Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Venue searching-mind meltdown

Re: Venue searching-mind meltdown

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013

Is there something about it you don't like?  Or are you just afraid you are missing something?

It reminds me a little of Addison Event Center although I like the Atrium/ceremony space at Noah's better. You could look at Victor's Event room in Grand Prairie also for a little more rustic charm (although I am not sure they offer much of a ceremony option). 

Noah's/Windsor/Milestone, etc. are venues that are meant for mostly weddings and nothing else so they are going to look relatively the same and offer relatively the same amenities.  If you like Noah's and it suits your guest list and budget, then go with it. 

• It's not necessarily anything specific I don't like about it. I guess to me since I had always pictured an outdoor wedding (beach to be exact), the idea of having EVERYTHING inside sort of gets to me. At the Milestone and the Orchard there's at least an outdoor option for the ceremony. I know it sounds a little trivial but I think that that is the biggest thing keeping me from committing to Noah's. Plus I am so neurotic about researching EVERYTHING I feel the need to at least explore the hand full of places that I had deduced everything to. I think at the very least I want to check out The Mileston since it offers an all-inclusive option, which is what FI originally insisted he'd prefer.From the info given to me from the Milestone with as much as they offer within the price it is still in our budget with less work to worry about. I'm going out there tomorrow with my mother to check it out. I feel like if I am not going to go an all-inclusive route, then Noah's would be our best bet.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    One thing about Milestone is that I believe you are limited to their alcohol provider so make sure you ask about that.

I can totally understand about wanting an outdoor ceremony. I really did like the look of Noah's Atrium though. If you are considering the warmer months however, inside is best.
  • One thing about Milestone is that I believe you are limited to their alcohol provider so make sure you ask about that. I can totally understand about wanting an outdoor ceremony. I really did like the look of Noah's Atrium though. If you are considering the warmer months however, inside is best.
    That is true. I had a friend get married there in March, and they couldn't even have Champagne in the bridal suite while getting ready without having to pay for the extra hours of alcohol service. If they got caught sneaking in their own it would be a ridiculous fee, like $500.
    She said it wasn't worth it, and didn't drink until the reception. That would make me sad. I love Champagne.
  • Haha, I was so antsy the day of our wedding I was afraid if I drank anything I'd a) throw up or b) have to pee every five seconds.
    Anniversary

• Went and saw the Milestone today. I was pretty impressed actually. For some reason I could see my wedding more there than noah's. I also was impressed with the all inclusive pricing, primarily because they offer a 20% discount for Friday and Sunday weddings, a 10% additional discount if you book January or February, and a $500 military discount (which includes immediate family members as well, not just the bride and groom). So with pretty much instead of paying $11k-ish it brought it down to $9k. The one thing that does kind of get me is the fact that their classic package food wise is just hors d'oeuvres. I feel strange having a evening time reception/ceremony without having dinner to my guests, especially if they are going to be commuting anywhere from 40 min - 1 hour to be there. I mentioned a Sunday instead to FI that way we could do it at 2 ish and it would serve as an in between meal for lunch and dinner. He on the other hand wasn't so interested...sigh.
  • Yeah, if you want an evening wedding you really need to do a full meal.
  • I highly recommend serving something more substantial than just appetizers at an evening wedding, especially if you will be serving alcohol.  If I drove 40 minutes and all I got were crab cakes, I would be leaving early.
  • That's the way I look at it too. But that might take some convincing.
  • Even with a 2 pm Sunday wedding, you should definitely consider serving something more substantial.  My wedding was at 2 pm, and we served dinner around 5:30, which is pretty early for some people, but it's still dinner time.
    Anniversary

• Well they offer two hors d'oeuvres automatically, but you can add additional ones for $8 per person per each additional item, and they also offer a potatotini option, and a macaroni-tini option. Plus their normal meat/cheese platter that they offer. I don't know. It's an extra $4k to add a buffet and about the same price to do outside catering services.
  • I emailed them to find out exactly what it would cost to do the alternate option of the buffet instead with all the discounts. 
  • Well they offer two hors d'oeuvres automatically, but you can add additional ones for $8 per person per each additional item, and they also offer a potatotini option, and a macaroni-tini option. Plus their normal meat/cheese platter that they offer. I don't know. It's an extra $4k to add a buffet and about the same price to do outside catering services.
    I think it would be a deal breaker for me if a venue's "standard" option for dinner did not, in fact, include a real dinner.  I mean, you might check some prices at other places you're considering and find that the "extra $4K" brings the price to something comparable to the other places, but it just seems weird to me.  You don't host an evening party without serving dinner, and it blows my mind that venues (not you) would think it's okay to even suggest that.  As I said earlier, even with a Sunday afternoon wedding, you're probably going to run into dinnertime unless you plan on cutting your reception REALLY short.  With that situation, if you don't serve a substantial meal, you'll probably have people leaving early because they're hungry.
    Anniversary

• When we first started our wedding planning and looked at 809 victory we then decided on the Omni at Fort Worth. The Omni was more affordable and did more than what the other would. Our wedding is June 29 and the Omni has been absolutely wonderful and are taking care of every detail.
    My first wedding was at the YWCA downtown and you should look at that. It was very affordable and we were able to bring all of our own catering and alcohol.
  • The lady from The Milestone did email me back a new quote that included the buffet option with all the various discounts and it ended up being $12k. Which is still reasonable I suppose. I don't think I could really consider having a wedding without including dinner. Food is important to me personally and we want our friends and family to enjoy the celebration. We essentially just want a giant party celebrating our marriage so to speak. So at this point I'm thinking of really just considering Noah's so that we can really put forth the money towards the details that are important to us: food, alcohol, convenience for everyone. Decor isn't a huge deal because there are some things I personally would make my projects and I think would be fairly easy to dress up the space like us. So outside of those items the dj and photography would be key areas. We live in the mid-cities so Noah's being in Irving is really central to everyone including any out of town guests that we might have. The only crappy part is that they don't offer many discounts and they are not open on Sundays so that would mean we would go for a Friday night. However, since it's central to everyone no one except the bridal party would have to miss work or anything just to be there.
  • Come to find out, Noah's doesn't set up anything additional brought in. This MAY be a deal breaker. One thing that really bothered FI and I about my sister's wedding, was the fact that people had to "work" setting up and tearing down the wedding reception/ceremony. This is something both FI and I agreed we did not want to have to ask our friends and family to do for ours. My mom claims she would be willing to help, but to me it's the principle. Now I'm just confused on what to do. I contacted the Orchard and at least what few decor items they offer I could at least see being part of our wedding and being happy with that and a few items here and there. I feel Noah's might need more.

Advice ladies? Am I just being too picky now?
  • Is a day-of- coordinator an option?
    I guess it would depend on pricing. I feel like if it gets to where it's going to cost around the same as being at the Milestone, then I might as well book there since there is so much included already.
  • Honestly, even if the venue provides their own on-site coordinator, it might be worth it to hire someone yourself.  When you rely on a venue's coordinator, you're dealing with someone who works for your VENUE, not YOU.  Whereas a day-of coordinator who you've hired answers to YOU and YOU, only.

Also, there's plenty of DOCs for not-a-lot of money, and I think they're sooooooooo worth it.  As you said, you don't want to be asking family and friends to do work for you on a day when all they should be doing is celebrating.  And you DEFINITELY don't want to be stressed for one second about wedding details on your wedding day.

I don't think you're being picky at all.
    Anniversary

• I think you really need to put pen to paper and list all the costs/pros/cons of both venues (or 3 if you include the Orchard) and see which one comes out ahead.  If you like the venues evenly, then let cost be the deciding factor.

Just please, for your guests' sake, include a full meal with any option. 

• I think you really need to put pen to paper and list all the costs/pros/cons of both venues (or 3 if you include the Orchard) and see which one comes out ahead.  If you like the venues evenly, then let cost be the deciding factor.

Just please, for your guests' sake, include a full meal with any option. 

I don't think I could go through with not feeding family and friends. It just doesn't feel right otherwise.
  • When I went back and looked at pricing for The Orchard in comparison to Noah's, Noah's is more expensive by a couple thousand. So despite that it's in Azle and isn't right in our backyard (so to speak) I think if I were to pick a non all inclusive venue I honestly would prefer this one. Primarily because it offers a outside ceremony space which as I previously mentioned are one of my big things. I wasn't "Crazy" about the indoor ceremony space at Noah's. At the Milestone I actually really liked the indoor ceremony space.
  • Can you go see the Orchard?  You seem to have been leaning towards it so go see it in person and let us know what you think.

• My schedule and FI schedules do not usually match up so that we can. I'm really going to try and manage to get him to go to The Orchard and The Milestone so he can see both. Although I have a friend who went and saw that venue and stated all the pictures she saw before going there, she stated it looked like the pictures. I try to get FI to look at the pricing and some pictures of The Orchard to get his thoughts on it too since it would be cheaper and we could have a Saturday for less than what Noah's was for a Friday.
  • I can't seem to get The Milestone out of my head. I now kind of feel like The Orchard I only like for the outdoor options. But everything about The Milestone seems great in terms of the way it looks and feels. I don't know if that's good or bad.
  • Did you price the Milestone with the alcohol? You are required to use their provider I believe. If it feels right, go for it!
  • No I haven't priced the alcohol yet. But I really think if we went through Noah's it probably would end up costing around the same possibly more with each individual thing. The Milestone includes:

Package includes: 

Ceremony in the Location of your choice (Elegant Indoor Ceremony Room or one of our Scenic Outdoor Locations) 

Exclusive use of our Luxurious Bridal Suite for the Entire Day of your Ceremony 

Private use of our Grooms Lounge 

Wedding Coordinator for Rehearsal and Day of Wedding Coordination 

Use of our Entire facility for bridal portraits and engagement photos 

Use of our Ceremony Hall for your Wedding Rehearsal 

Elegant Reception in our Grand Ballroom 

Floral and Wedding Décor for the Wedding and Reception 

Multiple choices of Linens on all Tables in our Grand Ballroom 

Silverware, China, Glassware 

Spacious Dance Floor 

Custom DJ Services 

Hot Buffet 

Custom 3 Tier Wedding Cake 

Custom Grooms Cake 

Complimentary Cake Cutting Services 

Unlimited Iced Tea, Water, Coffee, and Soft Drinks 

• FI keeps saying he wants as much all inclusive but isn't a deal breaker, but doesn't wanna have to really plan or do work. But at this point, I really can picture myself getting married at The Milestone rather than Noah's. I feel if I had the money to appoint someone to do the decorating and such then Noah's would probably win just due to distance and convenience. But what items are included at The Milestone is enough for me and I could easily just add small items here and there to make it a little more personal. I also thought it might be easier for an all inclusive setting due to just having deal with one giant contract for the most part, rather than several individual ones.
  • All inclusive is great there is no doubt. I did not want to have to worry about anything except getting ready on my wedding day. That was plenty!

I know I have a review of the Milestone from a recent Knottie so I'll look at it Monday to see if it mentions anything you might need to know (although I know the alcohol expense was mentioned).
  • I remember reading somewhere that even when getting ready there was not to be a drop of alcohol consumed by anyone without being charged extra hours. Which I'm going to have to add anyways. There's no doubt that FI, my dad, and his friends would not drink at some point during the day of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards