Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair for Simple Eliza J Dress

My wedding dress is very simple and I love it. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/eliza-j-beaded-lace-inset-silk-mikado-gown/3124062?cm_pla=dresses%3Awomen%3Adress&cm_cat=tellapart&cm_ven=display_rt&cm_ite=core

This is the only photo I've really seen of my dress. It is very similar to, if not the same as, the dress Tess wears in the bridal appointment scene of "27 Dresses," and I've only seen a full up-do paired with it. I have naturally curly hair, so I have been looking at half-up hair styles so I can show them off a little (I'm always straightening my hair to tame my curls haha!) while still having them out of the way. I can easily see how an elegant bun looks wonderful with this dress, I honestly don't want a bun mainly due to my own discomfort with my hair being pulled back completely. I will have a veil, although I will probably take it off at some point before we eat at the reception. 

I love the bottom style in this photo here because it's playful yet subtle.  https://abuttercreamwedding.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/both-up-and-down.jpg Would this hairstyle work with this dress? 

Depending on how long my hair is for our January 2014 wedding, I might end up doing this one http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/22/3b/1e/223b1e2f04a057b241fac1903e6f65a1.jpg but still love the first style more. 

I'd love some views on this. I think either style would work for the dress, but I also don't want the hair to compete with it. Hair ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!! 

Re: Hair for Simple Eliza J Dress

• What a pretty dress!  I love simple dresses that aren't bedazzle explosion.  Your dress will showcase you!

I think you have a lot of flexibility.  Often women look naked with hair up in strapless dresses.  If it was strapless, I'd say wear it down.  Since you have straps, you could go either way.  Try searching photos of Anna Lynne McCord.  She has curly hair and always looks fabulous.

One thing to be careful with--sometimes half up on curly hair makes you look like a triangle head.  Tight and smooth up top where it's back, then big below.  

Can your hair do waves?  I think soft waves are always elegant.  You could retro it up for a night wedding, for a more casual day affair go more beachy...
  • ceclardy14ceclardy14 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    Thanks! I love that this dress has a little bit of everything that I've adored in dresses I've looked at online or on TV, but it was the only one I tried on. The simplicity of it is one thing I love about my dress. Thanks for the Anna Lynne McCord advice too.

Hahahaha, oh yes, I certainly know the triangle head a little too well, and I completely agree. Definitely getting my hair cut and/or cleaned up probably this month or October to try to avoid just that. 

I've thought about waves and keep going between curly and wavy. I wonder if there is a way to do some of both, like wavy everywhere except the top layers and make the top layers curly? 

• What about pinning one side with some pretty pins or a crystal/pearl clip?

• Very pretty! Thank you, that will help!
  • I was also considering a side style because I've noticed I have been doing that a lot lately when trying to get my hair away from my neck without putting it up in a ponytail or bun. 
  • I wore this dress for my wedding last week with a half-up style and soft curls... I think it worked really well. I would be happy to privately share some pics so you can see what it looks like!
  • NGreco10 said:
    I wore this dress for my wedding last week with a half-up style and soft curls... I think it worked really well. I would be happy to privately share some pics so you can see what it looks like!
    I'd love that! And if you want I can message you the style that my hairdresser and I agreed on that will work well with my natural curls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards