Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Orange or Raspberry???

Our baker has two absolutely amazing flavors: orange creamsicle cake or yellow cake with raspberry mousse filling. We can't decide. Neither of the flavors are overwhelming or heavy. FI voted creamsicle cake with raspberry filling which I don't think is a good idea at all. They are yummy separate but together just seems like it would be too much. So what do you guys think? Orange or raspberry? Considering we'd also like our guests to enjoy the cake, I'd like opinions on what sounds better to others.
 Visit The Knot!                                           image
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Orange or Raspberry???

• Jessica41381Jessica41381 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Orange! Our wedding cake is having two tiers of orange with vanilla butter cream! We chose vanilla and chocolate for the bottom tier.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If this is your only flavor, I think yellow cake with raspberry filling would be a more traditional option and appeal to more people.  I would not be interested in orange cake.
  • I don't like creamsicle anything so my vote is for the yellow cake with raspberry filling. Sounds yummy.
  • You're heartless and cruel to throw those flavors out there and ask me to choose only one. 

If I must.....raspberry. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Yellow with raspberry.

I would worry that the orange flavor would taste a bit too...fake.

• Can you do a tier of each?  they both sound delicious!

• kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I would prefer raspberry.
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    If you have to choose one, then I'm in camp lemon-raspberry. Sounds delicious!

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • The orange cake sounds really good between the two choices.

• raspberry sometimes the orange can come off as to artifical tasting 
  • Can you taste a sample with the combination of the two flavors?  (I used to do wedding cakes and most bakeries I know of can do small custom sample requests for brides).  I actually love the combination of orange and raspberry, so I'd want to taste it if possible!

If I had to pick one or the other, I'd probably go with the raspberry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't really care for fruit flavored cakes so I'd prefer the yellow w/ raspberry filling. I'd also add a layer of something more"boring" like vanilla or chocolate.
  • I'd prefer raspberry. Creamsicle is a little too sweet and fake IMO.
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    My bakery says raspberry is their #1 selling wedding cake filling---I think that would be the bigger crowd pleaser.
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    snippet17 said:

SKPM said:

If you have to choose one, then I'm in camp lemon-raspberry. Sounds delicious!

I don't like lemon is a choice. :/

Reading fail on my part. I pictured a yellow cake and later thought it was lemon :/

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • I am more boring when it comes to cake (I prefer plain chocolate or vanilla) so I wouldn't like either of those options.  But I think you would be safer choosing the raspberry over the orange.

• I agree with Maggie.  It's good to have "boring" options for weddings, so that you can please more of your guests.  I know several people that dislike fruit flavored/filled anything.  I myself dislike orange things, especially creamsicles.  I would prefer the raspberry :)
  • Yellow with raspberry! Yummyyyyyy.
  • Have different layers be different flavors... and even have a few cakes held back that are "regular" flavors such as white cake with white buttercream icing and yellow cake with chocolate icing...you could offer those to your "picky" guests after cutting the cake :)
  • As much as I love orange and hate raspberry, I have to agree that raspberry is the safer choice. People who don't like raspberry can just eat around the layer of filling, whereas if someone doesn't like orange, the whole slice of cake will taste like it and then they will be sad because they didn't get to eat cake. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You could do different flavours on different layers.  But the raspberry gets my vote.
  • Yellow with raspberry filling.
  • my first thought was "Mmmmmm.... orange raspberry!" when I read your post title.  Oh, well, I also eat those chocolate oranges and a chocolate candy bar that has real ginger in it.  Delish!  but I guess that wouldn't be a good thing to serve the guest, most probably wouldn't like it.    So, either or, not the mix.  :-(
    I want a love like Johnny & June!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards