Chit Chat

Bridal related salespeople, stylists, etc--pet peeve

I am a 50+ bride, for the first time. My pet peeve are all the bridal related salespeople, hair stylists, makeup artists, etc. who can't seem to say anything but "it's beautiful", or "you look beautiful" to any dress you try on, or hair style they put on you, etc. I just wish someone would give me an honest opinion, without being overly concerned with not closing the deal. I went to a bridal shop and tried on dresses. The saleswoman said the same thing after each dress. It was NOT true. I got tired of hearing this. I just wanted someone to stay, "no, that one isn't working, let's try something else". I found this to be the case no matter what shop I went to. I went to a makeup artist and hair stylist to do some "trials". The first look--I kid you not--I ended up looking like Amy Winehouse. Teased pouf, long tail in the back, overly smoking eyes. Again, "you look beautiful!" C'mon, people, you are being ridiculous! Get on down to Lens Crafters for an eye exam! So, they tried another look. My hair looked like someone a judge would wear in 1776. Big macaroni curls, not combed out. "Oh, you look beautiful". No, no, no, I don't. I look ridiculous. Anyone else had similar things happen?

Re: Bridal related salespeople, stylists, etc--pet peeve

• I am a 50+ bride, for the first time. My pet peeve are all the bridal related salespeople, hair stylists, makeup artists, etc. who can't seem to say anything but "it's beautiful", or "you look beautiful" to any dress you try on, or hair style they put on you, etc. I just wish someone would give me an honest opinion, without being overly concerned with not closing the deal. I went to a bridal shop and tried on dresses. The saleswoman said the same thing after each dress. It was NOT true. I got tired of hearing this. I just wanted someone to stay, "no, that one isn't working, let's try something else". I found this to be the case no matter what shop I went to. I went to a makeup artist and hair stylist to do some "trials". The first look--I kid you not--I ended up looking like Amy Winehouse. Teased pouf, long tail in the back, overly smoking eyes. Again, "you look beautiful!" C'mon, people, you are being ridiculous! Get on down to Lens Crafters for an eye exam! So, they tried another look. My hair looked like someone a judge would wear in 1776. Big macaroni curls, not combed out. "Oh, you look beautiful". No, no, no, I don't. I look ridiculous. Anyone else had similar things happen?

That's why you take someone (friend, sister) to your appointments who will be honest with you.

Not simply sitting there alone listening to the blabberings of a vendor who just wants your money.

Do you think brides would go back to them if they said "Oh, gosh, this dress looks foul on you!"

No, probably not. They're there to boost you ego so you spend your moola.

• melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2013
    I am a 50+ bride, for the first time. My pet peeve are all the bridal related salespeople, hair stylists, makeup artists, etc. who can't seem to say anything but "it's beautiful", or "you look beautiful" to any dress you try on, or hair style they put on you, etc. I just wish someone would give me an honest opinion, without being overly concerned with not closing the deal. I went to a bridal shop and tried on dresses. The saleswoman said the same thing after each dress. It was NOT true. I got tired of hearing this. I just wanted someone to stay, "no, that one isn't working, let's try something else". I found this to be the case no matter what shop I went to. I went to a makeup artist and hair stylist to do some "trials". The first look--I kid you not--I ended up looking like Amy Winehouse. Teased pouf, long tail in the back, overly smoking eyes. Again, "you look beautiful!" C'mon, people, you are being ridiculous! Get on down to Lens Crafters for an eye exam! So, they tried another look. My hair looked like someone a judge would wear in 1776. Big macaroni curls, not combed out. "Oh, you look beautiful". No, no, no, I don't. I look ridiculous. Anyone else had similar things happen?
    Don't worry age has NOTHING to do with it. They're just trying to sell the dress/style. I went to DB and literally every dress the woman was like that's so beautiful on you... There were maybe 2-3 she didn't say that.. which I think was because I already told her I thought it was hideous. Then after about 20-30 dresses at DB we went to Alfred Angelo's. I told her exactly what I was looking for in my dress and she pulled 3 dresses. In that I found my dress... but even THEN! She told me I looked stunning in the ivory, but my mom and I wanted to see the white even though not in my size. She pulls the white and my mom and I decided the white was beautiful and showed the details better. The woman who was JUST trying to sell me the ivory then changed her mind and said the white is such a better choice for my skin tone (it's tanned because of my Italian blood). Seriously.. After that my mom and I talked in the car and laughed at how she was changing her mind based on what we said.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I had a lady laugh when I said I looked like a sausage in the one dress and she said, "Well, let's say that this dress does nothing for you."
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • itzMS said:

That's why you take someone (friend, sister) to your appointments who will be honest with you.

Not simply sitting there alone listening to the blabberings of a vendor who just wants your money.

Do you think brides would go back to them if they said "Oh, gosh, this dress looks foul on you!"

No, probably not. They're there to boost you ego so you spend your moola.

This. Definitely take a friend with you that will tell you the truth!
  • When my mom and I went dress shopping I experienced the same thing EXCEPT at the place I actually bought my dress from.  The shop was actually a vintage dress shop that sold costumes as well as some old wedding dresses. One that I tried was really nice and close to what I had in mind, but the sales lady noted some things that were really helpful.  First she pointed out that the dress was handmade, and though still of great quality there were some odd things about some of the way certain parts were put together.  She started tucking and gathering bits with her hand saying "It is pretty but see, doesn't this look a lot better like this...you could probably get a seamstress to alter these, but it may not be worth it".  Once she pointed these things out I realized that the dress really wasn't as awesome as it could be, so I was really glad for her honesty.  When I tried on the one that I chose, the she was then very enthusiastic about it being beautiful and being very flattering for my figure. The others she said were nice, but didn't overdo it, so I could tell that her reactions were honest one.  She also mostly left us alone except for helping us pull dresses that were hard to get to, so we weren't pressured to try stuff we had no interest in and she didn't  stand there commenting on EVERY thing I tried. It was a really great experience. I wish all the salespeople I've worked with could have been like that. 
  • I had the same thing happen! The worst was actually when I found the dress. We found it on the discontinued rack at DB. I'd been in before but somehow nobody pointed me towards those dresses *hmmm*...

My friend and I dodged the sales associate and were looking for some fun stuff and my friend found my dress for me. Well, actually it was a size 4 (which I am NOT) but then we found it in my size. I knew it was my dress so we threw in a couple randoms that made us giggle. I looked like a jellyfish in one of them and the sales associate just kept saying I looked great. *rolls eyes* No, I looked like an overweight sea creature blob, but thank you anyway.
  • I personally hate:
    1) when sales people say "your special day" , it seems forced and fake
    2) the comment "oh your ring is blinding!" Do I love my ring absolutely, it is perfect for me. Is it blinding, no
    3) When meeting with potential vendors for 30 min at Starbucks, the need to hug afterwards. We are talking about me giving you 3K, do the job we are talking about and I might hug you later, I am happy to shake on it for now.
    Its part of the industry I am sure, but we are grown ups, we can be real with each other, yes?
  • I personally hate:
    1) when sales people say "your special day" , it seems forced and fake
    2) the comment "oh your ring is blinding!" Do I love my ring absolutely, it is perfect for me. Is it blinding, no
    3) When meeting with potential vendors for 30 min at Starbucks, the need to hug afterwards. We are talking about me giving you 3K, do the job we are talking about and I might hug you later, I am happy to shake on it for now.
    Its part of the industry I am sure, but we are grown ups, we can be real with each other, yes?
    Yes to all this.  Especially the hugging.  The only people I hug are my family and friends.  A friend is doing our catering and giving us a really good deal, yet once we concluded our meeting and gave him the check, we still shook on it..a hug would have been weird.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards