Just Engaged and Proposals

Obstacles of planning a wedding

So before I dive deep into my burning question, let me give you a little background of my situation. I am recently engaged to my boyfriend of 14 years (! and no this is not a typo, and yes I am 28 years old). We are just one of those rare couples that have been together since middle school! Haha I know its crazy, but I guess this is one of the many factors that is making my wedding planning so hard! We had always talked about a short engagement so we would like to get married in the beginning of of next year (2014). But here comes the obstacles....it is less than a year out so most venues have all their Saturdays booked. Our real anniversary is March 2nd so I would love to get married on that weekend, and Friday February 28th happens to be available at the venue of my dreams! BUT....my sister in law is pregnant and is due Feb. 4th so I feel really bad that she will have only 3 weeks to recover. The next date that would be available is March 7th, BUT there is another wedding on that date that will cause guests to have to choose which wedding to attend. So...the next date is March 21st, BUT that is the weekend before spring break (I live in Florida) and all hotels are not willing to block rooms for the wedding party because of this!! Uhhhhh!!! 

So now to my question....It feels like there are never ending obstacles to planning a wedding and I was just wondering if any one else has encountered this and if it is normal/inevitable? I just want to have a nice laid back celebration but I am just in the beginning trying to pick a venue and already I have all these tough decisions!

Re: Obstacles of planning a wedding

• You will probably find something less than ideal about every date. Babies aren't necessarily born exactly when they're due so it could be earlier or later. I would ask her if she's okay with it being the 28, if that weekend is that important to you. If she's not then I would do it the 21. Room blocks are nice but not required. You might want to warn people to book rooms early though.
  • Your "real anniversary" will be the day you get married. I would explore some more dates, or talk to your SIL abour Feb 28.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kingrm said:
    So before I dive deep into my burning question, let me give you a little background of my situation. I am recently engaged to my boyfriend of 14 years (! and no this is not a typo, and yes I am 28 years old). We are just one of those rare couples that have been together since middle school! Haha I know its crazy, but I guess this is one of the many factors that is making my wedding planning so hard! We had always talked about a short engagement so we would like to get married in the beginning of of next year (2014). But here comes the obstacles....it is less than a year out so most venues have all their Saturdays booked. Our real anniversary is March 2nd so I would love to get married on that weekend, and Friday February 28th happens to be available at the venue of my dreams! BUT....my sister in law is pregnant and is due Feb. 4th so I feel really bad that she will have only 3 weeks to recover. The next date that would be available is March 7th, BUT there is another wedding on that date that will cause guests to have to choose which wedding to attend. So...the next date is March 21st, BUT that is the weekend before spring break (I live in Florida) and all hotels are not willing to block rooms for the wedding party because of this!! Uhhhhh!!! 

So now to my question....It feels like there are never ending obstacles to planning a wedding and I was just wondering if any one else has encountered this and if it is normal/inevitable? I just want to have a nice laid back celebration but I am just in the beginning trying to pick a venue and already I have all these tough decisions!
    You dating anniversary and your wedding anniversary do not need to be the same, more reasons to celebrate?  DH has 8 brothers and sisters, and currently 1 niece and 3 nephews. For us, we didn't want to miss birthdays or holidays with the family, in the case that we wanted to go on vacation to celebrate our anniversary and that was how we chose our date .

In regards to his sister it's going to be a decision you and FI have to make, sometimes babies come early and sometimes they come late. I appreciate that you are considerate about how much down time she will have, but this is definitely one of those situations that you guys will have to decide on together.
    Example: DH has a cousin who is really close to, said cousin's wife was due on 5/11, we got married on 5/18, ultimately, they opted not to attend because of the 5 hour travel time and it being so close to the due date. Baby wasn't born until 5/21. But there is no way they would have known.
  • i think its impossible to plan a wedding with no drama. even if you elope there is drama from family. you just have to try to not let it get to you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards