North Carolina-Outer Banks

Having a friend marry us on the beach???

Hello Outer Banks Brides... 

Not sure if this has been posted before, but i have not seen it in any current blogs... We are from Virginia and are getting married in the OBX in Sept. 2014 at the KittyHawk Peir House... We want our Friend to marry us... In Virginia you can have someone Ordained for the day, but everything I have read in NC says you can't do that in this state.  

Is the any bride out there that has had a friend marry them on the beach and how did you do it???

Kathy  

Re: Having a friend marry us on the beach???

• I am actually planning on doing the same thing.  We are just going to get married legally in the courthouse in DC where we live when we get back.  To us, it won't be any less official if the ceremony isn't legal, that's just paperwork.  I do want to follow this thread in case there is some sort of beach use license or some random thing that I'm missing.  
  • I know several brides who have done this, they have to be ordained in a certain way, but I have no idea what it is, I'm hoping some of them pop in over the weekend to help you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dad was ordained online and performed my brother's OBX wedding and then my brother was ordained online for mine. NC doesn't even ask for any kind of proof and you don't have to do anything in advance, their name and title just goes on the wedding license. Easy peasy!
  • ShelleyW2013ShelleyW2013 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_having-a-friend-marry-us-on-the-beach?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:10ca395a-7079-4587-9abb-7ddddcc392cbPost:c731b48f-efa0-4dd0-b160-89a893302bd4">Re: Having a friend marry us on the beach???</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dad was ordained online and performed my brother's OBX wedding and then my brother was ordained online for mine. NC doesn't even ask for any kind of proof and you don't have to do anything in advance, their name and title just goes on the wedding license. Easy peasy!
    Posted by littlemsmagic138[/QUOTE]
     <div>Do you know where online he was ordained?  Everything I am seeing says that you can't do that in North Carolina.  </div>
  • My aunt is marrying us, and she got ordained through the American Fellowship Church. Other brides have used them as well. To be safe I suppose we'll have her come with us when we get our marriage license, in case they ask for her proof or ordination or whatnot.

• edited April 2013
    No fee or permit required to marry on the beach (at least in Kill Devil Hills!)
  • HMWKHMWK member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Did your father or brother have to register with the county? I will be getting my marriage license from Currituck
  • I am planning to have a recently ordained friend do our wedding ceremony in OBX. I dont think it will be a problem. We just need to provide her ordained minister number to the courthouse. I hope I am not wrong about this because we weren't planning on going to the courthouse at home.
    I'll do some more research and re post later.
    yogi Bride
  • I am planning to have a recently ordained friend do our wedding ceremony in OBX. I dont think it will be a problem. We just need to provide her ordained minister number to the courthouse. I hope I am not wrong about this because we weren't planning on going to the courthouse at home.
    I'll do some more research and re post later.

You need to go to the courthouse in the county you are getting married in. Either Dare or Currituck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards