Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

If Only...

(First post! If I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know!)

There's this song that I would LOVE to have for our first dance. It's by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, and it's called "Minnesota Girl." He wrote it for his wife who is from Minnesota, and the only recording that exists of it (besides fan recordings at concerts when he plays it) is on his wife's answering machine, apparently.

My fiance is from Ohio, and he moved in with me here in Minnesota after...well, it's a long story. But after weeks of teasing me with a surprise he was preparing, he finally gets up here, the first time I'd seen him in seven months, and we lay on the couch and he says, "I almost forgot your surprise!" He gets up and puts a CD in my stereo...lo and behold, he had recorded himself singing and playing "Minnesota Girl" for me.

I would kill to use that for our first dance, but we would both feel kind of weird dancing to his singing (he would feel weird, especially, and I think I would just because I would know that he felt uncomfortable). I can't find another song that's that perfect for us, and I don't want to go with a song just because it's slow and romantic--I want to pick a song that suits us perfectly.

I kind of want to have a friend of ours sing it or something, but he says he would feel weird with that too. Maybe I'm weird for being so fixated on a song I know won't be possible...

Re: If Only...

• (First post! If I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know!)

There's this song that I would LOVE to have for our first dance. It's by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, and it's called "Minnesota Girl." He wrote it for his wife who is from Minnesota, and the only recording that exists of it (besides fan recordings at concerts when he plays it) is on his wife's answering machine, apparently.

My fiance is from Ohio, and he moved in with me here in Minnesota after...well, it's a long story. But after weeks of teasing me with a surprise he was preparing, he finally gets up here, the first time I'd seen him in seven months, and we lay on the couch and he says, "I almost forgot your surprise!" He gets up and puts a CD in my stereo...lo and behold, he had recorded himself singing and playing "Minnesota Girl" for me.

I would kill to use that for our first dance, but we would both feel kind of weird dancing to his singing (he would feel weird, especially, and I think I would just because I would know that he felt uncomfortable). I can't find another song that's that perfect for us, and I don't want to go with a song just because it's slow and romantic--I want to pick a song that suits us perfectly.

I kind of want to have a friend of ours sing it or something, but he says he would feel weird with that too. Maybe I'm weird for being so fixated on a song I know won't be possible...
    I think if you love the song then great. I think it's a cute special touch if you guys want to go that way. Having someone else sing it is fine too.

I think if you guys feel weird then it probably won't work. Find something you are comfortable with. I personally would think it was fantastic if I went to a wedding where the groom sang the song.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards