Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Vendor reviews

seaotter910seaotter910 member
First Comment
Our wedding was June 23, and it was perfect! We've had so many compliments on our wedding, which I will mention when I review each item. However, I will say that no one believed we did it all on 15k, everyone thought we had spent 50k+. A lot of my family and his family comes from a lot of money, so believe me when I say we have all been to weddings that did actually cost upwards of 50k, so this was a huge compliment! Hopefully my reviews will help people who are on a budget but want something that doesn't look that way! Venue: The Orion Ballroom-A This was a great choice for our venue! Do not be turned off by the fact it's in "oak cliff", no one will care or notice. I have a lot of family from highland park and no one said anything about it's location, only about how nice it was. This venue has 360 degree views of Dallas, which were gorgeous at night. It also has separate spaces for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, as well as rooms for the bride and groom to get ready and even an additional room with tv and video games if you wanted to set up babysitting. The coordinators were very nice and helpful. Their original girl, Brynn went on maternity leave, but the girl they brought in, brooklynn, was just as nice and helpful. Tables, basic linens, silver wear, chivari chairs are all included. We also had open bar, champagne toastmast, uplighting, and our name on a gobo additional but it still was all very affordable. The day before the wedding they also gave us silver/gray overlays for free because they discovered they went with our colors and they had them. Catering and Cake: beyond the box catering, Chef Doug Brown-A This is the caterer for the Orion. Simply put...the food and cake were delicious and amazing. People are still talking about it! We had a Jewish Ceremony and Reception, and while we are not so observant we needed a kosher caterer, we did have laws to follow. The catering company worked with all our restrictions without a problem. We did an Asian display for cocktail hour (sushi, spring rolls, chicken and beef skewers) and they were sure to leave out any shellfish like we requested. For dinner we had beef carving, a pasta station, and grilled vegetables, and they were sure to prepare it all without dairy. The cake was also just how I wanted it designed, and the flavor was superb! We also had mini pies in lieu of a grooms cake...all delicious as well! Flowers: Gladys Rodriguez with Zoeys Flower Garden-A You might remember we had an outrageous first flower quote, so I got Gladys' name from someone else on the knot. I am so thankful I did! She was amazing. She did everything we asked for and more for about 1/6 the previous quote. Her work is fabulous! She even decorates our chuppah which was a first for her, but you would never know! She is so nice and easy to work with and truly loves what she does. All her personal touches really added to the ceremony and reception. DJ: Melody from Melodies and Memories-A Melody is amazing and everything she did for us for the price was outstanding. She was not only the reception DJ, but also ran the accompanying CD for our ceremony musician, and even acted as a day of coordinator. We didn't ask her to, but she just jumped in and did it. Her personality is very fun and outgoing and she kept everyone involved all night and kept the music and dancing going right till the end. She even helped teach some people to wobble! All in all, I can't say enough good things about her and I'm a little sad I have no reason to continue working with her. She is another vendor we continue to get compliments on. Photography: Jacob and Heather King from Appleguy Photography-A Jacob and Heather are a great husband and wife team. They were excellent to work with and as we found out also happened to be Jewish which was great because they knew how to capture all the unique aspects of a Jewish Ceremony. They took over 4000 pictures, which were all awesome. We even got a disk of the pictures before we left for the night. Jacob is very easy to get a hold of and worked to create the package I wanted. They were great additions to the day, but also unobtrusive and I hardly noticed they were there! I have no idea how I am going to narrow the pictures down for my wedding album! Videography: Jerry Hassle HVP productions I haven't seen the video so I cant give an accurate grade. However, this was a last minute thing I decided I wanted, like 2 weeks out. Jerry worked with what was left of our budget ($350) and gave us complete ceremony coverage, and three hours of the reception. We are supposed to get the video with the ceremony, reception highlights, guest interviews, and all raw footage on 4 DVDs. He was also unobtrusive and I barely noticed him. I think for the price and the fact this was a last minute thought, whatever I get I willl be happy with! I'll edit once I see the video though Photobooth: 123 funtography-A This was a hit! Everyone loved it! We got the photobooth, our logo for the pictures, and a large assortment of props for a very reasonable price. They worked with our budget and other offers. My moms friend got this for us as her gift, but I believe for around 400, we got everything mentioned for 3 hours, plus a memory book of all the photos, and a cd of the photos. Everyone loved this, especially the kids. I believe that is everyone. I don't think the As with a million plus signs are necessary but everyone has my highest rating

Re: Vendor reviews

• I wrote this on my iPad and when I hit preview it's spaced out and formatted but every time I post it, it's one long paragraph. I've tried editing a few times but if it looks like a long mess when you view it I'm really sorry. Idk how to fix it because when I hit preview it looks fine! I'm really sorry!
  • Yay, I love reviews!  Let's see if this is better:

Venue: The Orion Ballroom-A This was a great choice for our venue! Do not be turned off by the fact it's in "oak cliff", no one will care or notice. I have a lot of family from highland park and no one said anything about it's location, only about how nice it was. This venue has 360 degree views of Dallas, which were gorgeous at night. It also has separate spaces for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, as well as rooms for the bride and groom to get ready and even an additional room with tv and video games if you wanted to set up babysitting. The coordinators were very nice and helpful. Their original girl, Brynn went on maternity leave, but the girl they brought in, brooklynn, was just as nice and helpful. Tables, basic linens, silver wear, chivari chairs are all included. We also had open bar, champagne toastmast, uplighting, and our name on a gobo additional but it still was all very affordable. The day before the wedding they also gave us silver/gray overlays for free because they discovered they went with our colors and they had them.

Catering and Cake: beyond the box catering, Chef Doug Brown-A This is the caterer for the Orion. Simply put...the food and cake were delicious and amazing. People are still talking about it! We had a Jewish Ceremony and Reception, and while we are not so observant we needed a kosher caterer, we did have laws to follow. The catering company worked with all our restrictions without a problem. We did an Asian display for cocktail hour (sushi, spring rolls, chicken and beef skewers) and they were sure to leave out any shellfish like we requested. For dinner we had beef carving, a pasta station, and grilled vegetables, and they were sure to prepare it all without dairy. The cake was also just how I wanted it designed, and the flavor was superb! We also had mini pies in lieu of a grooms cake...all delicious as well!

Flowers: Gladys Rodriguez with Zoeys Flower Garden-A You might remember we had an outrageous first flower quote, so I got Gladys' name from someone else on the knot. I am so thankful I did! She was amazing. She did everything we asked for and more for about 1/6 the previous quote. Her work is fabulous! She even decorates our chuppah which was a first for her, but you would never know! She is so nice and easy to work with and truly loves what she does. All her personal touches really added to the ceremony and reception.

DJ: Melody from Melodies and Memories-A Melody is amazing and everything she did for us for the price was outstanding. She was not only the reception DJ, but also ran the accompanying CD for our ceremony musician, and even acted as a day of coordinator. We didn't ask her to, but she just jumped in and did it. Her personality is very fun and outgoing and she kept everyone involved all night and kept the music and dancing going right till the end. She even helped teach some people to wobble! All in all, I can't say enough good things about her and I'm a little sad I have no reason to continue working with her. She is another vendor we continue to get compliments on.

Photography: Jacob and Heather King from Appleguy Photography-A Jacob and Heather are a great husband and wife team. They were excellent to work with and as we found out also happened to be Jewish which was great because they knew how to capture all the unique aspects of a Jewish Ceremony. They took over 4000 pictures, which were all awesome. We even got a disk of the pictures before we left for the night. Jacob is very easy to get a hold of and worked to create the package I wanted. They were great additions to the day, but also unobtrusive and I hardly noticed they were there! I have no idea how I am going to narrow the pictures down for my wedding album!

Videography: Jerry Hassle HVP productions I haven't seen the video so I can’t give an accurate grade. However, this was a last minute thing I decided I wanted, like 2 weeks out. Jerry worked with what was left of our budget ($350) and gave us complete ceremony coverage, and three hours of the reception. We are supposed to get the video with the ceremony, reception highlights, guest interviews, and all raw footage on 4 DVDs. He was also unobtrusive and I barely noticed him. I think for the price and the fact this was a last minute thought, whatever I get I will be happy with! I'll edit once I see the video though.

Photobooth: 123 funtography-A This was a hit! Everyone loved it! We got the photobooth, our logo for the pictures, and a large assortment of props for a very reasonable price. They worked with our budget and other offers. My mom’s friend got this for us as her gift, but I believe for around 400, we got everything mentioned for 3 hours, plus a memory book of all the photos, and a cd of the photos. Everyone loved this, especially the kids. I believe that is everyone. I don't think the As with a million plus signs are necessary but everyone has my highest rating.

• Thanks for reviewing! I love reading vendor reviews!
  • Thanks stephiehall! That's what it should look like and kept saying it looked like when I hit preview, but then...no such luck in real life!
  • I'm glad to hear the orion ball room was great. I  am having my wedding their in November the venue is beautiful and at a great price.  Our budget is about the same as well. 
  • I have no complaints about it at Orion, only compliments. It was great, you will love it and so will your guests!
  • Very interested in the follow up on your videography! Love reviews!!
  • If I may ask, how many guests did you have?
  • We had about 110 RSVP, so that's what we paid for, but I think closer to 100 actually showed up
  • I like how you customized the menu instead of going with the one entree or two entree.  I think I will be doing that as well.
  • I booked Jerry for videography too! I'm excited to hear how yours turned out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards