Asian Weddings

Vietnamese American Wedding New Orleans - HOW?

Looking for advice on how to incorportate Viet customs in a wedding in New Orleans.  Has anyone had to do it in a hotel?  Typically this is done at the parents (families) home so I am not sure my approach.

Thoughts?

Re: Vietnamese American Wedding New Orleans - HOW?

• I guess it depends on how much you want to incorporate. I went to a wedding last year where they did the vietnamese tea ceremony in the morning, went to the catholic church in the afternoon, and had the reception at a Hyatt hotel in Downtown Seattle. I am skipping the tea ceremony, we will be going and visiting the tables individually during the dinner and I may wear an Ao Dai, but that's the extent.

I guess it also depends on your family, their expectations, and how much you want.
  • huynhette said:
    I guess it depends on how much you want to incorporate. I went to a wedding last year where they did the vietnamese tea ceremony in the morning, went to the catholic church in the afternoon, and had the reception at a Hyatt hotel in Downtown Seattle. I am skipping the tea ceremony, we will be going and visiting the tables individually during the dinner and I may wear an Ao Dai, but that's the extent.

I guess it also depends on your family, their expectations, and how much you want.
    We also had a tea ceremony (Le Don Dau) at 11 AM, served lunch, and then had our Catholic Mass at 3:30 PM.  There was a small gap (expected in the Viet culture) so guests can return to their hotels/homes to change and rest for the reception to start at 7 PM.

As far as things to incorporate, the most important to me is greeting tables.  You go from table to table, do a toast, and thank everyone who came.  Each time you get a gift, receive it with BOTH hands.  You could also wear an ao dai, I wore mine as we were greeting tables.

Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • cthuyncthuyn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I am also trying to figure out ways to including Vietnamese customs in my wedding. I probably won't have the tea ceremony separate from the 'western' wedding due to issues with timing and space. I'm thinking of incorporating a mini-tea ceremony into my wedding, basically serving tea to parents/grandparents to recognize them. It may be in lieu of the sand or candle ceremony - I haven't really worked out the details yet.
  • My wedding was in May. The things we ended up incorporating were the visiting the tables for dinner (make sure you have a big enough and secure card box). We also did the introducing family before dinner. However, we did have a happy hour and passed appetizers so our guests weren't starving while my 75 nearest and dearest family members were being introduced. You can cut down on time by just having people stand and wave instead of getting up on stage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards