Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Etiquette on cashing check before wedding

We have received two large checks back with RSVPs. They were both addressed to "Mr. And Mrs.". Our wedding is still over a month away. Since they addressed the checks in this way, does this mean that they expect us to wait and cash the check after the wedding? My mom says that's the case. We could definitely use the money now, but I want to do it the proper way. They did not post-date the checks, and both of the check-senders are rather wealthy, so I don't think they are watching their accounts closely for the money to clear....like I would be doing :) Please note: I'm not asking a question about what the BANK will allow me to do. I'm asking, from an etiquette standpoint, what is he right thing to do? Cash now or after the wedding? Thanks!!

Re: Etiquette on cashing check before wedding

• Options
    I have cashed checks received now but we will certainly not be using them until after the wedding.  If I were the gift-giver I wouldn't want an outstanding check waiting to be cashed just lingering out there.  If you decide to cash it, do NOT use it until after the wedding.
  • Options
    Cash the check, but don't spend the money until after the wedding.
  • Options
    Yup. Cash, but don't spend yet.

Not cashing also screws up people when they try to balance their checkbook
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    Cash/deposit and send a thank-you note. Do not spend one cent until after the wedding.
  • Options
    Cash it and send a thank you note now.  Use the money after the wedding.
  • Options
    Cash the checks, but don't use the money until after the wedding. 
  • Options
    Ditto to PPs - cash, thank, spend after you're wed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Cash the checks and send a thank-you note ASAP, but don't spend the money until after the wedding.
  • Options

I agree with everyone; but, just to play devil's advocate, how is anyone going to know you spent that money?  Just sayin'.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    kss20 said:

I agree with everyone; but, just to play devil's advocate, how is anyone going to know you spent that money?  Just sayin'.

No one may know, but it's easier to return the money unspent if the wedding doesn't take place, just as noncash gifts are not supposed to be used until after the wedding.
  • Options
    kss20 said:

It's not about not knowing you spent the money but returning the money if the wedding doesn't take place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards