. I plan on going back to work after the baby for a while where I currently work just because we get 50% off tuition which is a huge savings. I struggle with being a SAHM vs. a working Mom, but I know it will all work out.
  • Congrats on your wedding! Pics please.  Moved to NJ when I was 7 from NYC, we still live here now. I work in finance FI does computer coding stuff.  We met through a mutual friend who set us up.  In October we will have been together for 4 years.

Anniversary

• Hi all! Wow, it has been a crazy week. Just got back from our Honeymoon in London! I don't have the pro-pics yet, but here is one a friend took of our first dance.

• A "heading to the church" picture taken by my mom,

• Aww, the top of your dress looks so pretty!  (Can't see the bottom, haha)

London honeymoon?  That sounds awesome!  Congrats!

SaveSave
  • Here is a better one of my dress, :) Even though it isn't the greatest shot of me in the world.
  • Thanks Monkey! :) Yes, the trip was amazing. It was my first time traveling in Europe. Got to see all the tourist sights, but there was still so much left to do. Got to go back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards