Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal shower registry

Hello! I am a bridesmaid and am in charge of planning the bridal shower (which I am loving!). 

I just want to be clear on something: Does the bride register for her shower AND her wedding? Where and what type of things would she register for a bridal shower? 

I think we're going to have it at the Melting Pot restaurant in a private room. So, not sure how music will work - and probably not a good place to have games which might be ok. However, there will be good food and alcohol!

Is there a bridal shower planning book that's good? 

Thanks so much!
Melissa

Re: Bridal shower registry

• There isn't a separate bridal shower registry. It is understood that her wedding registry is the complete list of items she and her fiance need for their new home and guests buy bridal shower gifts from it. You don't need music for a bridal shower, so you're ok on that front. There isn't a bridal shower planning book that I've ever seen, but there are decor ideas all over Pinterest. I assume that the hosts of the shower are paying for the food and alcohol - the guests should not have to "split the check". I say this because you plan on having it at a restaurant.
  • Hello! I am a bridesmaid and am in charge of planning the bridal shower (which I am loving!). 

I just want to be clear on something: Does the bride register for her shower AND her wedding? Where and what type of things would she register for a bridal shower? 

I think we're going to have it at the Melting Pot restaurant in a private room. So, not sure how music will work - and probably not a good place to have games which might be ok. However, there will be good food and alcohol!

Is there a bridal shower planning book that's good? 

Thanks so much!
    Melissa

I've never been to a bridal shower with music, and very few with games. So you can skip both of those. The food and drink sound great, so long as the guests aren't expected to pay like pp said.

The bride and her fiancee create a wedding registry (usually 2-3 stores) of items they will need. They should create a registry with items in many items in various price ranges ($10, $20, $40, $50+)

Only guests invited to the bride and groom's wedding should be invited to the shower.

• Thank you so much! 

I will be paying for 100% of the shower including all meals, alcohol, gifts for the guests, etc.

I love this board. Thanks again :)

Melissa
  • Music and games aren't necessary, and many people aren't fans of games at showers.

The rules of thumb for any shower:

1) Except for work and group showers, where the bride works with or is a co-member with the other guests, all invited guests must be invited to the wedding.

2) Don't expect guests to address their own thank-you envelopes.  This really isn't okay.  It's something the bride needs to do for herself by way of thanking the guests for their gifts.

3) Per etiquette, neither the bride nor any close relative on either her or the groom's side can host the shower.  A lot of times the rule gets bent for mothers and sisters, but the bride herself needs not to be the hostess.

4) Don't plan the shower or any get-together for the bride without getting the budget for money and time for everyone being expected to contribute, and don't expect them to contribute more than their budget to the costs and time of the shower.

5) Make sure the bride herself is on board with your plans.  For this reason, I don't recommend "surprise" showers.

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Thank you so much! 

I will be paying for 100% of the shower including all meals, alcohol, gifts for the guests, etc.

I love this board. Thanks again :)

Melissa
    I hope by "gifts for the guests" you actually mean favors?  I have attended many showers and cannot recall ever receiving a "gift".  

Your shower sounds lovely and generous.  Just to be clear, however, you do understand that a shower does not have to be an expensive monster blow out.  Even held in a restaurant, you can work from a limited or "per person" menu so you can better predict your expenses.  If you choose to include alcohol, you could limit it to wine, or even one champagne toast.  

Not that games are necessary, but I did host a shower in a restaurant for my niece. We did bring some "just in case" paper and pencil games that actually worked out quite well.

Some restaurants will let you bring in your own shower cake.  Check with the management of the Melting Pot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards