Not Engaged Yet

Anybody around this lovely Wednesday?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm wishing this week was just over! It's going by way too slow and I have a girls night planned for tomorrow and then a party at my apartment Friday and headed to the Big E on Saturday. Work is slow as ever today and just gah! Maybe I'll just work on my blog or something.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Anybody around this lovely Wednesday?

• I'm here. Don't have much to contribute beyond that. Watched DWTS last night after work. Bill Nye was stiff as hell. I gave him half my votes - I want to see him do ballroom before I decide he can't dance. Better not make me regret that.
  • good morning!  I just finished my cup of coffee, Gloria Jean's Butter Toffee in my new Keurig (with a few drops of milk).  I am weeping at the thought of an empty cup...  that stuff is GOOD.

I'm at work, but I'd rather be at home scrubbing the house.  does that tell you anything?

oh!!  we had this Moroccan soup last night, and it was just out of this world.  I am way too excited for leftovers at lunch today.
    LINK
  • @keptinstitches, Bill Nye was a little awkward. I fear he's going to become the Sanjaya of DWYS. I thought Bill Engvall was surprisingly light on his feet, though!

I am here off and on today. Just took my first med-surg exam. We're reviewing it at 11 and I'll get to find out what I got. It felt relatively painless so hopefully i passed!
  • Good luck @Amapola14! Can we tell I'm just bored today? And i've only been at work for an hour so I don't get out until 5. 

• @Kait - The Big E?

@KeptInStitches - I voted for him too!

@CocoBellaF - That soup looks and sounds so good! 

I'm around. I agree that this week is dragging. I can't believe it's only Wednesday. Tonight I'll be watching the Survivor premiere and then the Big Brother finale -- I'm so sad it's over. Tomorrow, the Eagles play so there's that. And Friday I want to clean after work so I have the rest of the weekend to relax! 

• @swazzle - I was shocked at how much we both liked it!  I doubled the amount of spices (cumin and cinnamon) and next time I would add a hint of cayenne pepper for heat.  my H was eating jalapenos straight out of the garden because he wanted some heat.  or maybe I'll just chop a couple of those up for him to mix into his soup.  he is such a weirdy.
  • For anybody not in New England, this is the Big E! I grew up a town over from it so I used to go every year with my parents. This year I'm bringing BF and my best friend. Best friend has never gone so it should be fun.

• @kait: I haven't been to the Big E this year! It's been way too busy for us, I think next year we're going to take a day off during the week and go since it'll be less crowded (hopefully).

@cocobellaf: That soup sounds so good, my BF is the same way your H is, he adds jalapenos to everything. He made nachos the other night and cooked jalapenos in the with the ground beef. It was good, but a little spicy!

This week is dragging for me, it feels like a Monday. I can't wait to go home this weekend and see the parentals. I need some shopping/quality time with my mom. We're going to my favorite restaurant for BF's birthday (fwiw it's the only restaurant in town). I still have to pick up BF's birthday gift (Grand Theft Auto and some other crap) which I'll probably do on Saturday.

Next weekend is my friend's wedding that I'm in. She just asked me if I could go over her house on my BF's actual birthday (9/25) to help with favors. I told her I'd help, I just feel bad not spending time with BF on his birthday, so I have to make sure Saturday we really party it up!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Urgh, this week is dragging - and not only because somehow I'm a day behind!  Still digging into my Sbux here, and giggling on the inside to 1) the Geico Hump Day ad, and 2) to Schmidt quotes from last night's New Girl.

If only it was Friday... then I could look at venues and nail down a place and 100% have my date!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KateJ16 going to look at venues this weekend? What kind of places are you looking at?

• @Kait - yep - going to look at two hotels in the burbs.  I originally was hoping for downtown Chicago, but after looking at costs, there is just no way (as one of my friends put it "some of these places charge you almost $10,000 just to breathe in the space" - no food, no anything else, so no thank you).

I think I found a hotel I like though - the coordinator is awesome, and the hotel is all into natural local foods (which is huge for me) - not to mention they have the date I want open!  The hotel was also recently closed for two years undergoing a full renovation, so everything in there is not even a year old yet.  Crossing my fingers!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KateJ16 Good luck! You'll have to let us know how it goes. I visited Chicago a year or so ago and loved it. We were at the Renaissance right on the river?  It's a wonderful city. 

• @Kait, Yep I have had a few friends who have stayed there!  We are looking at the Hilton Lisle/Naperville and the Chicago Marriott Naperville.  There was a random brewery that I found and liked the look of, but unfortunately they were booked (the downside of planning a wedding in a short time!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KateJ16 When are you looking to get married?

• April 5th - Definitely quick(ish), although I have friends and family who have done 3 months and made it work just fine!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed week has been sloooooow......

@Cocobellaf! always happy to try new soups, I've been through 4 different ones now and always looking for a new one to try. 

I made crockpot chili for dinner today and I'm very excited to get home to it.  Hmmmmm chili.  I really would like this weekend to happen.  My niece's birthday is this Saturday at an indoor bounce house, I'm excited to get in there and shake some kids up. 
  • Today just became insane! My boss is a jerk! Anyways... my arms are so sore from CrossFit...I'm skipping out on it today and FI and I are going to a newly married/almost married small group tonight. Tomorrow I have an interview yay...so I hope that goes well and I like what I hear. 
  • @motoLyn - we have soup at LEAST once a week during the cooler months (fall, winter, spring).  sometimes H feels the need to request no soup, but those nights I just make sure he has a nice sandwich or something to go along with it.  <3 soups!!
  • @cocobellaF, soup sounds soo good right now... I think I need to make some chicken stock so I can have some chicken noodle soup next week!!  I am going to have to look at that Moroccan soup - I bet my FI would love it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @southernpeach89 - Good luck!

This week has sort of sucked, honestly.  I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep from last week and still working long hours this week.  I'm trying to stay positive but I just want a vacation. 

• I haven't been to the Big E in YEEEEAAARS!!! Aaah!

@KateJ16 We're about where you are--trying to nail down a venue! Chicago sounds similar to Boston; everything IN the city is way out of our price range. We're looking at places within an hour of Boston, which is going much better.

As I've mentioned in some other topics, were actually close to booking our venue. The event group has two venues that are very similar (same management, same food, same contract basically), but we can't decide between the two. We've arranged a second visit to both venues, with very discerning family members, but because this weekend is a clusterfuck (and because Saturdays are 2 weddings a day at both locations), we have to wait till the 29th.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @phira, what is the difference between the two?  Are they the same price?  Is it just literally the different venue?

I am so glad - the place I like so far (the Marriott) actually put a hold on the date I wanted for a week because we couldn't get our schedules to match up for a visit.  How wonderful is that?  I hope that it ends up working out and I don't leave there disappointed...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KateJ16 It's literally just that they're two different venues. HERE, I'll AW a little bit :D

First one is the one we're leaning towards. It's got BEAUTIFUL landscaping (even if we can't get married outside in November, we can take pictures as long as it's not gross out), including a lovely area that's 100% for photos. Inside on the first floor are the bathrooms, the bar and bar area, and the main room. The main room has a cute little fireplace; it would be used for both the ceremony and reception. Upstairs is the bridal suite and the photo room. We're worried that our guests might feel a little "trapped," since it's mostly all one big room, and if it's cold or gross out, no one can go outside for a break if they wanted to.

The second venue has several spaces; we'd be renting the smaller ballroom. It also has fireplaces (really gorgeous ones) on opposite sides of the hall. There's a separate room for cocktail hour that's much better suited for cocktails than the room at the first location; guests could move between the rooms all night. Unfortunately, the building is surrounded by the parking lot, and the location is in the middle of a golf course--outdoor photos would be limited, and there's no specific room for indoor photos.

Like I said, we're almost 100% sold on the first location; we love the outside more, we love the decor in the main room, I love the bridal suite better, there's a photo room in case it rains ... but we'll have to see. We've confirmed that our discerning relatives are all available to come with us on the 29th. YAY.

Marriotts are AWESOME--it's so wonderful that they're holding the date for you! I don't think you'll leave disappointed. The hotel we looked at just outside Boston was not as nice as a Marriott, but we would have happily picked it if we weren't in love with these other locations. If we could afford a Boston-area Marriott, I'd be in there, like ... now.
    Anniversary
  • @phira, that sounds great!  The fireplaces sound awesome - I feel like that would give it an elegant yet cozy feeling.  I understand the concern about guests - but honestly, isn't that most weddings if the weather is bad?  You can go to a different room (i.e. bathroom or bar), but a lot of times there really isn't anywhere else to go, which people seem to be just fine with.  It's so exciting, isn't it?? :)

(p.s. I have to ask, as I never figured out after lurking - what is "AW"?)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KateJ16 said:

@phira, that sounds great!  The fireplaces sound awesome - I feel like that would give it an elegant yet cozy feeling.  I understand the concern about guests - but honestly, isn't that most weddings if the weather is bad?  You can go to a different room (i.e. bathroom or bar), but a lot of times there really isn't anywhere else to go, which people seem to be just fine with.  It's so exciting, isn't it?? :)

Attention Whore

• @minskat30 -Thank you! The interview went well but it was more of a networking discussion than an interview which I figured out about half way through. Oh well...I know a recruiter when I see one. So I have another interview with another company planned for mid-October so hopefully this one is for real and not some way for the other person just to make a commission off of me.
  • KateJ16 said:

@phira, that sounds great!  The fireplaces sound awesome - I feel like that would give it an elegant yet cozy feeling.  I understand the concern about guests - but honestly, isn't that most weddings if the weather is bad?  You can go to a different room (i.e. bathroom or bar), but a lot of times there really isn't anywhere else to go, which people seem to be just fine with.  It's so exciting, isn't it?? :)

That's what I keep telling my partner. I point out to him that at my brother's wedding, I stayed in the main room the whole time, and was either getting drinks at the bar, going to the bathroom, sitting at the table, or dancing. It was nice to have a gallery level at that venue, but plenty of people took "breaks" just by chilling at a table. I also point out that if we were getting married at a hotel, we'd be just as trapped in the ballroom!

And yeah, Swazzle beat me to it, but it's attention whoring.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards