Chit Chat

Wedding prep book suggestions?

When I was single and dating, I read quite a few dating books for fun (yes, even the book by the Millionaire Matchmaker on Bravo :P) Now I'm looking for wedding prep books that are helpful and also interesting to read. I just got The Conscious Bride from a friend and it's OK but there are a few eyebrow-raising moments in terms of etiquette (i.e., having a potluck to save money on food, a list of "duties" for bridesmaids/groomsmen...).

Any suggestions? TK has been great, but I do like taking a break from the screen and curling up with a book and some tea. I'm pretty much looking for everything from etiquette and planning, to mental and emotional preparation--especially books that address several different issues. I'm also open to any creative nonfiction books, essay collections, or humorous wedding story books.

Have you read anything you enjoyed recently or that was generally helpful? Or anything you were disappointed with?

Re: Wedding prep book suggestions?

• I bought a ton of magazines when I got engaged, and continued to buy when new issues came out for a few months.
    (It's a hard habit to break!)
    I found a book at goodwill, but I never really read it. All of my planning, beyond ripping out pictures of what I like has been online, the checklist here is my organizer and everything. 
    You might want to just go to a brick and mortar bookstore and look around. The last time I was in a physical Barnes & Noble, they had a ton of wedding planning books, many of which had planners built into them and everything. 

Anniversary
  • Please ignore the misspelling above. It's early and I have only had two cups of coffee.  I wish the edit button would work for me.
  • I really, really like A Practical Wedding, both the book and the blog. The book is more useful for the actual wedding planning, but the website (especially the "Reclaiming Wife" section) gets into a lot of the philosophical issues and more difficult stuff about commitment.
  • emmyg65 said:
    I really, really like A Practical Wedding, both the book and the blog. The book is more useful for the actual wedding planning, but the website (especially the "Reclaiming Wife" section) gets into a lot of the philosophical issues and more difficult stuff about commitment.

Ah, yes, I was looking at A Practical Wedding when we were first brainstorming venue ideas, but then I forgot about it once our venue was booked--thanks for the reminder!
  • Please ignore the misspelling above. It's early and I have only had two cups of coffee.  I wish the edit button would work for me.

Hah, I hear ya! Thanks, and I will check it out.

• chibiyui said:
    I bought a ton of magazines when I got engaged, and continued to buy when new issues came out for a few months.
    (It's a hard habit to break!)
    I found a book at goodwill, but I never really read it. All of my planning, beyond ripping out pictures of what I like has been online, the checklist here is my organizer and everything. 
    You might want to just go to a brick and mortar bookstore and look around. The last time I was in a physical Barnes & Noble, they had a ton of wedding planning books, many of which had planners built into them and everything. 

Brick and mortar bookstores still exist?? I always forget about them until December when I'm Christmas-shopping because Amazon is just so easy :P

• I only read one wedding book other than blogs, called "Take Back Your Wedding" by a family psychologist and his daughter. It is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS. It is less about planning and more about understanding and working with your families in planning and executing the wedding and setting the stage for good relationships in the future. Read it twice. Might read it again.

Thanks :) This looks like just the type of thing I was looking for!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards