Attire & Accessories Forum

On the day of your wedding, do you wear your engagement ring?

I've read several opinions on this topic, but is there a "right" way? I will be getting a wedding band, and I know you're supposed to wear that on bottom and the engagement ring on top. How does this work out on your wedding day?
Savanna

Re: On the day of your wedding, do you wear your engagement ring?

• There isn't a hard and fast rule. Instead, there are lots of ways to do this.

Option 1: Wear your e-ring on your right hand for the ceremony. Move it back to your left afterwards (before pictures and reception).

Option 2: Wear your e-ring on your left hand and have your husband put the wedding band over top of it. After the ceremony, take them off and switch them.

Option 3: Don't wear your e-ring at all. Leave it somewhere safe or have your MOH hold on to it for you during the ceremony.

Most brides I know have gone option 1 or 2, since very few brides probably want to take their e-ring off altogether. I slipped mine off and moved it on to my right hand partway through the ceremony, so that it wasn't in the way for the exchange of wedding bands.

• allispain said:
    There isn't a hard and fast rule. Instead, there are lots of ways to do this.

Option 1: Wear your e-ring on your right hand for the ceremony. Move it back to your left afterwards (before pictures and reception).

Option 2: Wear your e-ring on your left hand and have your husband put the wedding band over top of it. After the ceremony, take them off and switch them.

Option 3: Don't wear your e-ring at all. Leave it somewhere safe or have your MOH hold on to it for you during the ceremony.

Most brides I know have gone option 1 or 2, since very few brides probably want to take their e-ring off altogether. I slipped mine off and moved it on to my right hand partway through the ceremony, so that it wasn't in the way for the exchange of wedding bands.
    Option 4: Don't wear your engagement ring on your way into the ceremony.  Have the groom put on the engagement ring and wedding band during the ceremony.
  • I wore mine on my left hand for the ceremony; husband placed the band on top, and then I just switched them after the ceremony before we took pictures (so opt 2 above). 

Either way any of the options above would work--there is no right or wrong.

Anniversary
  • I wore mine like I always do and switched after the ceremony.
  •  My plan was to wear my engagement ring on my right hand, then switch it after our ceremony. Unfortunately, my ring was too snug on my other hand. I gave my engagement ring to my MOH instead, & she gave it to me right after the ceremony to put on. :)

*J
  • Mine wouldn't fit on my right hand so my MOH wore it during the ceremony & then gave it back to me afterwards so I could show off both the rest of the day.
  • Mine is too snug on my right hand too. Thank you all for the input!
    Savanna
  • I was literally thinking this yesterday and couldn't get TK to launch on my mobile! I asked one of my friends what she did, but her e-ring and wedding band are one piece after she had them sized, so she was no help.

I was thinking I would put it on my right hand for the ceremony, but I'm not sure I will be able to.  I tried it today for a while, but it just felt so WEIRD... I was twisting and playing with it for like 45 minutes.  I don't want to be doing this without thinking during the ceremony, so I am wondering about just leaving it on and switching them around after.
  • I will note, I actually wore mine on my pinky finger on my right hand, because it wouldn't fit my ring finger...
  • I like the idea of him putting both rings on me for the ceremony. I also like the idea of putting the band on top and just switching them around later when I get a chance.
    Savanna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards