Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

How to inform relatives after a courthouse wedding?

My fiance and I have decided to get married next week just because. It sounds like a silly reason but we've been together for 15 years and have lived together for 12 of those. Neither one of us has ever wanted a "real" wedding as we're not big on being the center of attention. Therefore there are no pre-parties planned, no guests invited to the courthouse, and no reception planned afterward. Just something quiet with our parents and then back to work the next day.

My question is how to properly word the announcements of our new titles of Mr. and Mrs. Everyone has called us that for years anyway, but now that it will be official I would like to at least send out some sort of simple announcement. We do not want or expect gifts, so is this something that should be addressed up front or as we get asked?(because I know it will happen) Thank you for your advice!

Re: How to inform relatives after a courthouse wedding?

• My fiance and I have decided to get married next week just because. It sounds like a silly reason but we've been together for 15 years and have lived together for 12 of those. Neither one of us has ever wanted a "real" wedding as we're not big on being the center of attention. Therefore there are no pre-parties planned, no guests invited to the courthouse, and no reception planned afterward. Just something quiet with our parents and then back to work the next day.

My question is how to properly word the announcements of our new titles of Mr. and Mrs. Everyone has called us that for years anyway, but now that it will be official I would like to at least send out some sort of simple announcement. We do not want or expect gifts, so is this something that should be addressed up front or as we get asked?(because I know it will happen) Thank you for your advice!

You just send wedding announcements:
    Mr. and Mrs. Apple McDandy
    have the pleasure of announcing their marriage
    which took place at time on date at place.

You can adjust the wording to fit your circumstances, such as if you're keeping your last name or hyphenating or whatever. And you can just list the date for the wedding -- I.e., July 28, 2013 -- without the accompanying time and location.

Basically, wedding announcements serve two purposes: to announce a wedding that has taken place (obvs), and to inform people how the bride will be styling herself post-marriage.

Congratulations!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  •  Mr. and Mrs. Apple McDandy have the pleasure of announcing their marriage which took place at time on date at place. You can adjust the wording to fit your circumstances, such as if you're keeping your last name or hyphenating or whatever. And you can just list the date for the wedding -- I.e., July 28, 2013 -- without the accompanying time and location.
    This is perfect, thank you. I don't know why I was struggling with wording, it seems so silly now!

I was going to make my own announcements like I did when we moved, but I think I'll check out WPD and Google around to order something a little nicer since this is official business :)
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    In terms of "real" weddings, there's no distinction between a courthouse wedding and a marriage ceremony in a house of worship with all friends and family of the couple there with the bride in a big white dress and veil and several attendants and a reception afterwards. 

So announcements are worded the same way for both types of weddings and sent after the respective events.
  • Vistaprint also has good prices on announcements.   Congrats on your upcoming wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards