Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invite wording for gay wedding situation

My partner and I cannot marry in our state (a civil union is an option but not one that gains us anything in rights). We will legally marry in NYC with just the two of us but will hold a ceremony before our friends and family with a reception/party prior to the journey to stand before a bureaucrat to make it legal two days later. We wish to be transparent about those plans and not hide the fact that this ceremony has no legal standing but, believing as we do that it is our vows that make our marriage, it is important to us to share with those who have been a part of our lives for the past 16 years. I've been saddened too many times while friends jet off to stand before a JOP to get their legal rights while sacrificing the spiritual and social aspects of sharing beautiful commitment with those who mean much to them. We will have both the ceremony and celebration and the tedium of travelling to a far away clerk to make it okay in the eyes of the feds. That is decided so please avoid the PPD talk and sideways galnces at what is socially acceptable. I don't mean to be rude but, in my eyes, it's completely socially unacceptable to prevent two people in love from marrying in their faith and obtaining the legal rights due to them. With that said, here's the wording we're tinkering with (based on input we got a few months ago around here). I'm open to suggestions.  

Groom 1 and Groom 2
announce their legal marriage to take place
the twelfth of May
Two thousand and fourteen
in New York, New York

The great pleasure of your company is requested
as they affirm their vows before their most
cherished family and friends 

Saturday, the tenth of May
at half past seven o’clock in the evening

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Re: Invite wording for gay wedding situation

• I've never been an invite-wording expert, but as a guest I would find that very clear and proper. I also agree that your situation is not a PPD.
  • I don't see a problem with what you're planning to do.  Now, if you COULD get legally married where you are, then it might be a different story. But, since you can't, I think you're doing the most proper way you can. 
  • My partner and I cannot marry in our state (a civil union is an option but not one that gains us anything in rights). We will legally marry in NYC with just the two of us but will hold a ceremony before our friends and family with a reception/party prior to the journey to stand before a bureaucrat to make it legal two days later. We wish to be transparent about those plans and not hide the fact that this ceremony has no legal standing but, believing as we do that it is our vows that make our marriage, it is important to us to share with those who have been a part of our lives for the past 16 years. I've been saddened too many times while friends jet off to stand before a JOP to get their legal rights while sacrificing the spiritual and social aspects of sharing beautiful commitment with those who mean much to them. We will have both the ceremony and celebration and the tedium of travelling to a far away clerk to make it okay in the eyes of the feds. That is decided so please avoid the PPD talk and sideways galnces at what is socially acceptable. I don't mean to be rude but, in my eyes, it's completely socially unacceptable to prevent two people in love from marrying in their faith and obtaining the legal rights due to them. With that said, here's the wording we're tinkering with (based on input we got a few months ago around here). I'm open to suggestions.  

Groom 1 and Groom 2
    announce their legal marriage to take place
    the twelfth of May
    in New York, New York

The great pleasure of your company is requested as they
    Groom 1 
    and 
    Groom 2
    affirm their vows before their most
    cherished family and friends 

Saturday, the tenth of May
    Ttwo thousand and fourteen
    at half past after seven o’clock in the evening not necessary unless you really want it
    Location of the wedding
    City, State
    Reception to follow OR Reception immediately following OR other
    Thanks for your thoughts. 
    I would leave the highlighted out. The reason is because if this came in an invitation, I would think I was invited to both events. I fixed a couple of other things - very minor.
    *********************************************************************************

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

Yeah...that's pretty much the exact wording I gave you a month ago. I'd skip the "most cherished family and friends" part.

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/988192/gay-marriage-in-one-state-but-formal-ceremony-in-another#latest

Groom A and Groom B announce their marriage

Friday, the sixth of September, two thousand and thirteen

in Anytown, USA

The pleasure of your company is requested as they reaffirm their vows

Saturday, the twenty-first of September, two thousand and thirteen

5 o'clock

XYZ Venue

Anytown, USA

Reception to follow

• Yes, itzMS, I haven't forgotten your word-smithery! Thank you again. At that time we talked about doing the legal thing first. Then it was on to just do what our state allows, now back to doing it after the ceremony here thanks to the IRS announcement yesterday. What a headache. Thanks again!
  • My sister and her wife were married in DC in June and had a wedding in our state in August. They choose to use the traditional wording on their invites. Everyone knew they were married legally, but they wanted to call it a wedding - despite what etiquette and PPDs might have to say. They wore wedding gowns and wanted a wedding - that they couldn't have legally the way they wanted to...

SO I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to write it as you have that's awesome. It sounds good. If you want to call it a wedding and not a vows affirmation I'm behind you, as I'm sure your guests will be too!
    I completely agree with you - it's completely socially unacceptable to prevent two people in love from marrying in their faith and obtaining the legal rights due to them - and you deserve to have your day and in this case both of them! It's in no way a PPD, just like my sister's wasn't :-)
    Congrats!! 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Sounds good to me. It's very clear. 

This is obviously not a PPD, although to be honest, I wish it were --- not because I want to tell you how tacky it is to have a PPD, but because it'd mean same-sex marriage was legal and recognized nationally.  
  • The suggested wording is perfect!
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your wording is perfect.   And this situation is 100% a major exception any PPD criticism that anyone might be tempted to  throw at you.   It's complete BS that you have to do it this way in the first place and you shouldn't be deprived of the opportunity to have the ceremony, pomp and circumstance with your friends and family just because you have to go to another state to make it legal.  Congratulations to you.
  • I agree some of the other pp, treat the invite like a regular invite, your family & friends now it won't be legal there, but it will mean a lot to them to watch you exchange vows. You can always announce at your reception that you will be going to NYC as part of your Honeymoon for a legal ceremony.

Congrats on finding that special someone!!!

• I think this sounds like a lovely plan, and I think that your wording works pretty well. If you include the specific time and location for the ceremony taking place in your home state, while only putting the date on the legal marriage part, I think that will make it quite clear to your guests how this is all working.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, and I'm sorry you have to jump through all these hoops to make it happen! I look forward to a day when same-sex couples can get married in all 50 states and have it legally recognized throughout the country at both a state and federal level.
  • Congratulations to you and your man! I hope that you enjoy BOTH of your ceremonies, even if it is for different reasons. :) I just got back from San Francisco, where dear friends of mine were FINALLY able to have their union recognized by the law, even though their wedding here in Texas was 9 years ago. I hope that very soon, we'll all be treated with the respect and equality we deserve, when it comes to deciding how and when to create a family, be it by marriage or by birth.

I've performed many LGBTQ commitment ceremonies and understand the difference in your feelings between your chosen wedding ceremony and the legal procedure, but try to stay open to the experience. You'll be surprised at just how beautiful your JP ceremony can be, and how good you'll feel, when they finally sign that license. :) I'd be happy to take a few minutes to help you come up with something specific, if you'd like to PM me and tell me a little about the two of you. :)

• I only wonder about the word "reaffirm" since your family ceremony is taking place before the legal wedding.

Otherwise, I think it sounds beautiful.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards