Attire & Accessories Forum

Looking for dress suggestions

After having our wedding on hold for two years, we are back to planning it again. I recently decided that I'm going to wear cowboy boots with my dress and hopefully have my two bridesmaids in Eyelet Lace dresses. Can anyone suggest where I might find eyelet dresses that come in different styles and various colors? And does there seem to be certain styles of wedding dresses that look better with boots? I have seen the asymmetrical (?) style a few times, but not sure of any others. Thanks. Danyel

Re: Looking for dress suggestions

• After having our wedding on hold for two years, we are back to planning it again. I recently decided that I'm going to wear cowboy boots with my dress and hopefully have my two bridesmaids in Eyelet Lace dresses. Can anyone suggest where I might find eyelet dresses that come in different styles and various colors? And does there seem to be certain styles of wedding dresses that look better with boots? I have seen the asymmetrical (?) style a few times, but not sure of any others. Thanks. Danyel

No style of formal dress "looks better" with cowboy boots.

Cowboy boots are workwear, so they would clash with the formality of a wedding dress.

Can you perhaps wear the boots for a few pictures and choose some dress flats to wear with your wedding gown?

• I got an eyelet dress at old navy and they had a ton then.. I'm pretty sure they're out of season now. Good luck!
    *********************************************************************************

• Dresses of any kind and cowboy boots never go together.  But if you really want to wear cowboy boots with your wedding dress I would suggest something pretty casual.  Meaning no satin or lots of beading or embellishments.  Not sure whether you want long or short but I think a slim to the body a-line dress with straps and a v-neck, maybe made out of a not so delicate looking lace would be an ok compliment to your boots.

I am not sure when your wedding is but finding eyelet lace dresses now for your BMs may be hard since that style/fabric of dress is more popular in the spring/summer then it is right now when fall stuff is out in stores.

• I'm so relieved you all stopped me from making the biggest mistake of my life with the boots/dress.

• I'm so relieved you all stopped me from making the biggest mistake of my life with the boots/dress.
    Okay, sassypants. YOU posted on the internet and can't dictate how people respond to your (crappy) ideas. 
  • After having our wedding on hold for two years, we are back to planning it again. I recently decided that I'm going to wear cowboy boots with my dress and hopefully have my two bridesmaids in Eyelet Lace dresses. Can anyone suggest where I might find eyelet dresses that come in different styles and various colors? And does there seem to be certain styles of wedding dresses that look better with boots? I have seen the asymmetrical (?) style a few times, but not sure of any others. Thanks. Danyel
    I've never seen a wedding dress look good with boots.  They do not match each other in level of formality and I therefore I just think it ends up looking ridiculous.
  • I find that the dresses that work best with boots are classic in style and a-line. If you try to go modern it can clash. I would avoid mermaid, taffeta and other more modern styles and instead look for ruffles, lace, sweetheart necklines, cap sleeves, etc. 

Boots are rustic and romantic and your dress should play tribute to that, while not looking like a costume, if that makes sense. No need to go full on period styling with the dress, but classic touches will go a long way to making the boots look like they belong.

I don't agree with pairing a wedding dress and cowboy boots but I gave you an idea of what direction to go with your wedding dress if you really did want to wear the boots.  So why don't you cut it with the attitude.  We can all have our opinions on something and still be helpful.  But with this reply I really wish I didn't try to help you at all.

• It's definitely not for me...I wouldn't do cowboy boots in my wedding. But I went to a wedding once where the bridesmaids wore cowboy boots with short chiffon strapless dresses. It looked really nice, and it helped a lot that the venue fit it...it was at a farm in Georgia. If you were having the wedding in a church, for example, then it wouldn't fit at all and I would wonder what the bride was thinking. All depends on the style of the wedding. :-)
  • vegasgrrl24vegasgrrl24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    Many of you just took an opp to tell someone you thought their idea/opinion was bad rather than offer helpful suggestions.

• Many of you just took an opp to tell someone you thought their idea/opinion was bad rather than offer helpful suggestions.
    Beggars (of advice) can't be choosers.

• Again, people just took an opportunity to down a style. They could have just passed on by the post.

• Maggie posted helpful advice.  So did SBmini.

Pull your head out and stop being an ungrateful wench for goodness sake.  And welcome to the internet, where if you post to a forum, ANYONE can say whatever they please.

Now, this is coming from someone who's a native Texan (I'm one of those rare native Austinites) and who wears boots to the barn when she goes horseback riding.  I wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing my shit kickers under my wedding gown.

WHY?

Because they don't.go.together.

I've had friends and family keep trying to talk me in to wearing boots beneath my gown.  No way.  Not happening.  I live and breathe in them every other day of my life, but NOT on this one day.

My groom and my guests deserve to be hosted with style and class.

Now, again, in regards to your BM gowns.  Good luck.  They're out of season.  How long until your wedding?  OR, perhaps see if you can't buy the fabric from JoAnne's or Hancock and have a local seamstress whip up what you want if your wedding happens to be before Spring.
  • Again, people just took an opportunity to down a style. They could have just passed on by the post.
    You posted on a forum.  People are allowed to give their opinion.  I gave you my opinion about boots and wedding dresses.  But I also gave you an idea of a dress style to go with since you want to wear boots.  Just because I and other posters think boots with wedding dresses is a bad idea does not mean that we are also not trying to be helpful.

Like PP said, you need to get your head out of your ass and realize that beyond the opinions that others have that aren't the same as yours is some helpful advice.

Actually I was watching a My Fair Wedding episode tonight and saw a bride wearing a dress like the one I described in my first post with cowboy boots.  She looked beautiful and she was happy. But that does not mean that I think it was a good idea.  But you wearing boots is not going to ruin my day so do whatever but don't come back and get all shitty because people don't agree with you.  That is typical of life and you better get used to it.

• But I didn't ask people if they liked the idea... Right? I asked for opinions of dress styles that go with boots. If you don't like them, don't comment. Easy. If you've actually answered my question, thanks! Also, there are MANY MANY MANY brides wearing boots with their dress, still you don't have to like it.

• vegasgrrl24 said:
    But I didn't ask people if they liked the idea... Right? I asked for opinions of dress styles that go with boots. If you don't like them, don't comment. Easy. If you've actually answered my question, thanks! Also, there are MANY MANY MANY brides wearing boots with their dress, still you don't have to like it.
    I agree with you to a degree. But if people don't think something works then they are being helpful by sharing that. If you were to post about having bbq food to a black tie wedding, people would likely say the same thing- that the two things don't go together and suggest you do something different. That doesn't mean they are hating on bbq, they just don't think it's a good idea to mix the two concepts. 

You don't have to take the advice you receive.
  • But I didn't ask people if they liked the idea... Right? I asked for opinions of dress styles that go with boots. If you don't like them, don't comment. Easy. If you've actually answered my question, thanks! Also, there are MANY MANY MANY brides wearing boots with their dress, still you don't have to like it.
    I don't give a shit if "MANY MANY MANY" brides are wearing boots with dresses.  It doesn't change my mind that I think it looks like crap.

Again I answered your question but I also gave you my opinion.  You will get that a lot on here. Everyone has differing ideas and thoughts about things.  If people don't agree with your ideas then they have every right to say so.  If you don't want to hear other people's opinions then don't post a question.

• It's been a real treat with everyone on this thread. I hope those of you that have been so concerned about my fashion faux pas will rest better knowing that I have decided AGAINST boots with my dress.

• I'm wearing boots and so are my bridesmaids. It's not everybody's thing here but neither are the camo and antlers that are in my wedding either but it fits us and our guests!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know Maurices, Target and Old Navy had some cute eyelet dresses this past summer. Try checking their websites in the Clearance section to see what they still have available. Since it sounds like you don't want your BM all matching, just the same basic style, you might have luck. Else you might have to wait until next spring and hope that the eyelet style is back. Good luck with that.

PS Wear whatever shoes you feel comfortable in, It's your wedding day. I had a certain style of shoe in mind for my wedding but I fell to the pressure of everyone else & got a pair of wedding style heels that I paid too much for, my feet were in pain and I'll never wear the shoes again. If Biggest waste of money. If boots are your style, then go for it!!! Unless your dress is short, most people won't even see your shoes.

• I've seen it done, and I think it's cute (as long as it's done right)... but of of course I am from the south and love by boots :)

I think a dress that hits right at or above the knee would look really cute... You might also want to consider having different dresses, especially if they have different boots. I would try to stay away from stiff fabrics (like satin) and stick with fabrics that are more flowy

I was able to find a few examples that I thought might help

http://www.rockytopleather.com/news/miranda-lambert-bought-her-bridesmaids-old-gringo-boots/

http://blog.tgkdesigns.com/2012/05/14/travels-wedding-inspiration-board-jackson-mississippi-country-southern-relaxed-sweet-tea-watermelon-sunshine

http://www.wedsociety.com/wedding-ideas/bridesmaids/232142

http://www.bendthelightblog.com/allison-allen-don-strange-ranch-kendall-creek-wedding-reception-boerne-tx/

http://rusticweddingchic.com/rustic-wedding-with-bridesmaids-in-cowboy-boots

http://www.projectwedding.com/forums/bridesmaids-in-cowboy-boots-2

Hope these help!! Good luck!

• I would say go try on dresses.. but make sure you take a pair of boots with you..they don't have to be the ones you are going to wear but something close to it... I did this, ended up changing my mind on shoes due to it but it helped A LOT!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards