Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Question About Feeding the Vendors

We have two options for entrees for our guests, and then an additional option for children.  I've read about how sometimes they may offer something different for vendors to eat, and I asked my caterer/venue and they said we could serve the vendors the kid's meals if we wanted.  It seemed a bit unusual to them though.

I don't know if our photographers and DJ will really have a chance for a sit-down meal like the rest of the guests will have.  Would it be okay to serve them the kids meals, or should we go ahead and give them the regular entrees like everyone else will have?  The kids meals will be something like chicken tenders and green beans, and such - $18 (after tax, tip, etc.), adult entrees will be about $33.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question About Feeding the Vendors

• If I were an adult and you gave me a kids meal instead of the adult meal I would be a bit put off and I would feel that you were cheaping out.

Your DJ and photographer will both have time to sit and eat while you and your guests are sitting and eating.  The DJ will most likely sit at his booth and the photographer will sit wherever your venue usually places wedding vendors.  I know that my vendors both had a nice 30 minute break to eat something.

I would contact both your DJ and photog and ask them which adult entree they would like and then speak with your venue about where vendors usually sit to eat.

• MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment

If I were an adult and you gave me a kids meal instead of the adult meal I would be a bit put off and I would feel that you were cheaping out.

Your DJ and photographer will both have time to sit and eat while you and your guests are sitting and eating.  The DJ will most likely sit at his booth and the photographer will sit wherever your venue usually places wedding vendors.  I know that my vendors both had a nice 30 minute break to eat something.

I would contact both your DJ and photog and ask them which adult entree they would like and then speak with your venue about where vendors usually sit to eat.

Thanks!  I think most other weddings I have been to had buffets, so it was more open, and people could just eat what they wanted.  So I haven't really been to a wedding with a reception set up like mine.  I've also not been to many weddings - feeling pretty clueless! 

As much as I've tried to read, there just doesn't see to be one thing with all the answers :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I personally think you should feed them the same meal as all other adults.
  • adult meals 
  • Definitely the adult meals - and as one PP said, I would give them the options just like you do your guests, so that they can pick something they will enjoy. 
  • MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I think I was just curious because something I read on The Knot (like an article or Q&A) mentioned having different meals for the vendors.  I was wondering if this was common.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My venue has a vendors' meal plan (sandwiches) but I'm serving my DJ and my photog from the main menu. 
  • My venue has a vendors' meal plan (sandwiches) but I'm serving my DJ and my photog from the main menu. 
  • They're adults, serve them adult food and portions.
  • Yes sometimes there is a vendor meal, or a venue gives you a price break on food for vendors. But give your vendors an adult meal. My photographers sat and ate for about 20 minutes-it's not like you are going to want photos of guests stuffing salad down the hatch. They won't miss anything.
  • Um I with everybody else, serve them an adult meal. I'm setting up a smaller (6 top) vendor table so that when we seat to eat, they can seat to eat too. I don't want pictures of people eating so that will be a down time for my photog. And I'm going to ask my dj to creat a playlist of music to play softly in the background while we eat so there's no white sound in the air, but people aren't screaming over music. He'll be able to sit too if he makes it about 45 minutes long. Same for the coordinator, the video guy and the violinist. My officiate is a family friend, so he and his wife will sit at the bigger guest tables.
  • Our photographer will take a dinner break when we sit down for dinner.  She'll be able to order off of the vendor menu in the restaurant's lounge.  We have one live guitarist for the cocktail hour &  a different band that starts after dinner  so she's the only one we need to feed.
  • snippet17 said:
    Another vote to give them an adult meal.  Maybe your caterer will give you a discount cost for the vendors.  I know my venue charges only $30 per person for vendors.  

This is exactly what our caterer offered.  Our vendors enjoyed the exact same meal as our guests but the cost was reduced to account for the non-alcohol usage.  We emailed our vendors ahead of time to ask what their entree option would be and passed that information along to our caterer.
  • Our venue offers a vendor meal which I think is different. But I have heard from our photographer that our venue has the best vendor meals. So that is good to hear! 
  • Our venue also offers a vendor meal or to feed them same as other adults. Your vendors will be doing a lot of work and the regular meal is a good way to show your appreciation of their efforts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards