Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

DJ wants to sue me!

I had spoken to a DJ about providing his services for my wedding. About 2 weeks ago, I was told by a reputable source that he may not be what I am looking for, and that he didn't do a really great job at one of the places he DJ'ed at. I called him to cancel, because I am wanting someone that will actually provide me a good service (thank goodness I ended up getting someone 3 weeks before my wedding) Anyway, the former DJ called me tonight saying I owe him at least half of what the cost was. I never signed a written contract, never was asked for a deposit. He said he will be taking me to small claims court. Should I just let him go ahead and do that? Or pay the $200 he says I owe?

Re: DJ wants to sue me!

• tlynn0804 said:

I had spoken to a DJ about providing his services for my wedding. About 2 weeks ago, I was told by a reputable source that he may not be what I am looking for, and that he didn't do a really great job at one of the places he DJ'ed at. I called him to cancel, because I am wanting someone that will actually provide me a good service (thank goodness I ended up getting someone 3 weeks before my wedding) Anyway, the former DJ called me tonight saying I owe him at least half of what the cost was. I never signed a written contract, never was asked for a deposit. He said he will be taking me to small claims court. Should I just let him go ahead and do that? Or pay the $200 he says I owe?

Sounds like a shakedown to me. No written contract means I would just apologize and say goodbye.
  • Without a written contract or proof that you had intended to use him by paying a deposit, what can he prove? My DJ had me sign a contract as soon as I decided I wanted to use him.
  • I think he's just trying to scam you, which makes sense that he'd try if he's doing such a poor job DJing.  I'd tell him that there was no contract, and he has no legal ground to stand on.  It'll probably shut him up quick!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds like he's just threatening you. I'd let it go, don't even contact him. He has no ground to stand on, so it's extremely likely he's not going to follow through.
  • Did you have any type of arrangement for what might happen in a cancellation?  I would say you are off the hook if you didn't sign a contract----unless he has any email from you confirming that you would pay a cancellation fee. If he does have anything at all in writing that he may be able to produce in small claims court, then it may be a problem for you.

If there was no documented communication regarding how soon before the event you would need to cancel, then he can't just come up with any figure he wants!! No judge would buy that! 

I suspect your DJ is (as you expected) not really a professional, or he would have already protected himself for situations like these. Hopefully he has learned something out of this situation! ;)
  • no contract - no case.  plain and simple. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards