Attire & Accessories Forum

preownedweddingdresses.com

Has anyone bought their gown from this website? I found my dream gown as a sample sale from a bridal salon in another state for about 60% off retail cost. I'm pretty excited about the deal, but wanted to find out others experiences before putting out my credit card.
Was the information reliable? Would you recommend going this route vs. just paying full cost from a local salon for the security of knowing you're getting what you ordered? Has anyone had any bad experiences with them?

Re: preownedweddingdresses.com

• Preownedweddingdresses.com is not a retailer website, it's just a website for brides or salon (in your case) to post wedding dresses/accessories for sale. If you use credit card, I would recommend using paypal together for the extra security and protection. 

• The seller says they only accept payment through pay pal. Is that an indication they are a legitimate business? I have read horror stories of brides being scammed by these Chinese websites, so I think I'm just nervous about that.
  • I bought my gown from an individual on the site, and had a great experience. Have you tried looking up the salon? If they're legitimate you should be able to find a website, or at least a Facebook or Yelp! page.
  • Ask him/her where they are from and what it will be ship via. If it's DHL, there's a high chance this is a Chinese seller. Transit time and where it is shipping from will also give you more insight as well. I do agree with hnkirk81 that you should able to google the company (try yellow page too) if it's a legit company.
  • I was previously engaged and our wedding was called off.  I sold my original wedding dress on that site.  I also have multiple other friends who have bought dresses off the site in hopes of saving a few dollars on their dream dress.  Now, that I am engage again I plan on trying to find a dress to purchase off that or similar sites as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The seller says they only accept payment through pay pal. Is that an indication they are a legitimate business? I have read horror stories of brides being scammed by these Chinese websites, so I think I'm just nervous about that.
    You are generally protected if you use PayPal and even more so Escrow.com - I would NOT use a credit card or especially a check - you'd have no way of getting that money back if it were a scam. 

With PayPal/Escrow.com, your money will not be released to the seller until you confirm that you have received the gown. And if the gown ends up not being what was advertised, you can file a dispute through either company and get your money back. 
  • Reason I said credit card because paypal usually doesn't fight against credit card charge back. Also Paypal doesn't hold the funds unless the transaction is from eBay. If it is from eBay and the seller is new, there will be 21 days hold. Escrow service I am not very familiar with.  
  • OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    rainyelel said:
    Reason I said credit card because paypal usually doesn't fight against credit card charge back. Also Paypal doesn't hold the funds unless the transaction is from eBay. If it is from eBay and the seller is new, there will be 21 days hold. Escrow service I am not very familiar with.  
    Ah - good info - Escrow.com does seem the most secure (I'm in the process of trying to sell a gown on preownedweddingdresses.com right now) - how the escrow service works is that both the buyer and seller set up an account - the buyer transfers the money to escrow, at which point the seller ships. Once the buyer receives the gown, they confirm it meets the description/conditions/etc., and at that point the money is transferred to the sellers bank account. (So this protects the buyer). The seller is also protected, however - if the buyer decides to return the dress for whatever reason (or if an unscrupulous person were to wear it, then claim they didn't and try to return it), the seller must also must confirm the dress was returned in its original condition before the funds are released back to the buyer. 

FWIW, I decided to only use Escrow.com to sell my dress. 

Edited for typos. 

You can check with your credit card company on this.  I have a platinum visa through BB&T and it has excellent fraud protection.  If there is a problem I just dispute the charge and the money gets refunded very quickly.  I once had to dispute a charge with paypal and it took about 30 days for them to refund my money.  If you buy through paypal make sure that you are using a credit card that has additional protection. 
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • rainyelel said:
    Reason I said credit card because paypal usually doesn't fight against credit card charge back. Also Paypal doesn't hold the funds unless the transaction is from eBay. If it is from eBay and the seller is new, there will be 21 days hold. Escrow service I am not very familiar with.  
    Ah - good info - Escrow.com does seem the most secure (I'm in the process of trying to sell a gown on preownedweddingdresses.com right now) - how the escrow service works is that both the buyer and seller set up an account - the buyer transfers the money to escrow, at which point the seller ships. Once the buyer receives the gown, they confirm it meets the description/conditions/etc., and at that point the money is transferred to the sellers bank account. (So this protects the buyer). The seller is also protected, however - if the buyer decides to return the dress for whatever reason (or if an unscrupulous person were to wear it, then claim they didn't and try to return it), the seller must also must confirm the dress was returned in its original condition before the funds are released back to the buyer. 

FWIW, I decided to only use Escrow.com to sell my dress. 

Edited for typos. 
    Thanks for the info! I will keep that in mind in the future too :)
  • I took everyone's advice. I was able to locate the physical salon in Michigan. I emailed the seller and asked her many questions. She answered them all, and emailed me additional photos of the dress. She also linked her webpage and facebook to her email. I felt pretty confident, so I did pay her with my credit card through paypal. She emailed me this afternoon to confirm my shipping address and said I should receive my dress in the next 3-5 business days.
    Please keep your fingers crossed for me this is the dress as advertised! I think at this point it would break my heart if it wasn't.
  • I took everyone's advice. I was able to locate the physical salon in Michigan. I emailed the seller and asked her many questions. She answered them all, and emailed me additional photos of the dress. She also linked her webpage and facebook to her email. I felt pretty confident, so I did pay her with my credit card through paypal. She emailed me this afternoon to confirm my shipping address and said I should receive my dress in the next 3-5 business days.
    Please keep your fingers crossed for me this is the dress as advertised! I think at this point it would break my heart if it wasn't.
    Yay! Congratulations!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards