October 2013 Weddings

Flowers - Rant

I met with the people who will be doing the catering and flowers for the wedding last night.  They are my friends dad and stepmom and they volunteered the moment we got engaged.  We've talked over the last year and met to finalize everything last night.  The food went easy and smooth.  The flowers were a long drawn out discussion!!!  

I LOVE gerbera daisies and wanted them as my main flower.  I did my research and they are considered a fall flower so I figured they would be readily available and fairly inexpensive.  Boy was I wrong!!!!  They are actually more expensive than roses!!!  

I took 8 pictures of ideas I liked for bouquets.  She sat there almost the entire time with her arms crossed and totally frustrated because I picked this flower.  I understand that you enjoy working with roses and are an easier flower to work with.  However, this is my wedding and I would like to have my favorite in there in some form or fashion!!!!  Not to mention that her ideas took my simple ideas, to the bouquets and centerpieces, and changed everything to be some grandiose show pieces.    

We left the meeting and I just felt like my choice was a burden for her.  I know that what she has in mind will not fit within the confines of my budget.  So I'm pretty sure that by the end of next week the flowers will have to be renegotiated.  All the excitement I felt about finishing up these item was totally diminished.  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
image 68 Yes
image 16 No
image 0 Unknown

Re: Flowers - Rant

• That sucks. Sorry to hear that - we are using gerber daisies as well.  They will be mixed with roses and hydrangea (and some other flowers that I can't think of at this moment)

I wasn't worried about price per flower, but just talked overall flower concepts with her in the beginning. Is there anyway you can mix the gerber daisies with other flowers as well? Sunflowers are also in season (I believe) and could also look good with the gerber daisies.

It sucks that she tried to overtake your vision - we didn't want large centerpieces either, but our florist is going to make a gerber daisy/hydrangea/rose mixture in a bubble vase for $45 a table. 

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• That sucks. I had a picture in my head of what I wanted and it was WAY more than our budget would allow. Luckily we were able to find something else we liked that was within our budget. Hope it all works out. 
  • @Sew ~ They will be mixed with other flowers.  I've attached a picture of what we finally agreed upon.  Still more than what I had envisioned but still really beautiful.  I really wanted smaller for my ladies but she is insisting on 15-20 blooms on each bouquet and centerpieces.  I think 10 is more than enough for my ladies and the centerpieces.  So once they come back with a price next week I will mention that.  Or even using mini gerberas.  I know they are less expensive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • We are using bright orange Gerbers! They are my favorite flower as well! They will be mixed with baby's breath. I'm glad you finally figured out the flower situation even though it may not be exactly what you wanted. But they should be working with you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Those are really pretty. I actually am a fan of semi-large flowers for bridesmaids. They will appear in many pictures, and you don't want the flowers to look sparse. Going big for them fills out the photographs nicely and can be really attractive.

What color gerber daisies? We went with pinks (and the bridesmaid dresses are aqua)

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• @Sew ~ My ladies are wearing black dresses so I went with yellow, orange and reds.  Each of them will be strictly one color and the guys will have the corresponding color bout.  Mine will incorporate all three colors.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • That will be awesome! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Sew ~ My ladies are wearing black dresses so I went with yellow, orange and reds.  Each of them will be strictly one color and the guys will have the corresponding color bout.  Mine will incorporate all three colors.  
    Sounds really pretty!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• She told you they were more expensive than roses? Really? Our florist told us Gerberas were in season and were cheaper.

My BMs bouquets, the GMs boutonnieres, the RB boutonnieres, and the altar flowers are almost EXCLUSIVELY Gerberas or Gerbera minis. My bouquet is different, as is FI's boutonniere. 

For four bouquets, five GM boutonnieres, two RB boutonnieres, five corsages, and three-foot-tall altar flowers, our total bill was $500, including set-up and delivery.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • @hisgirlfriday13 ~ When I started my research, months ago, I knew I wanted these flowers but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be asking for something out of season.  Gerberas are a fall flower so I was thinking that this was great!  Doing some research on the internet, at wholesale online florist, they are slightly more expensive.  

We will see what she comes back with as an estimate next week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards