Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

One big wedding cake or individual cakes per table?

Has anybody ever seen or had mini wedding cakes at each guest table?  The cake would be enough for how ever many is seated at the tables. My cake lady had suggested this.  I'm having more of an intimate wedding/reception.  We'll be going to Johnny's Steakhouse for a plated dinner after the ceremony. I have 3 flavors so each table would have a different flavor.

Re: One big wedding cake or individual cakes per table?

• Has anybody ever seen or had mini wedding cakes at each guest table?  The cake would be enough for how ever many is seated at the tables. My cake lady had suggested this.  I'm having more of an intimate wedding/reception.  We'll be going to Johnny's Steakhouse for a plated dinner after the ceremony. I have 3 flavors so each table would have a different flavor.

What if someone didn't like the flavor at their table?  This could result in lots of passed cake between tables.  Could you just have the cakes on a separate table and let people choose the flavor they want? 
  • Have you thought about cupcakes? We are doing a big cake to feed about 2/3 of the guest and a cupcake buffett - several differnt flavors with multi options on frosting and toppings- like a make your own kinda thing. The bridal party will be baking them so its fun bonding and brings cost down. Also kids love it , did it for a friends birthday .. Big hit!
  • Have you thought about cupcakes? We are doing a big cake to feed about 2/3 of the guest and a cupcake buffett - several differnt flavors with multi options on frosting and toppings- like a make your own kinda thing. The bridal party will be baking them so its fun bonding and brings cost down. Also kids love it , did it for a friends birthday .. Big hit!
    I would not want to be frosting my own cupcake at a wedding.  It's going to be messy, not to mention it will clog up the area around the cupcakes and slow down the line.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    JoanE2012 said:
    Have you thought about cupcakes? We are doing a big cake to feed about 2/3 of the guest and a cupcake buffett - several differnt flavors with multi options on frosting and toppings- like a make your own kinda thing. The bridal party will be baking them so its fun bonding and brings cost down. Also kids love it , did it for a friends birthday .. Big hit!
    I would not want to be frosting my own cupcake at a wedding.  It's going to be messy, not to mention it will clog up the area around the cupcakes and slow down the line.
    I agree. That's just a mess waiting to happen. Plus, I'm sort of grossed out by the thought of a bunch of people with their hands all over the knives and dipping into the frosting. I got roped into cutting the cake at a friend's wedding once, and every time I got frosting on my fingers, I had to remind myself I couldn't lick them, which tends to be human nature. I can just picture people (especially kids) licking their fingers and then touching the knives again. 

Just because something is a hit at a birthday party does not make it the best plan for a wedding.

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I never thought about the cost of decorating each cake but I'm only having 33 people attending not including me and my FI so we would only need 6 cakes, I think. I did send an email asking how much the cake would be.  If I put the cakes on a different table than using them as the centerpieces then I would have to get actual centerpieces and it wouldn't it make more sense to just make one cake?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Centerpieces aren't necessary.  I'd just get one cake and serve that or cupcakes.
  • If your cake is enough, I would not do the little cakes. If you the little cakes, give them spice or a acid base cake....like kwi, nutmeg and cinnamon......or something  more unique in flavor.
  • If your cake is enough, I would not do the little cakes. If you the little cakes, give them spice or a acid base cake....like kwi, nutmeg and cinnamon......or something  more unique in flavor.
    Come on....you gotta keep up and get with the program.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards