Christian Weddings

How are we all doing?

The board has been kinda slow. 
DH and I celebrated our 1st anniversary on Sunday. Here's to another wonderful year together.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How are we all doing?

• Congrats on your anniversary! How did you celebrate @Ash61612? Life is good except my FI had to go back East for his great aunt's memorial service. I miss him, but he's only gone 9 days, so I tell myself I'm lucky it's not 2 or 3 months this time! And while he's gone I get to go add to our registries, so that should keep me busy! :)

I'm starting to feel the crunch, we still haven't ordered our invites (decided to order instead of make for convenience sake). We also have to do more shopping for the Bridesmaid dresses and decide what to do about flowers. Once we get those things done I think I'll feel a bit more on track, as then it will be getting all the little pieces into place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker:)

• Congrats Ash!  Happy anniversary! 

I finished finals last week so I have been bumming around the house, cleaning, cooking, and reading.  It's been very exciting.  Next week I start back at summer school so I am a little bummed but I am starting to get bored.  

We are going hiking tomorrow which I am very excited about.  I don't know where yet but I am sure we will figure it out.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• znd13znd13 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I'm getting ready to fly back to the U.S. on Wednesday...pray that all will go well. A 24 hour trip over the ocean ain't so much fun as you might think. lol 
    I cannot wait to see FI after a year and 3 months!! 
    After arriving I have to rush rush rush to get everything done in time for the wedding exactly a month after arriving! 
  • edited June 2013
    I'm a little late to the party... but...

Things are going well. My biggest wedding stress is the fact that my dress still doesn't fit, and I shouldn't even bother to try and find a place to get it fitted yet, since I know I'll be moving in a month-ish. (And I'm still not sure where I'll be moving to. Yaaaaaaaaaay................) So I'm trying really hard not to think about that.

Honestly, I haven't really worked on any wedding related projects in a while. I've started looking up scrapbooking supplies - it's something I've tried to get into before but didn't ever really do it. I think since I'm DIYing so much stuff for our wedding it would be fun to have a project to do after the wedding, though I know I'll probably try and avoid all things wedding for a while afterwards.

Also, congrats and happy anniversary, @Ash61612! I also want to know how you celebrated. :)
  • Yesterday marked five months until our wedding...we've gotten so much done but there's still so much ahead.

Work is as hectic as ever.

Everything's going great with FI. We have a pre-marital counseling appointment tonight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We celebrated our 2nd anniversary last Tuesday, DS turns 8 months tomorrow, and DH starts his new job next Monday.  As stressful as the last 4 months have been with him not having a job, I've gotten so spoiled having him home with us all day every day.  I know he NEEDS to work so we can, you know, eat and stuff, and this position will pay for his tuition to Seminary starting in January, which is a huge blessing, but I'm a little sad that he won't be here during the day anymore.
  • We've been crazy busy.  DH had to work a 28 hour shift on our anniversary at the beginning of the month, which was hard for me, plus that's when I found out my nana won't get to go home again.  DH had another 28 hour shift the night of the pediatrics' graduation, but I got dressed up and celebrated with the graduating third years anyway.  I had a lot of fun.  That weekend we went to the beach with one of the grads and another friend who is moving away as well. 

This past weekend we were out of town for a wedding.  My friend had been a complete bridezilla.  She even said that DH couldn't come because he's been sick, but he's not contagious, and he should know since he's a doctor!  Her groom, who is also a doctor, tried to explain it to her too, but she didn't want to listen because she was so paranoid about being sick on her honeymoon.  It took way too long to get that straightened out. 

I was a bridal attendant, so I had to be there early to help her get ready, but then we were the odd ones out in some of the pictures.  oh yeah, and pictures took about 2.5 hours.  After pictures I was free to go and I had a great time hanging out with college friends.  The food was delicious, though we'd missed the apps, which I'm told were amazing and plentiful.  I think things wouldn't have bothered me as much if my period hadn't shown up unexpectedly on Saturday - just the thing I want to discover a couple of hours before a wedding when I'm completely unprepared.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yesterday marked five months until our wedding...we've gotten so much done but there's still so much ahead.

Everything's going great with FI. We have a pre-marital counseling appointment tonight.
    How did it go? :)
  • lplions said:
    Yesterday marked five months until our wedding...we've gotten so much done but there's still so much ahead.

How did it go? :)
    Ridiculously well.

We talked with our pastor for about an hour and a half. Not because we had earth-shattering concerns or anything, just questions like, "how soon should we merge our finances?" and minor issues that are pretty typical during an engagement. Our pastor is in his mid-30s, married with young kids and very down-to-earth, so it's really easy to talk with him about the things FI and I deal with.

FI and I had been given homework beforehand (listening to two sermons about marriage and then discussing them) so we reviewed that as well.

We got a lot of good out of it, and our pastor seemed really pleased with well we're communicating. The next session will be in August.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jarednmegan Awesome! Always good to hear when the session goes well.
  • lplions said:
    @jarednmegan Awesome! Always good to hear when the session goes well.
    Definitely :) Sorry things are so up in the air for you with your move. I hope that all works out for you.

And bravo to you for doing DIY stuff for your wedding...money-saving move or not, my eyes glaze over when I read "scrapbooking," "DIY," etc. I admire anyone who can make pretty things because typically, I don't do crafts. :p Mom and I started out thinking we'd make the centerpieces ourselves, but since there could be like 40 tables we decided that might not be such a great idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lplions said:
    Definitely :) Sorry things are so up in the air for you with your move. I hope that all works out for you.

And bravo to you for doing DIY stuff for your wedding...money-saving move or not, my eyes glaze over when I read "scrapbooking," "DIY," etc. I admire anyone who can make pretty things because typically, I don't do crafts. :p Mom and I started out thinking we'd make the centerpieces ourselves, but since there could be like 40 tables we decided that might not be such a great idea.
    40 tables?! How many people are you inviting???
  • Congrats on your anniversary! How did you celebrate @Ash61612

We went to dinner at a fairly new restaurant downtown then came home and cut our top layer of cake. It was ok considering the awful storm aka power outages and freezer hopping it went through last summer. 

Good luck to all the ladies and last minute wedding plans!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Happy anniversary!

I am doing well. I have been unemployed for 6 weeks and finally got a job offer! God is good. Through those times of unemployment, our bills were paid, food was on the table and we had shelter. God provided and I give Him thanks.
  • lplions said:
    lplions said:

40 tables?! How many people are you inviting???
    Like...400. I know, that's a ridiculous amount, and we even pared it down.

Church family accounts for a huge portion of the guest list. My parents and I have been in a close-knit church for nearly 14 years and know most of the congregation fairly well as we're very involved in church activities and committees. A lot of guests from church are young families, so there's tons of kids in the mix.

I tried paring the church group down further, but my mom wouldn't budge and I was tired of arguing about it with her. And there were really only a few people that I was iffy about...I wouldn't have made much of a dent by removing them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mattycam said:
    Happy anniversary!

I am doing well. I have been unemployed for 6 weeks and finally got a job offer! God is good. Through those times of unemployment, our bills were paid, food was on the table and we had shelter. God provided and I give Him thanks.
    Awesome!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd like to change my answer! I woke up this morning went to leave for work, and my car was gone. I almost had a panic attack, and now that I've made all the phone calls (RCMP, Insurance, Work, FI and parents to hitch a ride) I'm starting to feel better, but for a few moments before FI brought me back down to Earth I was feeling devastated. FI reminded me that my car was needing a bunch of work, and so the thief probably did us a favour by taking it. Even though it was a huge shock to find it gone, it may be a blessing in disguise, if it's not found, or found and totalled, we can hopefully get some insurance money to put towards a new one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker:)

• I'd like to change my answer! I woke up this morning went to leave for work, and my car was gone. I almost had a panic attack, and now that I've made all the phone calls (RCMP, Insurance, Work, FI and parents to hitch a ride) I'm starting to feel better, but for a few moments before FI brought me back down to Earth I was feeling devastated. FI reminded me that my car was needing a bunch of work, and so the thief probably did us a favour by taking it. Even though it was a huge shock to find it gone, it may be a blessing in disguise, if it's not found, or found and totalled, we can hopefully get some insurance money to put towards a new one.

I'm picturing the person who took your car...he's stranded on the side of the road with a dead cell phone, praying a cop doesn't stop to help him. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jarednmegan haha! I wouldn't want to make 40 table centerpieces either....... Luckily I only have to make 8 or 9 "big" centerpieces and 8 or 9 small ones.

@flutterfly88 oh no! I hope it all works out for you.
  • lplions said:
    @jarednmegan haha! I wouldn't want to make 40 table centerpieces either....... Luckily I only have to make 8 or 9 "big" centerpieces and 8 or 9 small ones.
    That sounds much more manageable. What kind of centerpieces are you making?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Big tables get 3 vases (I'm spray painting them with "frosted glass" paint) and then floating candles in them. Possibly a few votives on there as well, I haven't quite decided that yet. Small tables will get a few votive candles (in glass holders). I'm leaning towards 3 candles on the cocktail tables. (Apparently having a major E no-no at my reception. Not having a 1:1 seat to butt ratio. But, we're not having a sit-down dinner. Yes, there will be plenty of food to be considered a meal. But no, it's not a sit-down meal.)
  • jarednmeganjarednmegan member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    lplions said:
    Big tables get 3 vases (I'm spray painting them with "frosted glass" paint) and then floating candles in them. Possibly a few votives on there as well, I haven't quite decided that yet. Small tables will get a few votive candles (in glass holders). I'm leaning towards 3 candles on the cocktail tables. (Apparently having a major E no-no at my reception. Not having a 1:1 seat to butt ratio. But, we're not having a sit-down dinner. Yes, there will be plenty of food to be considered a meal. But no, it's not a sit-down meal.)
    How will you pull that off? Not criticizing, I'm sure you know what you're doing :) Just curious. Is it a more casual reception?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've talked to the caterer and the venue, and they have both said for the kind of reception we want, it should be fine. We're going into this with a "it's a party" mindset. Not everyone sits down at the same time to eat at a party. You graze, yea? At least, that's how I like to party when there's good food and an open bar.

So we're doing an appetizer style meal. Half the tables will be seated tables, the other half will be cocktail. But, the thing with the "meal" is we'll open the food up after we do the first dance and the prayer. And then it will be open all night long. So, there won't be a "this is when you eat" time. Which reminds me I need to talk to the caterer because they had a "schedule" for us that I don't like at all. (They put our first dance at 8pm. Uhh....no. Our reception starts at 6. Our first dance will be at 6, or like, 6:05... not 2 hours into the party. Dancing will start immediately.)
  • lplions said:
    I've talked to the caterer and the venue, and they have both said for the kind of reception we want, it should be fine. We're going into this with a "it's a party" mindset. Not everyone sits down at the same time to eat at a party. You graze, yea? At least, that's how I like to party when there's good food and an open bar.

So we're doing an appetizer style meal. Half the tables will be seated tables, the other half will be cocktail. But, the thing with the "meal" is we'll open the food up after we do the first dance and the prayer. And then it will be open all night long. So, there won't be a "this is when you eat" time. Which reminds me I need to talk to the caterer because they had a "schedule" for us that I don't like at all. (They put our first dance at 8pm. Uhh....no. Our reception starts at 6. Our first dance will be at 6, or like, 6:05... not 2 hours into the party. Dancing will start immediately.)
    That sounds like so much fun!

Hopefully it won't take that long for the first dances to happen...I know there's a lot that goes on beforehand but geez.

I haven't discussed the reception timeline yet with our DJ...all I know is that the reception starts IMMEDIATELY after the ceremony. We're getting married and having the reception all in the same area, with very little tear-down and setup in between.

We're doing a first look, so all WP pictures will be taken beforehand. We'd hate for guests to have to sit around and wait for us, since no travel will be necessary to get to the reception.

So these things will hopefully prevent the formalities from dragging on too terribly late. We'll have a lot of families with young children, so we don't want them to miss out on too much if they have to leave early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    We didn't do a First Look (still totally happy with that), but we were about 30 minutes behind when we wanted to get to the reception.  We had light hors d'oeurves and mocktails for the guests as they arrived to the Fellowship Hour at the Reception Hall, though. 

When we got to the reception, we did the wedding party introductions, immediately did our First Dance, and then my dad welcomed everyone and prayed for the food.  We had a buffet, so our DJ called table numbers to prevent everyone from rushing the buffet line (us, bridal party and spouses, and our parents were the first tables called...we didn't do a head table.  We sat at a "sweetheart table" and then had two tables for our wedding party and their spouses).

By the time DH and I finished eating, we were ready for my dance with my dad and his dance with his mom, and then we did the Anniversary Dance (in lieu of the garter and bouquet tosses).  Cut the cake, mingled (we didn't get to eat our big slices of cake because people started leaving and we wanted to make sure we talked to everyone, and then, um...forgot...to eat the pieces we took to the hotel that night), and ended up leaving about an hour after we thought we would.  

Our reception was about 4 hours long, and I wish we could have had about 2 more hours with everyone.  I know a big part of that was the fact that we were leaving for our Honeymoon early the next morning and then flying directly to Kansas (DH had been there about 4 1/2 months already, and I was joining him).
  • Speaking of cake, at my friend's wedding this past weekend, they didn't serve the cake at the wedding.  They had a dessert bar, and the cake was in little bags for us on the way out.  I ate mine on the plane ride back home.  Best wedding cake I've eaten, besides ours.  Cake makes flying a lot better.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards