Wedding Etiquette Forum

guest list and family

2»

Re: guest list and family

• BarbLovesDaveBarbLovesDave member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    fyrefly76 said:

Guests invited to these events should remember that the really hard and fast rule is inviting married/engaged couples (plus same-sex who live together as if married in states where marriage is not allowed).

What about same-sex couples who live together as if married in states where marriage IS allowed?  Because they CAN get married, MUST they get married?

Then the rule loses the same-sex exception.

Married/engaged couples (opposite or same-sex) must be invited to an event. End.

SO couples are at the discretion of the host. And, yes, I would hope the host is generous in their definition of SO couples.

ETA: I wrote "same-sax" then saw the typo. How funny.
  • i don't think people read the post correctly - the sister wants to bring a neighborhood girlfriend, not a date. No, you don't need to allow her to bring a friend. It's not a movie outing.

Exactly. And the wedding invite is not a transferable ticket.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    i don't think people read the post correctly - the sister wants to bring a neighborhood girlfriend, not a date. No, you don't need to allow her to bring a friend. It's not a movie outing.
    @TheBaysideBride, no, OP modified her post (even though it was quoted). She initially mentioned this in it as well:

" we decided that among his family the people who get a guest are those who are married or engaged. Among friends and siblings only those who were in a serious relationship when we got engaged are allowed a date"

Aka they're only inviting people who are married, engaged, or who were already serious when they got engaged (which I assume means she's excluding any relationship that starts between now and when invites go out as well as those she didn't deem serious with her special relationship judging abilities at the time they got engaged).
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
  • edited July 2013
    I deleted it because that was not the problem. We have no problem NOT inviting unmarried or unengaged S/O or our guests, nor do we plan to change that.. the issue was strictly related to a sister who thought it was appropriate to bring a friend as a date, before she was even told she was allowed to have a date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards