Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Catering and cake

Alright, so we met with Abuelo's for a tasting, and I'm thinking we're going to go with them for the catering. Doing 2 enchiladas per person (plus sides, chips & salsa & water / tea) is only $8.99 per person. I feel this is a pretty good deal, and the food was delicious too, but we are running pretty close on our budget, and it's looking like all things considered, we're probably going to go over budget (our budget is $10,000, and I'm thinking we might go over by $1,000 at the most possibly). But anyway, I want to be considerate to everyone who is helping pay, and I want to avoid everyone having to pay more than they're "signed up for."

So, I was thinking to save money, maybe instead of saying we're having 150 people / 2 enchilada option at $8.99 a person, maybe we say we're doing, say, 100 people / 3 enchiladas per person at $10.49 person. This would end up as the same total amount of enchiladas, but all in all, it would end up costing us like $378 less. It will be a buffet, and I can suggest the servers don't just suggest "what 3 do you want" but just let people tell them what they'd like (I think most would only want 2, and maybe some would want 1 or 3). The only difference is that there would be only 100 people's worth of sides, but I really think this would be fine. Infact, since this is such a cheaper option, we might say we'll have 110 of the choose 3 option (this way there will be more than 2 per person, just in case). What do you guys think? Worth going for this option to shave a considerable amount off of our catering bill?

Also, I'm looking at places for cakes, and I saw in a previous discussion, someone suggested Cakes by Joanna and All in the Cake Mix for good options that're less than $3 per person. If anyone else has any other suggestions in this price range, let me know! We're having 150 guests, but I know not everyone will eat cake, so I don't want to worry about paying that much extra for cake that would go uneaten. So instead of saying I need 150 people's worth of cake, maybe I say 120? What do you guys suggest?

Re: Catering and cake

• If you were having a plated meal and could control the portions it wouldnt be a problem to go with 2 per person. since it's buffett style you have to remember that you can't control how much people will serve themselves. You would hate to not have enough food because trust me the guests are not thinking I should only have one or two they are going to fill their plates with the amount they are hungry for. Also just like at a buffett they will get more than they eat and food will be wasted. It's a touch call but I would say air on the side of caution and it would be safer to have more food then not enough.

As far as the cake goes youre right not everyone will eat cake and there will prob be a ton left over. a less $4 option for a cake is to hire a home baker, there are a ton of great ones and their cakes are just as beautiful. They can charge less since they dont have the overhead of a bakery. If you would like some suggestions on people I have a few.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_catering-and-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:db335bfa-aa00-4713-a1f5-345e26f57696Post:d2318d0d-9a06-4330-8c72-461fdd8472d5">Re: Catering and cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you were having a plated meal and could control the portions it wouldnt be a problem to go with 2 per person. since it's buffett style you have to remember that you can't control how much people will serve themselves. You would hate to not have enough food because trust me the guests are not thinking I should only have one or two they are going to fill their plates with the amount they are hungry for. Also just like at a buffett they will get more than they eat and food will be wasted. It's a touch call but I would say air on the side of caution and it would be safer to have more food then not enough. As far as the cake goes youre right not everyone will eat cake and there will prob be a ton left over. a less $4 option for a cake is to hire a home baker, there are a ton of great ones and their cakes are just as beautiful. They can charge less since they dont have the overhead of a bakery. If you would like some suggestions on people I have a few.
    Posted by tiffanygoss[/QUOTE]

Yes, please I would like suggestions for budget-friendly cake bakers! And for the catering, it is a buffet line, but the Abuelo's catering staff will be serving people from the buffet line, so I don't think people over-portioning would be as much of a problem, since I can give a heads up to them and let them know to watch the portioning of the sides. Do you think it would still be a problem in this case, or you think it would be fine? We won't have less enchiladas, it would only be the sides we would have less of.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    A buffet implies all you can eat.  You might want to discuss it with the restaurant to see what they think.  Personally I don't think it's worth saving $378 to worry about people not having enough food, but I'm not the one paying.  Get some feedback from them first would be my advice--maybe if you discuss your concerns with them they will have some options.  Also, once people RSVP, maybe you'll have less than you think.

Bake Rejoice and Tabitha Ballard/Cakes by Design used to be around $1-$2 slice--not sure what they are now.  Several here have used Tabitha and been happy.
  • tiffanygosstiffanygoss member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    It's hard to judge on the sides, check and see if someone else on the boards has used Abuelo's for their catering and what the thoughts are on it.

We are using CRO Catering they are very reasonable and cater from various restaurants. You might check into them. Were having a full dinner, servers, they set up, serve, clean up, and were doing our beverage station which they maintain for $11.95 pp. Were also having our bar catered through them but only becuase logistically we can't do it ourselves with the way the day lays out.

Try Queen of Cakes, she has a FB page
    www.facebook.com/queenofcustomcakes

If you go to FB and find the TEXAS BAKERS BILL page and like it you can post on there that you are looking for a cake baker in your area, all the home bakers are on this page. Also I think Carrie has a friend whos a home baker as well.
  • Tabitha Ballard with Cakes by Design is still good and still cheap. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Great suggestions! Thanks, guys! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards