Massachusetts-Boston

Food-Budget-Plated-Buffet-HELP!

I am all over the place right now! HELP! I am on a budget as are many brides (thank goodness) and I am not sure how much to spend on the "food". I am back and forth between buffet style and plated. With the plated, I am unsure how much a head I should spend per person. OMG< someone please help me!

I want to keep my guest list 200 and under...for some reason people keep popping up...they will be sad when they don't get an invite. My goal is is to cut down from the 200...sorry...no replacements.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Food-Budget-Plated-Buffet-HELP!

• edited December 2011
    Cut the list- so what if people are sad, they'll deal with it. Do the plated. Buffet is like a cattle-call with that many people!

Not only will you find that that large of a guest list is expensive with the food- it's going to drive up your costs in a lot of other areas. Drinks, florals, linens, chairs...endless pp costs.

• edited December 2011
    Depending on the venue, buffet vs. stations vs. plated meal might not be that big of a price difference. I know where I was looking stations were normally higher because of the cost of chefs and attendants.

Our cost for food also included open bar, cocktail hour apps, linens, basic floral arrangements and desert. We were happy with what we paid person because we thought we got a lot for our money. We figured out our total budget and then found a venue that would fit in to our budget per person.

Before you start cutting your guest list figure out a general budget. Once you have a number in mind, what your comfortable spending per person will make more sense.
  • edited December 2011
    We did a buffet for about 120 and had no problem, it wasn't a cattle call at all! They actually called up each table one  at a time and people liked to have all the choices (we had carving stations of sirloin and ham, then had chicken, pasta, stuffed portabella, veggies, red potatoes, salads, 6 apps, and a full dessert bar plus the cake, it was a feast <: )You have at least 80 more than me so plated may be a better choice. Our venue was about the same price for plated and buffet.
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely do plated, I think buffets are tacky.  Figure out your budget first and then figure out what it's going to cost per person.  
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_food-budget-plated-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:029127c3-1b24-4843-958f-f908276a6a18Post:f3a9e84e-ddb2-45e0-a2c8-8b99b399e2c2">Re: Food-Budget-Plated-Buffet-HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would definitely do plated, I think buffets are tacky.  Figure out your budget first and then figure out what it's going to cost per person.  
    Posted by bmoruzzi@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]
     Wow that's nice! We had a buffet with servers and it was not tacky at all.
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First plan your overall budget- then figure less than half on food/drink at the venue. Then find a place that fits your budget!

Both buffet and plated can be good for different reasons, and both can be bad, Just depends on the place!
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buffets are only cattle calls if done the wrong way.  Most places do buffets the right way.  If you are having 200 people, ask your venue if they can set up 2 buffets so it spreads out.  I have been to weddings where buffets were done beautifully.

No-one can tell you how much to spend per head.  It all depends on your budget.

We did a plated meal.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • ChanteldreamsChanteldreams member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone. We finally did figure out our budget over the weekend.

We also decided to cut the guest list down.

Now to determine how much of that will be for the food...

Food, and drinks are most important to us so I know the majority of our budget will go towards it.

Thanks again!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_food-budget-plated-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:029127c3-1b24-4843-958f-f908276a6a18Post:7b99e9ea-9327-4e64-b7eb-6697e00a0bfb">Re: Food-Budget-Plated-Buffet-HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone. We finally did figure out our budget over the weekend. We also decided to cut the guest list down. Now to determine how much of that will be for the food... <strong>Food, and drinks are most important to us so I know the majority of our budget will go towards it.</strong> Thanks again!
    Posted by Chanteldreams[/QUOTE]

This is a mistake to plan to spend most of your budget on food/drinks, you will probably be going over budget. Price other things out like:

Flowers/decor
    DJ/band
    ceremony (church? officiant? music? license)
    Photographer
    Attire (dress, tux, shoes, jewerly)
    Invitations, and other paper (programs, response cards, table numbers, stamps...)
    Transportation (limo? transport for guests?)
    Hotel (if you are staying overnight after the wedding)
    Favors (if you are doing this we didn't), or welcome bags for the hotels?
    Hair/make-up
    Gifts for your bridal party and parents thank yous
    Honeymoon (if you are doing one right after)

That is just what I come up with off the top of my head- you should get a checklist and budget everything out (at least a guess).

Don't forget taxes/fees on the food/drinks as well.
  • ChanteldreamsChanteldreams member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    megandjay,

Thanks. I have sorted out everything else. There are a lot of things that are now gone such as limo, welcome bags, hotelling...

The ceremony will be cut the most as we have family that will do that. Also,it will be done on site of the reception.

I see what you are saying though...My plan is not to go over budget, so I will be very careful.

And the taxes...WHEW! yeah...this is just a headache in itself.

Thanks again!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards