Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Buffets?? Tacky???

Getting married in Vegas and am looking for a dinner location that is family friendly on the budget. Everywhere I have looked it is $50 or more per person which is expected but, 9 of my 30 guest are 7 and under in age who will not be interested in that much food. I've looked outside of the strip but prices are still the same. Someone mentioned a Buffett and I'm wondering if it is to tacky.....thoughts?

Re: Buffets?? Tacky???

• I don't think so - lots of people have buffets a their weddings... We're having a brunch buffet...

• As long as you pay for it, I think a buffet is fine, especially if the restaurant will give you a private or semi-private space for your group.
  • My future father in law is paying for it, so I want to be respectful of price, but he won't give us a set budget so I'm left just searching for a decent price. I was looking into the Buffett at Mandalay bay or MGM grand....
  • edited July 2013
    It's not tacky at all.  And buffets in Vegas are not like a run of the mill buffet.....they're usually pretty epic (lobster, filet, bottomless champagne, etc). 

ETA: obviously you'll pay for the guests, right?
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Not tacky at all. My FSIL had one at her $60,000 extravaganza of a wedding. I prefer buffets at weddings. Who knows what they want to eat three months from now? Buffets are also easier for everyone and give your guests more options.
  • If buffets are tacky then I guess my wedding was tacky as hell.

• Although we had a plated dinner, I love buffets. My favorite buffet in vegas is the newly opened Bacchanal buffet. A bit pricey but worth every penny!

Food is better than some of the nicer places I've been to. I highly suggest it  

• as long as the food is good there shouldn't be complaints :)
  • I dont think its tacky at all. We are having different food stations at ours. For example, we are having a carving station and grits bar then different finger foods like chicken bites, fried green tomatoes, fried dill pickles, etc. My family nor is my fiances to big on the whole sit down thing. Plus, people are there to celebrate your big day! They will not be paying too much attention to the food. 
  • mzbdamzbda member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I've never posted before but had to post on this. Sorry clharris but people WILL be paying attention to the food. Of course people come to celebrate the wedding but food is important.
    And I don't think buffets are tacky, esp in Vegas. There are really nice, top of the line buffets with fabulous food. Plus a great buffet will give people options that a plated dinner doesn't. I think providing guests with wonderful food (within your budget) is super important.
  • I dont think its tacky at all. We are having different food stations at ours. For example, we are having a carving station and grits bar then different finger foods like chicken bites, fried green tomatoes, fried dill pickles, etc. My family nor is my fiances to big on the whole sit down thing. Plus, people are there to celebrate your big day! They will not be paying too much attention to the food. 

I disagree with the bolded part. Trust me your guests will be paying attention to the food and whether or not it is tasty. I remember every wedding that I have been to where the food sucks and I also remember the weddings where the food is amazing. Food, music, and drinks are what your guests will remember the most from your wedding day.

• I had a tacky buffet wedding. Woe is me. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I think Vegas buffets are super fun (my favorite is at the Wynn). My only concern would be how you would coordinate your 30 guests to sit down and eat together, as the Vegas buffet environment can feel hectic and rushed depending on the day and time.
  • If the food is really good I don't think it's tacky at all!
  • No. A lot of high end wedding have sit down and buffet or food stations.

Aarmark. They have can help you with keeping your price low or a personal chef.

• Buffets are the best .. your guests can choose what they want instead of being held to certain foods on their plates  I prefer to pick and choose what I want to eat...go with the buffet choice!
  • Buffets aren't tacky.
  • As long as the food is good and there is enough (and you pay), buffets aren't tacky.  

Are you asking about kid pricing when you talk to vendors?  Many places--both buffets and plated meals--will have a lower price for children.  
  • Not tacky. Our guests loved our buffet. And this is a timely post - we literally just got back from Vegas today. Those buffets are incredible!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • GypsyWife_GypsyWife_ member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013

i wanted a vegas wedding like get married by elvis and have him so\ing then have a reception at an old vegas mob resturant. casa de amore its off the strip. they have open bar packages you can have a wedding cake brought in do a first dance . they have a live crooner. and they have a private room and meal packages . check out their website. i heard the food is major and prices are good.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards