Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Walking Down the Aisle with 2 Parents?

So, I have kind of an odd situation. My dad has been my dad since I was born and he and my mom were married up until six months ago. The reason they divorced is because my dad is transgender and halfway through her transition to a woman. I'm thinking about having both of them walk me down the aisle, since I'm equally close to both. Am I missing any potential problems with this?

Re: Walking Down the Aisle with 2 Parents?

• Actually, the former/current genders of your parents are irrelevant. :) If you want to have both parents walk you down the aisle, that's fine. It's common in Jewish weddings anyway.

If your father is transitioning, ask him/her how he/she wants to be identified in the programmes; female name and pronouns, etc.

Congrats to you for being so understanding of your father's new identity!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Thanks. She's actually had all her legal documents changed to her correct name and gender. And my fiance is actually half Jewish (in heritage) so that part is actually kind of cool.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Nope.

You can have anyone you want walk you down the aisle. 

Your family sounds very loving and supportive, it would be lovely to have both walk you down. 
  • You can definitely have both parents walk you down the aisle. Honestly, I feel like the only limitation in terms of who walks you down the aisle ... is that you only have two arms!

I also wanted to say that I hope that your dad's transition is going well (I don't know if you still refer to her as your dad or not--I'm sorry if that's not correct).
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • No problems at all. Enjoy having both your parents walk you down :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards