Retro and Vintage Weddings

Old Juke Joint/ Saloon/Dancehall Theme

I'm a bride on a budget and I'm having a really hard time coming up with ideas for the ceremony that incorporate our theme. The reception is easy enough, but the ceremony...

Our colors are red, ivory and black. I want the ceremony to be a little more understated and simple then the reception--but I'm not sure how to incorporate the theme so everything flows.

Any suggestions?

Re: Old Juke Joint/ Saloon/Dancehall Theme

• edited August 2010
    Where is your ceremony location? If it's in a chapel, I would just go super simple and just use the flowers you plan to use at the reception. What are you wanting to incorporate at the ceremony? As in, are you having a unity ceremony? Or are you hanging things from the pews? Or putting things down on the aisle? Do you have a flowergirl? What color are the bridesmaids dresses? I don't think the ceremony has to be too literal as far as lined up with the decor of the reception. Maybe just small details will help it flow.
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • edited August 2010
    I agree with Amber...my ceremony is not really tying into my reception a whole lot...The music is what will set the tone mainly. I'm getting married outside though and we have a beautiful back drop so we will need minimal decorations.
    I'm focusing all decor ideas on my reception.
    *Katie & David* July 22nd 2011 Our Shindig and Blog Updated Weekly! Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Your inspiration board looks very vintage country to me. I'm not getting "dancehall" from it.
    I agree with pps. To incorporate your theme in the ceremony just do it in little touches. I like your red plaid pic. What if you wrap the BMs bouquets in a red check fabric like the one you have shown? Or even a red bandana. That could be too cute. You could use mason jars to line the aisle. Use a simple checked ribbon on the programs somewhere. Give us some more to go on and the ladies on this board will definitely hook you up with some awesome ideas!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like others have said, I wouldn't go over the top theme wise in the ceremony. I love the idea of the bouquet wraps in the red check fabric. That would be lovely.
    You could do pew decorations with flowers in mason jars, something like this.

Definitely let us know where you're having your ceremony, because that helps so much when deciding what you're gonna do.

image 141 Invited so far!
    image 112 Are ready to party!
    image 29 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks all! These are great ideas. I had something other than "Saloon/Dancehall" when I first wrote the post. It's more of a Juke Joint/ ______ Tonk theme. The Knot wouldn't let me fill in the blank b/c the word can also be used as a racial slur, which is understandable. I was trying to think of another word to convey it in case some didn't know what a Juke Joint was.

Country Vintage is a great description of what I'm going for!

We just got engaged recently, so we haven't set a date or anything. So far our plan is to get married in a "little chapel in the woods" that has big windows that will provide a nice view of nature. We are doing the unity candle and the  http://www.weddingofyourdesire.com/unique_ideas.html Wedding Box Ceremony. The bridesmaid dresses will be red with some sort of black incorporated somewhere. The flower girl will be in red also. Maybe we can put plaid ribbons in her hair or something? I was also thinking of ivory or red pomanders to hang from the chairs maybe.

I love the mason jar idea! Thanks y'all!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_old-juke-joint-saloondancehall-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:667Discussion:f34360cf-d921-4d3b-b151-fd6f080793f6Post:205dd7aa-7529-482a-b49a-227796081daf">Re: Old Juke Joint/ Saloon/Dancehall Theme</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like others have said, I wouldn't go over the top theme wise in the ceremony. I love the idea of the bouquet wraps in the red check fabric. That would be lovely. You could do pew decorations with flowers in mason jars, something like this. Definitely let us know where you're having your ceremony, because that helps so much when deciding what you're gonna do.
    Posted by kitkat887[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's so pretty! Love it!
  • I bet I know where you are getting married! I graduated from there this year :)
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • Ha Ha! I live there now, but I go to UNT.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards