Pre-wedding Parties

No games at the shower. Alternative Activities?

I can't stand playing games at showers and I always vowed to never make my guests play awkward participation games at mine. I have a very large family and at other showers they always groan about the games. I'd like them to relax and just enjoy the afternoon. Does anyone know of any good alternative activities that guests can do (while the shower is happen and gifts are being opened etc)? Like cute "advice to the couple" cards or anything like that? Things that are meaningful and optional and can even be used as decor?

Re: No games at the shower. Alternative Activities?

• This is a decision that should be up to your hosts.  You shouldn't be planning your own shower.
  • In theory, you invite close friends and family to showers.  If you prefer the hostess not incorporate games into the shower, I'm sure your guests will be able to entertain themselves with conversation.  
  • scribe95 said:
    I have never been to a shower without at least one game. Not sure what else you can do except encourage mingling and chatting.
    I hate shower games and don't see why anything for entertainment besides mingling and chatting is necessary.
  • I can't stand playing games at showers and I always vowed to never make my guests play awkward participation games at mine. I have a very large family and at other showers they always groan about the games. I'd like them to relax and just enjoy the afternoon. Does anyone know of any good alternative activities that guests can do (while the shower is happen and gifts are being opened etc)? Like cute "advice to the couple" cards or anything like that? Things that are meaningful and optional and can even be used as decor?
    Honestly, I feel like some games are cheesy and annoying, but others give quiet/shy people something to do, and it creates an opportunity to talk to someone you wouldn't otherwise talk to.

I like filling out advice cards. Food is always good. An opportunity to talk to everyone is nice.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone!

My sister in law/maid of honor is planning it but I will help her with the labor of some of the details (whatever she picks) because we enjoy spending time together doing crafts etc. When I planned her's a few years ago we didn't play any games (at her request) and we had guests come up to us after actually thanking us for not making them do games. The only one she is going to do is the one where you ask the groom questions ahead of time and make the bride answer and for each wrong one you have to chew another piece of gum which is fine because people usually get a good laugh and they don't have to "do" anything.

There will be food. The problem is that my family is very large and we are likely to have about 80 people. So eating and unwrapping alone will take a LONG time. They are going to do the egg timer thing to give out prizes.

I was just hoping to find an optional activity for those who wanted to fill something out while at the table vs making people get up and wrap each other in toilet paper...
  • @Samanthaveltri said, "I was just hoping to find an optional activity for those who wanted to fill something out while at the table vs making people get up and wrap each other in toilet paper..."

In that case, there are several "quiet" activities your guests could do.  Bridal Bingo is probably the most popular.  I have done Bridal Word Searches, Complete the Famous Wedding Couple, Bridal Word Scramble......many websites have templates you can print for free.  They are also pretty easy to create on your own.

Here is the first website that popped up for me on a google search...
  • Thanks for the advice everyone!

My sister in law/maid of honor is planning it but I will help her with the labor of some of the details (whatever she picks) because we enjoy spending time together doing crafts etc. When I planned her's a few years ago we didn't play any games (at her request) and we had guests come up to us after actually thanking us for not making them do games. The only one she is going to do is the one where you ask the groom questions ahead of time and make the bride answer and for each wrong one you have to chew another piece of gum which is fine because people usually get a good laugh and they don't have to "do" anything.

There will be food. The problem is that my family is very large and we are likely to have about 80 people. So eating and unwrapping alone will take a LONG time. They are going to do the egg timer thing to give out prizes.

I was just hoping to find an optional activity for those who wanted to fill something out while at the table vs making people get up and wrap each other in toilet paper...
    The only feedback I have about that game is to keep it at our about 20 questions. One of my bridesmaids thought it would be good to have our guests sit through 50 questions. After question 25 everyone got really bored. So I flagged down a bridesmaid and told her maybe it would be a good idea to stop sooner rather than later.
  • We never have games. We have prizes tho - everyone loves prizes! Timer goes off when your gift is being opened - win a prize. Sticker on your napkin - win a prize. Sticker under your coffee cup - prize! Wedding anniversary closest to bride's wedding date - PRIZE! Everyone loves that we don't pull out bingo cards, word searches or toilet paper.
    Prizes vary - usually whatever we can find on sale at Target. Umbrellas, serving ware, fun kitchen gadgets, etc.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• For bridal showers I've hosted, we did the "advice cards". For one shower, we asked everyone to drop them in a monogrammed pitcher and for another we asked people to pin it onto a monogrammed apron - both of which we gave to her as a gift.
  • huynhette said:
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

The only feedback I have about that game is to keep it at our about 20 questions. One of my bridesmaids thought it would be good to have our guests sit through 50 questions. After question 25 everyone got really bored. So I flagged down a bridesmaid and told her maybe it would be a good idea to stop sooner rather than later.
    Good point!!
  • You mentioned that you and your maid of honor are crafty. Many people in todays world love to do crafts as social activities. I would try incorporating an easy group craft such as making organic sugar scrubs, bath salts or jewelry. Supplies are easy to come by and can be relatively inexpensive if you buy online in bulk.  
  • You don;t have to have games.  You can just talk and mingle with everyone, eat some good food, open gifts and call it a day.
  • When I was a BM for a friend, the shower was bird themed, and we even had a "make a bird pin" craft. Everyone made one and loved it!

I am not a fan of shower games, but I have reason to believe that at my shower (in about a week and a half), there will be a "pin the mustache on the groom" game (like pin the tail on the donkey). Surprisingly enough, I think this is awesome/hilarious. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards