Chit Chat

Favors

My hubby and I decided to do a donation instead of a favor we couldn't decided on what favor so we came to the conclusion that a donation would be better. Somebody else needs that money more than a favor in my opinion.

So my question is how do I write we are doing a donation instead of a favor is it ok to write the thank you on the same card?

any suggestions?

Re: Favors

• My hubby and I decided to do a donation instead of a favor we couldn't decided on what favor so we came to the conclusion that a donation would be better. Somebody else needs that money more than a favor in my opinion.

So my question is how do I write we are doing a donation instead of a favor is it ok to write the thank you on the same card?

any suggestions?

If you go on the favors board, there is a host of reasons why this is a bad idea.    If you want to make the donation, please feel free to do that. but, don't make it "in lieu" of a favor.  Just make the donation and don't make an announcement about it.

It's like saying "hey, I was going to buy you a gift, but I gave it to someone else instead".  Also, a lot of people have issues with certain charities for religious, political or social justice reasons.  I know I wouldn't want a gift that was intended to go to me, given to an organization I didn't support.

• really? i know im sure they don't care or not whether they got a favor but I dont want them to think I was cheap and decided just to skip that when they are looking for something...

can i put we chose to donate a charity and not say what charity or just skip it all together
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013
    really? i know im sure they don't care or not whether they got a favor but I dont want them to think I was cheap and decided just to skip that when they are looking for something...

can i put we chose to donate a charity and not say what charity or just skip it all together

I mean, you "can", but I pesonally still think it's a bad idea.  If there are no favors there, people don't normally miss them.  They don't normally even notice that they didn't get one (as long as you feed them properly). 

And honestly, if you donated to a charity in your guests name/in lieu of a favor, and didn't tell me who, that would probably piss me off even more.   You are certainly entitled to make donations to your preferred charity any time of the year. But there is no reason to have it done in connection with your wedding, or make an annoucement or do a sign about it at your wedding. 

It just screams "look at how awesome we are, we donated to a charity!"  If you really want to impress me about how committed to charity you are, skip the dress, the flowers, wedding bands, etc.  Don't skip a gift that you were going to give to someone else.

• If you go on the favors board, there is a host of reasons why this is a bad idea.    If you want to make the donation, please feel free to do that. but, don't make it "in lieu" of a favor.  Just make the donation and don't make an announcement about it.

It's like saying "hey, I was going to buy you a gift, but I gave it to someone else instead".  Also, a lot of people have issues with certain charities for religious, political or social justice reasons.  I know I wouldn't want a gift that was intended to go to me, given to an organization I didn't support.

Exactly this.  I believe there's also a sticky on the topic. Read everything; it was enough to "set me straight" a while back. You are not obligated to give favors.  Your reception is your way of saying thank you to your guests; why should you need to give a favor on top of that?
  • where the heck are these sticky note things?!
  • where the heck are these sticky note things?!

At the top of each board, there are posts that are "stickied" or "locked" that discuss topics that come up very frequently.  For example, at the top of the Attire and Accessories page, there is a sticky that discusses knockoff dresses. on the favors board, there is a sticky about donations in lieu of favors.
  • Not having favors doesn't make you look cheap. Telling all your guests that you donated their favors to a charity screams AW.

I'm not having a single flower or favor at my wedding. But the food will be awesome as well as the top shelf hosted bar.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards