Florida-North Florida

NF brides on a budget.... got a question for you

What is your photography budget???  I didn't want to spend more than $1000 on my photography package.  Is that even possible???

I contacted 2 friends who got married a few yrs ago in NJ and they both paid approx $6000 for their photos!!  I canNOT afford that!

Ugh.
~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~

Re: NF brides on a budget.... got a question for you

• edited December 2011
    I paid $2000, not what I was hoping to pay but worth EVERY SINGLE penny! I had 10 hours of coverage though so i'm sure you may be able to swing cheaper. I used Kris Graham photography http://krisgrahamphotography.com/

Actually I just checked and they have a $1700 package...

I would skimp with photography it's really the only thing you have left (other than a husband) after the wedding!
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We paid $700. 

Where are you getting married?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know where in North Florida you are getting married, but we are using Kate Gardiner (kategardinerphoto.com) in the St. Augustine area.  Her packages start at $1450, but include A LOT of stuff.  Just thought I'd pass it on!
  • prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm feeling the same way every place I'm looking it's around 2k and up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    we are getting married at the Mayport Naval Base (Ocean Breeze). 
    NAVY.. $700??!!  Really??  please... share your secret! :)
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • duncanpowersduncanpowers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

There's no need to spend 6k on photography (although I know some girls who did and their shots were certainly lovely), but unless you know someone personally or get a reference for a photog that will do it for less than 1k (and you see their pics AND you like them), it's really worth the extra money if you can free it up. Honestly, I spent 1500 with Wilson Photography and I wish I'd splurged for a longer package with the album. I thought I was being efficient and saving money, but then I was just sorry that they couldn't stay the whole time and drove myself INSANE doing my album. I mean, it turned out great, but it probably would have been worth that extra 300, you know?

So anyway, I know that photography is one of those things that the prices blow your mind at first, but in the end, it is one of the few wedding expenses that I say, go for it. If you can, and cut elsewhere.

• edited December 2011
    Yes, it is so hard to wrap my head around that kind of price.  I mean, it's going to ending up costing as much as my reception. (got a great deal on the reception).

Did you like the end result with your photos from Wilson? 

I'm setting up a meeting with Ginger Dupre.  She quoted me just under $1000 which includes 8 hours of coverage, DVD of images with rights to print, and $75 towards print or an album.  But I'm certainly not ready to make a decision with a photographer without meeting a few.
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks again for the input... I've emailed all 3 that were named in this thread.
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer was pretty cheap to begin with and I ended up gettng a military discount from her.  She's raised her prices now, but she's still not badly priced.
  • jennsperjennsper member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didnt want to pay more than $2000. and thats what were paying
    Jennifer & David 10/15/10
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a local photog here in Jax.  I def agree with the girls that photography is obviously something you don't want to go cheap on and then end up with crud in the end.  AS far as feedback on the photogs listed, the only one I've personally worked with is Ginger.  She's been a second shooter for me on many occassions and now out on her own.  She has a great eye, and great equipment.  (If you are meeting photographers ASK WHAT THEY USE and research it!  There are a lot of 'photographers' in the industry right now with consumer end equip which is going to give you crappy pics if you want anything printed larger than an 8x10)

I've always heard great things about kris graham so you should be good there too.

Another suggestion is Meghan Stewart.  She was a second shooter for Naomi Williams (was a major photographer here) for many years.  She's now out on her own, and her packages are really reasonable, and she'll work with your budget as much as possible.  She's going to be one of the photographers for my wedding (and I'm crazy picky!!!!!). 

Hope this helps. =)
  • christinalauchristinalau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine through Fox Photography. Their packages start at $500. We have our engagement pictures taken already - The pics look great and they are absolutely fun to work with!
  • edited December 2011

I think Ken Godwin is around your price.  My coworker works as his assistant from time to time and they do some good work. 

I'm using Eye Kandy Photography.  They are over 2k but the photographers I was first looking at were 4k-6k and I couldn't spend that much.  It was important for me to have a photographer that take the journalistic/artistic approach.  I was finding that the less expensive ones didn't really go that route. 

Just make sure you take a look at a variety of their work and its what you want.  As others say its the only tangable memories you have left of the day. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Photobucket
    My Start to a Planning Bio
    213 Invited 145 yes and 68 no RSVP Date April 15
  • edited December 2011
    I really appreciate the feedback.  I think FI almost drove off the road when I told him my friends both paid $6K for their photos...

I'm meeting with Ginger next week and Wilson Photog this week.  Fox isn't available on my wedding date.
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • duncanpowersduncanpowers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I just saw your question--Yes, I was very, very happy with Wilson and had several friends hire them afterwards because of the results. GL with your decision!
  • CherylK00CherylK00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I am having the same problems.  I only want to spend $1000, but I may end up spening 1500.00. I did find a place that does pics under $1000.00  http://www.sandbweddingimages.com/#/pricing. they took photos for my friend and they came out nice. Their packages start at 750
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards