Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Budget Bridal Warning

I went with Budget Bridal (Jennifer) to do my cake. I was skeptical about using her since the reviews I read on her wasn't very good. My mother called her and spoke with her concerning the unsatisfaction of past clients. It seemed all went well and everything was cleared up. Considering her low budget price, we booked with her. Although, she does flowers and other services, I decided to just do the cake, not wanting to take that much risk. Well it is 18 days until my wedding. I paid my balance in full on 6/22 (over the phone) and that same day Jennifer told me that she would email me my receipt. It is 7/2 and I have yet to receive it. I emailed her on 6/25 and have called her twice, 6/28 and 7/1, with leaving a message. She did not get back with me. I was able to reach her today; I called her from another phone number and amazingly she answered. She acted surprised that I haven't received the receipt (but I've been calling you leaving messages that I haven't). She claimed that she sent it from her phone and she doesn't know why it didn't go through. All it takes is a courtesy call or email to let me know what is going on. HOPEFULLY, today when she gets back to the office, she will send it to me like she said she would. HOPEFULLY, she was just REALLY busy and this was all a misunderstanding. HOPEFULLY, I will be able to reach her when I need to when the wedding gets closer. HOPEFULLY, she delivers on time and the cake turns out ok. UGH, I just feel that if you have time to charge my card, then there is time to email me the receipt. It worries me, because I don't know what is going on. I have already heard of a couple of businesses going out of business since I've been planning my wedding. I'm trying to make sure that I am not getting scammed. I feel that if you can't get back with your client regarding a issue so small then there's a problem. I have only spoken with her; it seems as though she is the only one in the company. I just wanted to let other brides know the issues I am having. I will give an update about Budget Bridal after the wedding. Praying all goes well.

Re: Budget Bridal Warning

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013

Wait, so you have only ever spoken to her?  Are you telling me you never went for a cake tasting?  Was one even offered?  I sure as hell would never have paid in full for a cake that I haven't had a chance to taste.  What if it tastes like shit and you have no clue until your wedding day?

• I went by her office and had a cake tasting. It is a small office and I only seen one other person while we were there for the tasting. The cake tasted good and with the low price we figured why not. Since then I have only spoken with her over the phone. She is the only one that answers. I believe it is her cell; there isn't any other number.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

If using a place called "Budget Bridal" wasn't enough of clue of the potential lack of quality in the customer service....

Yipes.

• itzMSitzMS member

@swissmiss1588, I just looked up this company's reviews. They are HORRIBLE.

Get a back up plan ASAP. It sounds like this is just a horrendous company with customer service and quality problems all around.

• How much of a low price did she have compared to other places? I thought the cake we picked out to feed 120 people for $516 was cheap
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • For a 4 tier wedding cake (120 servings) and a grooms cake (50 servings) we paid $447. An estimate I received from a different company was around $900 (don't remember exactly, it was awhile ago).
  • I know you usually get what you pay for but considering the cake tasting was good and they were referred by Granberry Hills, our venue, and was listed in the Wedding Guide, I thought I could give her benefit of the doubt. I will definitely discuss a back up plan with my fiance.
  • I guess my fiancé and I got a great deal! I hope everything works out for you in the end!
  • For a 4 tier wedding cake (120 servings) and a grooms cake (50 servings) we paid $447. An estimate I received from a different company was around $900 (don't remember exactly, it was awhile ago).

See to me, that doesn't even sound that cheap. It's not crazy, but not cheap either. We found a couple local bakeries (not just wedding cake shops) who quoted me around $350 for a 4 tier round cake with 160 servings.

What design are you going for? If you scale back the design, you can get better prices.
  • @Jessica41381 and PDKH,

Who did you have to do your cake? Live in San Antonio, Texas?

• @swissmiss1588 I'm in Maryland , and had desserts by Rita do our cake..
  • I'm in STL so I'm not too much help, sorry.

But poke around for those local, family-owned bakeries that don't necessarily cater to just wedding (as soon as you slap wedding or bridal on something the price goes up). I found the two bakers I liked by googling around for favorite neighborhood bakers. Their cakes taste every bit as good as the big wedding people, but were almost half the cost. They are also more likely to cut you a deal.
  • Maybe your caterer if you have one can recommend someone that's how we found ours.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    Whatever you do, ALWAYS read the online reviews first on Yelp or Yahoo.
  • itzMS said:

Yeah, I should have specified that this is what I meant by "googling" around. I've examined reviews for every single vendor we have hired.
  • itzMS said:

Yeah, I should have specified that this is what I meant by "googling" around. I've examined reviews for every single vendor we have hired.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards