Outdoor Weddings

Public park reception

We have a beautiful park near us and can get permits and reserve 2 spots (1 covered area, 16 picinic tables +1 uncovered  area 26 picinc tables) for about $300. There is no stage or gazebo. We are expecting about 150 people and will enough room for 2 buffet lines. The weather at that time of day and year is usually pleasant. We obviously aren't looking to be too formal but I don't want it to look like a company picinic or bday party either.  Am I trying to be too cheap? Is my cost cutting on the venue going to cost me more $ in the long run? The marriage will be ours but I'd like the wedding to be enjoyable for everyone. Should we suck it up and get an indoor venue with real tables? I know someone out there has done this, any ideas would be great!

Re: Public park reception

• Im doing this also, but with 30 guests, 1 covered pavilion. 3 long tables to seat everyone and 2 for the buffet. 

Are you saying that some guest will be in one pavilion and some in another? or theres two pavilions that could fit all your guests. 
    if the first, how close are they? it could be kind of awkward if theyre far. 

Just try to make is as un-pavilion like as possible, with lots of decor. if you can drape fabric along the ceiling.  

Maybe try to have the theme fit the surroundings. My theme is "english garden tea party" im trying to make elegance out of something that isnt usually considered to be that, hopefully it turns out!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    The 2 areas are right next to each other, I was thinking of having all of the event stuff like food, drinks, card/gift, cake and maybe "photo booth" under the covered area and the guests in the larger uncovered area. English garden sounds beautiful, fabric draping is a great idea. Maybe linen tablecloths instead of plastic would help me feel more weddingy? Am I going to spend a lot more money trying to do this? I have this way of cutting corners and then freaking out and overspending.
  • Yes we are going to have linen cloth. 

Youll spend money having to buy or rent linens, whereas an indoor venue might provide them, but paying 300 for an indoor venue seems unrealistic! So it all weighs out, but i still think after having to pay for linens etc, itll still end up being cheaper than an indoor venue. 

does the uncovered area still have picnic tables?  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Search Pinterest for "picnic table wedding".  Lots of good ideas there.  It can be nice.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_public-park-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:4faab41d-b801-41b0-a776-60ae39122a93Post:0bed1e41-c43f-43db-9ae8-43e53e5a6c82">Re: Public park reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]The 2 areas are right next to each other, I was thinking of having all of the event stuff like food, drinks, card/gift, cake and maybe "photo booth" under the covered area and the guests in the larger uncovered area. English garden sounds beautiful, fabric draping is a great idea. Maybe linen tablecloths instead of plastic would help me feel more weddingy? Am I going to spend a lot more money trying to do this? I have this way of cutting corners and then freaking out and overspending.
    Posted by mauraacro[/QUOTE]

I like your thoughts, but I have to ask - do you have a rain plan?
  • Check your local fairgrounds.  See what they have to offer as well.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_public-park-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:4faab41d-b801-41b0-a776-60ae39122a93Post:42fbcb5c-9afc-4437-ae40-2e325dc8469d">Re: Public park reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Search Pinterest for "picnic table wedding".  Lots of good ideas there.  It can be nice.
    Posted by weddingmuse[/QUOTE]

You rock!
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • The uncovered area has 16-28 picinic tables, enough to seat everyone. It is surrounded by trees so if it rains a little we won't get wet but between that and checking the almanac for rain for the past 15 years, we have no rain plan. Too risky?
    I have been avoiding pininterest because I get sucked in for hours at a time! I just peeked at it and love about 100 of the ideas! Now I'm thinking white linens and decorations with colors coming from the park setting and fresh flowers. You guys are so helpful, thanks!
  • You really need a plan B, even if its just putting a deposit down on a community center or a gymnasium "just in case".  You don't want 150 guests and no place for them to be dry in case of rain.  Where are you getting married?  If it's a church they probably have a hall you could use just-in-case.

There's a lot of ways you can dress up a picnic table reception.  Just don't try to hide the fact that they're picnic tables.  I like the PP's garden party idea.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_public-park-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:4faab41d-b801-41b0-a776-60ae39122a93Post:4c8c68b4-3432-4234-affc-b73226a52802">Re: Public park reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]The uncovered area has 16-28 picinic tables, enough to seat everyone. It is surrounded by trees so if it rains a little we won't get wet but between that and checking the almanac for rain for the past 15 years, we have no rain plan. Too risky? I have been avoiding pininterest because I get sucked in for hours at a time! I just peeked at it and love about 100 of the ideas! Now I'm thinking white linens and decorations with colors coming from the park setting and fresh flowers. You guys are so helpful, thanks!
    Posted by mauraacro[/QUOTE]

Get a list of rental places on hand just in case you need to get a few tents. They are not cheap, but you should at least do a little pre-planning for the worst case scenario.
  • All your ideas sound really pretty.

As far as the rain plan goes: I'd rent a small tent to put the gift/card table and photobooth under and just have the buffett lines, cake, and dinner tables under the shelter. Then you could have all of your guests comfortably seated under the shelter and walking on firm ground, while the more transient features are under protected under the tent. This plan does assume you can move the tables--ours were bolted down.

By doing it this way, you are renting a tent big enough for the gifts and photobooth, instead of big enough for the entire 150 person reception. Even if you end up having beautiful weather and not using the tent, you haven't lost as much money as you would with a full tent or deposit on a seperate venue.

Also, are the tables wood? The ones in our site were, and we contacted the management to make sure they were freshly painted before the wedding, so we wouldn't have to worry about splinters.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh, and if you are looking to save on linens but still feel more wedding and less Happy 3rd Birthday, have you considered runners?

I bought 10 yards of fabric at Walmart for $15 and made 16 runners. I didn't hem the edges, but if you wanted a more finished look you could with minimal effort. The best pic I have on my work computer:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_public-park-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:4faab41d-b801-41b0-a776-60ae39122a93Post:b0e96481-e43d-4f53-8b75-1f42f775ce3c">Re: Public park reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and if you are looking to save on linens but still feel more wedding and less Happy 3rd Birthday, have you considered runners? I bought 10 yards of fabric at Walmart for $15 and made 16 runners. I didn't hem the edges, but if you wanted a more finished look you could with minimal effort. The best pic I have on my work computer:
    Posted by bunni727[/QUOTE]
    That looks great! I was wondering with full cloths if it would look like I was trying to hide the tables, this is perfect
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards