Wedding Etiquette Forum

Courtesy invite- would you go?

I recieved a STD for a wedding last winter. I just recieved the invite, and the wedding is this fall.

Earlier this year, something happened between me and the couple, Bob and Jane. I'm changing identifying details here, FYI. At a party, Bob tried to kiss me. He was drunk and acting weird and asked me to go outside. I did, because I thought people would be out there smoking. When we were alone, I felt really off and so I immediately turned to go inside. In the garage going into the house, he pulled me aside and asked me to kiss him first. I said no, find Jane if you want to kiss someone. I immediately went inside and found Jane and said "Go talk to your f****** fiancé".

A few days later I met up with Jane and told her what happened. She didn't blame me or anything but obviously she was upset. We basically ended the conversation with her saying that she doesn't want her fiancé to see me, but that she would try to be friends, but I reminded her of the issue and it makes her feel bad.

Ever since, things haven't been the same between any of us. She decided to marry him anyways, and that's their decision and I don't really care, not my business. We still see each other and are in the same friend group but it's really awkward. We still try, but I feel bad about what happened, am angry he would put me in that situation. Jane is/was my friend. I feel like half of me just wants to forget my friendship with Jane, and I think she feels the same way.

Anyways, would you go? I feel like I just got a courtesy invite, and can't decide if I should go.

Re: Courtesy invite- would you go?

• If the couple makes you feel awkward and uncomfortable I would advise declining the invitation.
  • If you really feel like half of you wants to forget your friendship, and you feel uncomfortable, don't go. Especially if you think that she feels the same way.

• If you really feel like half of you wants to forget your friendship, and you feel uncomfortable, don't go. Especially if you think that she feels the same way.

I second this.
  • I'd decline. This all sounds like a hot mess.
  • Decline. 

However, I'm confused. Did he just ask you to kiss him or did he actually try to physically kiss you?
  • I wouldn't go. I'm sorry this has ruined your friendship though :(

• Fran1985 Fran1985 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    I would definitely not go. Seems like neither they nor you would actually enjoy you being there. Declining is a gracious way out I think- I would just send my regrets and say you wish them the best 

ETA-typo

• It may be an effort from her to try to save the friendship. But if you are not comfortable being around them, then I would decline. What's the point of going through the work of getting dressed up, giving a gift if you aren't going to enjoy the event.

• Thanks! I will decline. I figured if they were sending StDs now, I doubt I would get one. I'm glad the bride decided to send one, but I will decline and let our friendship naturally fall to the side.
  • I recieved a STD for a wedding last winter. I just recieved the invite, and the wedding is this fall.

Earlier this year, something happened between me and the couple, Bob and Jane. I'm changing identifying details here, FYI. At a party, Bob tried to kiss me. He was drunk and acting weird and asked me to go outside. I did, because I thought people would be out there smoking. When we were alone, I felt really off and so I immediately turned to go inside. In the garage going into the house, he pulled me aside and asked me to kiss him first. I said no, find Jane if you want to kiss someone. I immediately went inside and found Jane and said "Go talk to your f****** fiancé".

A few days later I met up with Jane and told her what happened. She didn't blame me or anything but obviously she was upset. We basically ended the conversation with her saying that she doesn't want her fiancé to see me, but that she would try to be friends, but I reminded her of the issue and it makes her feel bad.

Ever since, things haven't been the same between any of us. She decided to marry him anyways, and that's their decision and I don't really care, not my business. We still see each other and are in the same friend group but it's really awkward. We still try, but I feel bad about what happened, am angry he would put me in that situation. Jane is/was my friend. I feel like half of me just wants to forget my friendship with Jane, and I think she feels the same way.

Anyways, would you go? I feel like I just got a courtesy invite, and can't decide if I should go.
    Wow. So he put you in a horribly awkward position that you responded to with as much grace as you could, and her response is, "I don't want you to see my FI?" Maybe it is just my reading of your post, but that kind of language implies that she is blaming you in some way, which is waaay uncalled for...you did nothing wrong. Decline, for sure.
  • Yeah it sounds like they just sent you an invite because they had already sent an STD. If she doesn't want her FI to be around you then they are probably hoping you will decline.

• I'd decline. This all sounds like a hot mess.
    Well said. Agreed!
  • I must say that I'm surprised that you still got an invite. Most people would have forgone etiquette in a situation where the dynamic of a friendship has changed so drastically to the point of uncomfortable.

In a situation where the tables are turned and a bride asked the E board what to do if that had happened between their FI and friend and had already extended a STD, I would venture to guess that she would be wondering if she should even send an invite. We would say yes, STD=invite, but that the recipient would most likely decline anyway (hopefully) if things really were awkward and uncomfortable. I don't think there would be any love lost if you declined.

*The bride may not have felt that particular way, but I'm just using that as an example ;)

• Thanks for all the responses! I won't go.

To explain, I am good friends with her roommates and we all live in the same apartment complex. When her FI isn't around she is less weird around me, but I really sense the tension when he is around. I see her because I am friends with her roommates. I think she has just been trying to keep the peace because we can't easily avoid each other and because she knows I didn't do anything wrong. Honestly, I just feel sorry for her.

She's moving to his house after the wedding which is an hour drive from where we/our friends live now, so I wouldn't be surprised if I rarely saw her after this.

The main reason I was considering going is because our mutual friends were trying to convince me to go.
  • I'd make up a great excuse to decline the invitation if you're uncomfortable.
  • I would definitely decline.  I feel sorry for her too. She is obviously entering into a marriage with a man who she can't trust. What a way to start a marriage. He is a complete ass ! Not that I am justifying any type of behavior like this, but of all the women you could approach, you approach a woman that is friends with your fiancé ?  Really ? It is possible that he was trying to sabotage the relationship so that she would call off the wedding ?

I am just curious about a few things.  Do any of your mutual friends know what happened ?
    Are they aware of this tension/awkwardness when you are all together ?
    Will your mutual friends think it is strange that you don't attend the wedding if they are all there ?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards