October 2014 Weddings
Options

Advice for my ever-growing budget!

Hi! So my wedding is Oct. 18, 2014. So I still have over a year left to plan. I have made up a budget and a list of things we are going to need/buy. I have found a venue in my area that is perfect! The pricing is even on point for me! I have almost everything down to the reception decor of what I am going to do and buy! I am very big on DIYing things and budgeting myself. But I went to a bridal show this past weekend and met a videographer/cinemaphotography. We totally clicked and I was instantly mesmerized by their work! It truly is awesome! They stay with you the WHOLE day of your wedding. I was extremely impressed and ready to book until I saw their pricing. It was upwards towards $4000. They only offer one package and I honestly think it's totally worth it.They do offer payment plans, But I am a bride on a budget. I am trying to think of other things I can cut in my budget but when I made it I only put the bare essentials of what we needed/wanted! I still have to finish paying off venue and I am about to buy my wedding dress in the next month or so, which I will most likely make payments on it. (That was the one thing I said I would splurge on if need be) So in your opinion, what are things that could be cut from a budget in order to "splurge" on something else? I've also thought about starting a savings acct. just for that and if I want it bad enough, I could put money aside in savings instead of buying new clothes, etc. I just thought I knew exactly everything I wanted, but I guess not. Any advice is appreciated! 

Re: Advice for my ever-growing budget!

• Options
    smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013

you can cut favors, programs, STDates. Do only beer and wine, cut the hard alcohol and champange toast. Cut the fancy toasting flutes and serving sets. Cut the florist and order silk flowers and DIY your bouts and bouqets.

you could also have it at a non meal time and just do cake, punch and apps and cut alcohol all together.

ETA: See very awesome list below from @HisGirlFriday13 (pst she rocks)

1. Have your wedding off-season. If you live in Michigan, have it in January, for example.

2. Have it not on a Saturday -- Friday nights and Sundays are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than a Saturday -- but a Friday night will increase your number of declined invitations.

3. Have it not over a mealtime, so you can serve heavy hors d'oeuvres rather than full meals. 

4. Have it over lunch, so you can serve a lighter meal and less alcohol.

5. Have a dry reception. Alcohol is one of the biggest costs for a wedding reception. (Do not have a cash bar; that's terribly rude).

6. Don't do favors. They're unnecessary if you're trying to save money. 

7. Make sure your invitations can be sent with one regular first-class stamp. That will save on postage.

8. Don't sent STDates. They're unnecessary if you're trying to save money. 

9. Design your RSVPs to be postcards; that will save on postage.

10. Do minimal flowers and decorations. Only use in-season flowers to save money. Have a small WP to cut down on flowers for them, and WP gifts. 

11. Don't go over the top with centrepieces; do something simple and cheap.

Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options

you can cut favors, programs, STDates. Do only beer and wine, cut the hard alcohol and champange toast. Cut the fancy toasting flutes and serving sets. Cut the florist and order silk flowers and DIY your bouts and bouqets.

you could also have it at a non meal time and just do cake, punch and apps and cut alcohol all together.

also, congrats date buddy! im a bride on a budget and its HARD! But I feel ya lady!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    smalfrie19  gave you and still cant find the 4,000 maybe it would be a good idea to look into other videographers. 

Here is how we are cutting our budget:

• Smaller package at our venue. The package we are going with is awesome, but the more expensive ones are more awesome-er. I honestly don't think my guests will be that upset that they only get 3 meal choices instead of 4. Especially since there will be an option for everyone
    • Invitations - Think about DIY-ing them or cheaper alternatives. Letterpress and embossing are super expensive for something that most people will throw out anyway. 
    • Smaller bouquets for your bridesmaids. Do they really need a HUGE arrangement when a large single bloom would also look beautiful?
    • Cut your guest list. Cutting a few people and having a smaller wedding can save you big $$. 
    • Cut transportation. Is a limo really necessary?
    • Do your own makeup. Hair can be tricky, but if your good at doing your own makeup, why not save some money and do it yourself. 

These are some of the things that we are doing to cut costs. 

Oh and my splurge item were my dress (which I cant wait to see again!) and photographer. 

Just remember, a wedding isn't worth going into debt. Thats what I keep telling myself. 

• Options
    I suggest keep looking for videographers in your area. Maybe you can compromise a little, while saving half that money. $4000 seems pretty expensive to me.
    Just a thought :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

$4000 is a lot. I would look at other videographers. It could be the area I live in but mine is only $750 all day and I get to do a special message the week or two before the wedding so my groom can watch it before I walk down the isle.

• Options
    I just engaged about three weeks ago, and am starting the search to fine a venue.  So stressed! I was wondering..what is the typical cost for a caterer if you are booking a venue that doesn't provide one? 
  • Options
    mrsb53mrsb53 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for those great tips smalfrie19!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards