Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Should I pay to have my bridesmaids hair done?

Hi all! I'm wondering if I should pay to have my wedding party's hair done. It will end up being 12 people and about $1,000. Some of the girls said they wanted to pay to have their hair done but others said no. Is it worth it to have everyone do their hair professionally? Will it make a difference in the pictures? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Should I pay to have my bridesmaids hair done?

• If you are going to make them get their hair done then yes you have to pay. If you just want the girls to get ready with you then you can tell them what salon you will be at if they want to book an appointment. Some will and some won't so you won't have all your girls with you, but you won't have to pay either.
  • If you are requiring them to get their hair done or in a certain way beyond what they can do themselves then you should pay.

It's up to you on if you care how their hair looks. I was in a wedding where one girl said she could do her own hair. She did not use enough hairspray for her updo you can see her frizz everywhere. If that would bother you then I would consider paying
  • I definitely would pay if I asked them all to do their hair...I'm just wondering if it makes a difference.  Did any of you notice a difference in your photos if the girls didn't have their hair done professionally?  I know they will all look good, I'm just wondering if the extra money will be worth it.
  • My wedding isn't until May, but I'm paying for all of my girls to get their hair and nails done the day of the wedding. It's not for looks in the photos though. It's because we want to spend that time together just us girls relaxing and chatting before the wedding. It will be fun and they will deserve a little pampering so that is worth it to me.

• I paid for hair and makeup for my bridesmaids. Only because I wanted to (they had the option to decline, of course).

I wouldn't say it made the pictures look any better per se...but it made them all feel great.

• I'm paying for my BMs make-up, they are on their on for the hair!
  • I didn't require it. One of my BM has a pixie cut and there isn't anything a professional could do to her hair that she couldn't do herself at home, so why waste the money. Another BM wanted to wear her hair in simple low bun (which she does often), again why waste money since it's a style she was comfortable with doing with good results. I had sent out emails to all the women (including the moms) to let them know where I was getting my hair done and what the prices were & asked if anyone wanted me to book an appointment/stylist for them to have their hair done professionally. One of my girls jumped at the chance becuase she didn't have a regular stylist to go to. Based on who told me that they wanted to go, I reserved spots for them & they paid for their do, some got blow outs others got half up dos. But their styles stayed all day long and I think it was because of the better products . It worked out well and everyone looked great. I would have loved to pay for it all, but it wasn't in my budget.

I think just offering a place for them to go in case they don't have a regular place is a nice thing to do, just let them know what the prices are up front so then they will know you aren't paying for it.

• I gave my party the choice of whether to have their hair and make-up done.  I am not paying.  They all opted to do makeup, and 3 our of 4 opted to have hair done.  Like Erikan, I have one BM who has very short hair, so it didn't make sense for her to spend that money.  We are a bit older and can all afford our own things, so no one expects me to pay for stuff like that.  We are all getting our mani-pedis the day before the wedding as well, and I am not paying for that either.  I asked them if they wanted to join me, and they all said yes.
  • I am not paying for both. Plus where we are going no too expensive.

• I think it depends on the stylists.  I've been to a wedding where it was obvious the same person did all the bridesmaids hair because it was crunchy looking ringlets that were old school prom.  If you have many bridesmaids, one stylist won't have time to do all of them.  So be sure you know who is doing the hair with your stylist, and what his/her vision is so that you don't end up with prom updo explosion.
  • I agree with SAHoehle. I've also been a bridesmaid before where it looked like three of us had the same hairstyle! Looked kinda silly. 

I also think that not having your hair professionally done looks obvious in photos, even if it's just a bun, because of the flyaways. You could always offer to pay for the hair and makeup for all of the bridesmaids, in lieu of bridesmaid gifts. One friend paid for my bridesmaid dress as a gift, because I was in grad school at the time. I definitely appreciated the gesture, so that I could still be in her bridal party without having to stress over the money. 
  • I'm paying for my bridesmaids hair and setting up a great deal for them if they chose to get their makeup done. I'm paying for both for my MOH's hair and makeup since she does alot of work with planning. I'm also paying for my mom and hubby's mom to get their hair done as a nice gesture.
  • If you are requiring that they have their hair professionally done, then yes, you must pay for it.  However, if you are giving them the option to do their own, then you can provide pricing information with your stylist and let them decide to either use your stylist, choose their own, or do their own hair.

In any case, I'd highly advise against requiring a certain style for all your BMs.  It looks very "Stepford Wives" to have everyone matching exactly.
  • Lyssa321 said:
    Hi all! I'm wondering if I should pay to have my wedding party's hair done. It will end up being 12 people and about $1,000. Some of the girls said they wanted to pay to have their hair done but others said no. Is it worth it to have everyone do their hair professionally? Will it make a difference in the pictures? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!
    I would think it would matter on if they are good at doing their own hair and what kind of style you wanted them to have. If you want them to all have some special up do, they may not be able to create that look themselves. But if you are okay with them doing something more simple, then I wouldn't think it would be necessary. The girls who said they wouldn't pay for their hair to be done, is that because they feel they can do the same job or because they don't want to spend the money? I am paying for my girls' hair and makeup as part of the "thank you" for being a bridesmaid, making the trip (none live in the town I am getting married), etc. I do not like up dos, so I am telling them they can do all down or half up half down... but they don't have to be exactly the same styles. Hope this helps some!
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards