Attire & Accessories Forum

Hair Trial

About when should I schedule my hair and makeup trial? According to some of my checklists I've found it says about 3 months before the wedding. That seems too far out to me. What do you think?

Re: Hair Trial

• I have mine this weekend, which is about two months out. I don't think it really matters.
  • bakerie said:
    I have mine this weekend, which is about two months out. I don't think it really matters.
    Unless you are familiar with the stylist, it should matter.  Good makeup artists and hair stylists around here book up quickly, often a year or more in advance.  And in order to book, you often need to leave a deposit.  I'm not leaving a deposit unless I've had my trials and know for sure I like the makeup artist and hair stylist.  

OP - I had my trials 6 months ahead of time.  I hated the first MUA.  I'm glad I didn't leave a deposit with them.  I also had plenty of time to find another MUA and didn't have to stress.  Don't put it off.
  • Hmm. Ive never heard of needed a deposit for them. Maybe i should start calling some places. I was just planning on using my usual hairdresser at the local salon here. I will have to give her a call!
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I was supposed to have mine this morning (55 days before the wedding) but she cancelled. Today was my shower so it would have been nice to go all dolled up. I'll shoot for my bachelorette party now when I find a new stylist.  Why have a trial on a day when you're just going home? That's silly.
  • If it's not your normal stylist, I would go 3-4 months in advance, so if you hate it, you have a chance to find someone else.
  • I'm doing my hair trial next month and my makeup trial in two weeks. I would just research and have someone in mind if you need to find someone new. 
  • I had mine about 2 months out.  I also did not need to put down a deposit to book my stylist (never heard of having to do that before).  I did, however, book my hair and MUA about 6 months in advance.

I would say as long as you have a hair and MUA picked out and booked you can get your trial done at any point, but like PP said having a trial around the 3 month mark will allow you time to change things around if you absolutely hate what you had done.

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013

I had mine about 2 months out.  I also did not need to put down a deposit to book my stylist (never heard of having to do that before).  I did, however, book my hair and MUA about 6 months in advance.

I would say as long as you have a hair and MUA picked out and booked you can get your trial done at any point, but like PP said having a trial around the 3 month mark will allow you time to change things around if you absolutely hate what you had done.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but the 3 or 4 MUAs I looked into all required deposits to book.  I don't blame them.....what if I booked them, then found someone else and told them shortly before the wedding.....they'd lose that money and if it was too short notice they probably wouldn't be able to book anyone else. 

My hair stylist was my usual stylist though who I am familiar with and see often, so she didn't require any deposit. 

• mlg78 said:
    I was supposed to have mine this morning (55 days before the wedding) but she cancelled. Today was my shower so it would have been nice to go all dolled up. I'll shoot for my bachelorette party now when I find a new stylist.  Why have a trial on a day when you're just going home? That's silly.

Agree.  But how far in advance is your bachelorette party?  What if you hate it?  Will you have enough time to find someone else (that isn't already booked)? 

I did not like my first makeup trial and ended up looking for someone else.    I wouldn't want to add unnecessary stress of finding someone else and doing another trial just weeks before my wedding. 

• I'm doing my makeup trial in 2 weeks, so it'll be just under 3 months out. My hair stylist has done my hair for the past 10 years, so we are going to do the hair trial closer to the wedding since I know his work.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I did mine about a month before our wedding. Maybe 2, it was hard because I wanted to get a hair cut but then wanted to keep my hair the closest to what it was at the trail.
  • I just asked at my salon the other day and she said about 6 weeks ahead of time, but I'm using my normal stylist. I did have to book my appointment for the wedding already though because she said they fill up fast on Saturdays during wedding season. If you don't know who you want to use I would go sooner so you can make sure they will be available on your wedding day.
  • I say it's never too early to start doing research. I'm getting married in March and just scheduled both hair and makeup trials for September and October. I'm going to 2 weddings during those times and wanted a trial on each of the wedding days so I can see how hair and makeup will hold up through the entire day, the sweat, the dancing, etc. I went with these 2 hair and makeup people based on the numerous rave reviews and the work that I've seen them do so I'm pretty sure I will pick 1 of them and plan on booking right away. They both get booked quickly so I don't want to miss out. It will be 5 months until my wedding when I have my second trial. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards