Wedding Etiquette Forum

RIP Etiquette.....Miss Manners

MobKazMobKaz member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Sometimes there truly are no words.......and it makes me wonder...are some of the posts we assume MUST be MUD because they are so far fetched and outlandish merely a sign of the times??

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I thought I had seen everything, but recently we received a wedding invitation via Facebook.

If that was not bad enough, it turns out that the wedding couple, both musicians, decided to have the ceremony in the context of a concert performance by them. The invitation indicated that because they have decided to rent a concert hall, in lieu of buying a gift, we would be required to buy a ticket to help defray the costs of the performance.

Again, because of financial restrictions, we were instructed that we could order food and beverages off a menu at our own expense, but cupcakes would be provided for dessert.

Last week we received yet another online notification indicating if we could not attend, we may choose to donate at various levels toward the couple’s honeymoon. Depending on what amount we gave, the gift giver would be given a variety of different “thank you” responses from the couple.

I realize that times are changing, but we were flabbergasted by an invitation like this. While I don’t expect people to go into great debt to throw an extravagant wedding reception, it also doesn’t feel appropriate for guests to foot the bill.

We paid for our own simple but elegant wedding and reception, and kept it within a budget we could afford. I should add the couple are middle-age, so I would think they would know better. Any thoughts on this?

GENTLE READER: Who are these musicians? Franz Liszt and Nellie Melba?

Even then, the price would be rather steep. Especially as you are expected to bring your own Peach Melba.

Because of the deft touch about different levels of thanks, Miss Manners will do this couple the courtesy of assuming that they meant it all as a joke. However, she feels obliged to warn them not to hope to make a living as comedians.

Re: RIP Etiquette.....Miss Manners

• Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2013
    mobkaz said:
    Sometimes there truly are no words.......and it makes me wonder...are some of the posts we assume MUST be MUD because they are so far fetched and outlandish merely a sign of the times??

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I thought I had seen everything, but recently we received a wedding invitation via Facebook.

If that was not bad enough, it turns out that the wedding couple, both musicians, decided to have the ceremony in the context of a concert performance by them. The invitation indicated that because they have decided to rent a concert hall, in lieu of buying a gift, we would be required to buy a ticket to help defray the costs of the performance.

Again, because of financial restrictions, we were instructed that we could order food and beverages off a menu at our own expense, but cupcakes would be provided for dessert.

Last week we received yet another online notification indicating if we could not attend, we may choose to donate at various levels toward the couple’s honeymoon. Depending on what amount we gave, the gift giver would be given a variety of different “thank you” responses from the couple.

I realize that times are changing, but we were flabbergasted by an invitation like this. While I don’t expect people to go into great debt to throw an extravagant wedding reception, it also doesn’t feel appropriate for guests to foot the bill.

We paid for our own simple but elegant wedding and reception, and kept it within a budget we could afford. I should add the couple are middle-age, so I would think they would know better. Any thoughts on this?

Even then, the price would be rather steep. Especially as you are expected to bring your own Peach Melba.

Because of the deft touch about different levels of thanks, Miss Manners will do this couple the courtesy of assuming that they meant it all as a joke. However, she feels obliged to warn them not to hope to make a living as comedians.

My last hope for humanity.

Incidentally, I thought this post was about Miss Manners' passing, lol! Glad to see it's just another sh*t storm from etiquette hell.

P.S.- I do not see this as a sign of the times. I think the Internet, though used by millions, is still only representative of a small cross section of people. Their rudeness is magnified.
  • missax said:
    Is it wrong that I hope no one attends their wedding?
    Haha no, I was thinking the same thing.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    Blue_Bird said:
    mobkaz said:

My last hope for humanity.

Incidentally, I thought this post was about Miss Manners' passing, lol! Glad to see it's just another sh*t storm from etiquette hell.

P.S.- I do not see this as a sign of the times. I think the Internet, though used by millions, is still only representative of a small cross section of people. Their rudeness is magnified.
    I am going to take your positivity and logic and run with it!
  • Wait..you mean to tell me its not okay to have guests pay for their portion of the wedding? Even though the couple is giving them the huge honor of allowing them to attend their wedding?! 

/sarcasm

I really wish I knew this couple personally so I could watch this shit show unfold. Is that bad? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards