October 2013 Weddings

Audio at the Wedding (for exchanging vows)

I recently attended a wedding where I could not hear the bride and groom exchange vows at all.  (Apparently, this happens a lot at weddings.)  The only person I heard at the pulpit was the pastor.  To avoid that same situation at our wedding, I decided to have my fiance wear a lapel microphone.  The pastor will be wearing one as well.  Because my dress is strapless and fitted (it's a mermaid gown) it will not be possible for me to wear the same type of microphone.  I was told that neither the pastor's nor my fiance's lapel mic will pick up my voice, so I will either have to hold a wireless microphone, or have someone else hold it for me as I speak.  For obvious reasons, I do not intend on holding the microphone myself, but if the pastor holds the microphone for me, there will be issues with feedback.  Help!  I don't know what to do!  What is everyone else doing with respect to this issue?

Re: Audio at the Wedding (for exchanging vows)

• we are in the middle of a similar situation... what about a mic stand to share? although i myself don't really care for the idea of a mic stand when it comes to pictures, i am less concerned with that than of not hearing our vows...especially since we wrote them ourselves. Unless the videographer is wired directly into the mic, they will only hear what the guests hear. I can get over seeing a mic stand in a picture, but i'm sure i would regret not having it if i cant hear the vows on the video. 

if you come up with any other options let me know!

good luck
  • Thanks @kmcgann312!  I'm talking to the audio guy at my venue today to try to come up with a solution.  He had previously mentioned the idea of having a mic stand between us, but I'm not sure if I like that idea.  It will be very awkward to have a microphone between us as we're holding hands, facing each other.  Ugh!  And I completely forgot about the videographers!  Maybe I'll ask them for their advice.  I'll keep you posted.
  • Thanks @kmcgann312!  I'm talking to the audio guy at my venue today to try to come up with a solution.  He had previously mentioned the idea of having a mic stand between us, but I'm not sure if I like that idea.  It will be very awkward to have a microphone between us as we're holding hands, facing each other.  Ugh!  And I completely forgot about the videographers!  Maybe I'll ask them for their advice.  I'll keep you posted.
  • please do! the whole "holding hands" thing is going to be tricky...hadn't thought about that... we're doing the hands ceremony as one of our readings so i need to figure something out ASAP

the audio is so tricky! for us, one reading is at the altar (hands ceremony), one reading will be on the grooms side, and a song is being sung by a bridesmaid on my side... no clue how we are going to handle this...
  • The audio guy should be able to run the mic hot enough that it would pick up both your voices without having the feedback.  So the mic stand would be to the side of the two of you.  As long as you speak up and clearly you should be okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • i didnt even think about this but im pretty sure at this point i am not worried about it... i cant add anymore to my list! i'll just have to speak loud!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was told that either that Pastor's mic or the mic on FI will pick me up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I talked to the audio guy at my venue and he was adamant that the lapel mics on my fiance and the pastor would not pick up my voice, which is why he suggested having a handheld mic for me.  It sounds completely ridiculous that their mics wouldn't pic up my voice.  The videographer said that if I spoke up, then everyone should be able to hear me, so at this point, I don't know who to believe.  I've asked the videographer to call the audio guy at the venue to try to figure things out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards