Chit Chat

How did you meet your FH?

I'd love to hear everyone's stories!

I met my FH about 17 years ago. We both went to the same youth group. I don't remember much about him - I knew his brother better - other than he was the weird guy that did flips, lol. Almost 6 months ago we reconnected via FB and now we're getting married in 11 days!

Everyone else?

Re: How did you meet your FH?

• Well, I don't have a FH yet, but I met BF of 6 years on Myspace... yeah.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I saw an online profile of a guy who looked like he was kinda related to Tim Curry.  That intrigued me enough to message him.

We didn't date right away because I was busy dumping another guy I'd met online.  Straight up Disney :)
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d2d95fb-08ba-4ca5-b92e-feed1f4a2cc4Post:08f26ba9-e6a7-4f22-a77c-ab1e84b34a75">How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd love to hear everyone's stories! I met my FH about 17 years ago. We both went to the same youth group. I don't remember much about him - I knew his brother better - other than he was the weird guy that did flips, lol. Almost 6 months ago we reconnected via FB and now we're getting married in 11 days! Everyone else?
    Posted by lauraandjosh040613[/QUOTE]

<div>We met in a class in college. It was an elective for both of us, so it was pretty fate-like. I had this habit of trying to spot a cute boy in every class to daydream about when lectures got boring. I was starting to get a little dismayed because it was girl after girl walking in on the first day. All of a sudden, in walks this tall, lanky, hunk of a man and I decided that I wanted to date him. Next class, I sat next to him. A few weeks later I wrote my number in his notebook. We talked/texted/Facebooked for awhile and then went on a date. After that, it was sealed. I knew we were going to get married.</div><div>
    </div><div>And I was RIGHT so take THAT! I use that against him sometimes. He's like "You're not always right you know" and I'm like "Please, I predicted we were going to get married BEFORE YOU ASKED ME TO BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND!" Clearly I'm related to Prof. Trelawney.</div>
  • We met when we were working at church together. He was technically my boss.
  • thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    We met protesting against Scientology (hence the pic with our Guy Fawkes masks below -- we took pics with them during our engagement shoot).

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d2d95fb-08ba-4ca5-b92e-feed1f4a2cc4Post:067603ba-f3af-4f3a-9c6f-bf62508f99fa">Re: How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He clubbed me on the back of the head and then dragged me back to his cave.  I woke up and looked into his eyes and knew there'd be no escape for me.  We've been inseparable ever since.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

<div>Best.</div>
  • Drunk at a bar watching a football game, had what I thought was going to be a one night stand.  Especially after he threw up on my couch and broke my laptop charger that took me 6 weeks to get.   

4 days later we were professing our love for one another.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d2d95fb-08ba-4ca5-b92e-feed1f4a2cc4Post:067603ba-f3af-4f3a-9c6f-bf62508f99fa">Re: How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He clubbed me on the back of the head and then dragged me back to his cave.  I woke up and looked into his eyes and knew there'd be no escape for me.  We've been inseparable ever since.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

<div>LOL!!!!</div>
  • I dated his younger brother.
  • We met on Pogo Games in a game called Word Whomp.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We met on a film production we were both working on a few summers ago. It was a ridiculous movie with a lot of crazy actors and on set drama everyday. Made it easy to bond over the craziness. 

He says he knew right away that he loved me. I shut him down at first and told him we were only going to be friends. He says he didn't care if that ended up being true because he just wanted us to be in each other's lives. But he jokes that he knew he'd eventually win me over... and he did! Lol, we became inseparable. And now we are counting the days till our wedding.

Anniversary
  • We met at a friend's 17th birthday party. He introduced himself, we talked, clicked, he asked if he could have a dance, we danced cheek to cheek and at midnight we kissed. That was almost 17 years ago, we've been one ever since.
  • I met FI through one of my close friends'. It was her husband's close friend and co worker.  She thought we would be a great match, so we began to hang out as a group and it went from there.  Our first group hang out was to see Avenue Q in the city, we went with a bunch of mutual friends.

Anniversary

• Aww, it's so fun to read all these stories!
  • We were in the same honors society at college. He asked me out and I shot him down :-D We later accidentally went on a date; I had planned an outing for our friends (we were in the same friends group) and everyone except FI bailed. We had our first kiss later that night and started dating. He still won't let me forget that I shot him down the first time he asked me out though.
  • I met my FI through Missed Connections. Yep, the Craigslist kind.
  • Met in the Barnes and Nobles just up the street from where we live now. He inquired as to the book I was looking at, we started talking, 2 hours later, decide to get a bite to eat. One month later (anniversary is in 20 days!) we started going steady, and now I get to be the lucky woman who marries him!
  • We met in college, my freshman year and his junior. Teeny little liberal arts college up in the mountains. He was an English major and I was Theatre, but he auditioned for shows anyway b/c he had been in some in HS and there were pitifully few men in the theatre department. We met at an audition for Shadowlands, a play about C.S. Lewis. Later that evening, we spent some 2-3 hours talking nonstop about Tolkien. I should've known then that he was the one, lol.

But he was fresh out of a 2-year relationship and his ex had immediately started dating his roommate, so plenty of baggage there. And I was enjoying having lots of guys interested in me for the first time ever, so it took another month or two for me to realize we were meant to be. We dated 4.5 years before he proposed, and got married a year after that. We will have been married for 2 years this June.
  • edited March 2013
    Mine went to college with my "then" BFF of 7 years. She had a get together for a 4th of July party at her parents cabin at the wineries in NY and he was invited. We all drank exsessive amounts of wine that night. I noticed at one point in the night that he wasn't in the room and said that maybe someone should go look for him. I got volunteered and found him out on the balcony of the top most level of the house staring out at the lake. I asked him what he was doing up here and he said he'd been thinking. The time passed quickly and we noticed we'd been up there talking for almost 2 hours! At one point we even laid down on the balcony to look at the stars and talk. Talking with him was so easy. After those few hours I said we should go inside but come to find out, when I first entered onto the balcony I had shut and mistankingly locked the door behind me. We tried texting/calling our friends but they were already passed out so we spent the night on the balcony wrapped up in each others arms.

the next day I told my friend what had happened and I told her that I thought I was seriously in love with this guy just after one night. She got mysteriously mad at me and gave me the silent treatment the rest of the weekend. Come to find out, she had a crush on him and never told anyone. But by the time she had the "you know whats" to tell me the truth, she had stopped talking to me for a month. And I never knew why.  Either way... my FI and I have been together 3 years now since then and can't wait to be married in JUNE 2013!!!!!! AHHH!! He is truly my best friend. And now I know what it means to have best friend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• rel1988rel1988 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2013
    I was visiting some friends out of town, one of them being a guy I was very casually seeing actually. Apparently FI and I had a brief convo at the bar. I have NO memory of this what-so-ever. He however can tell anyone the exact outfit I was wearing at the time.

A month later I get a weird friend request on Facebook proceeded a couple weeks after by an invite to a house party. I checked the guest list, didn't know anyone invited except for the "creep" who friend requested me.

After the local county fair in my friend's hometown a month later, I think this guy "M"  is cute so we head out for drinks afterwards in a large group of friends. I'm at the other end of the bar when FI walks in and starts talking to "M". My friends tell me that this is the Facebook creeper!! I walk over to check this guy out, and to have an excuse to talk to "M". Well the rest is history and now "M" is in our BP. We all joke now about how FI is a total creep :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here's the short story I tell family: FI and I met through mutual friends. My roommate at the time was dating his cousin. We all met up in the city for Saint Patrick's Day and I was attracted to him and his personality right off the bat.

The rest of the story: After our day of bar hopping I looked him up on myspace and kept hoping I'd see him again. Finally 5 months later we all hung out and he got my digits. We dated casually for the next few months, he didn't want to get 'serious' so I started dating other people too. One night I got really drunk at an 80s party and apparently yelled at him a lot and even slapped him in the face(because getting drunk and yelling at someone is the logical way of getting them to fall in love with you, crazy 21 year old). I lost my cell phone and leg warmers and got a pretty bad hand injury that night. I woke up and my roommates told me it was definitely over with him. He called me a few minutes later to make sure I was okay. The next day he asked me to be his Valentine and our relationship got pretty serious after that. We've been happy together ever since (5 years). I still can't figure out why in the world my FI asked me to be his Valentine after that, but it was the best day of my life up until last Valentine's Day when he proposed. :-)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was a second year undergrad, he was a first year Ph.D. student.  We worked on the same research team and, technically, met at a conference that pertained to our research.  After working together for a year and a half more, we started dating at another conference.  Two years later, we were engaged.  And now, we are counting the months until our wedding!
  • At roller derby.  I was in hot pants selling beer, he was watching the game.  A teammate then set us up when she found out he had been checking me out.  Who ever though I would join roller derby and end up with a husband!!  :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d2d95fb-08ba-4ca5-b92e-feed1f4a2cc4Post:e610fbcf-c94d-4e64-9556-1458529f2be4">Re: How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I met my FI through Missed Connections. Yep, the Craigslist kind.
    Posted by zoberg[/QUOTE]

<div>No way! PLEASE tell the story.</div><div>
    </div><div>I kind of forgot about these, but I used to love reading them. I was going to post one once. I was talking to this guy at the dog park a few years back and thought we really connected. Neither one of us asked for a number and I was convinced he was going to post one. Good thing he didn't because then I may not have met my FI.</div><div>
    </div><div>I met him through work. I was in a city where I knew few people and I had the type of sales job where the more you worked, the more money you could earn. So, that's all I did. I went to present my product in another state to a large account. He is a user of our product that also serves as an advocate. We could call him in to talk to other customers about our product. So, he was assigned to work with me at this account. We lived about 8 hours from each other so although I thought he was very handsome and liked him immediately, I didn't think it would go anywhere. He added me on Facebook, and we would post on each other's walls here and there. A few months later, he went to one of my accounts without me, and called to update me after. We stayed on the phone for hours and, after that, started talking regularly. The calls turned into visits, and 2 years later we were engaged. Six months after that, we purchased a house and finally live in the same city.</div>
  • A friend of mine told me to give all reasonable guys a shot in regards to online dating because she initially kept telling one guy to go away and eventually, she agreed to meet him and is now married to him. She said "What's the harm?" Well, there's no harm but I could probably write an entertaining book about meeting 30 guys in 2 months that includes a visit to a guy's house who's hobby is to pretend he's a Ghostbuster.

I was about to give up and take a really crazy job position an hour away that would not be conducive to having a new relationship... and then I starting talking to FI. I really liked him but I knew he was disabled so didn't think I was going to be interested in him but said what the heck? He can't be worse than the Ghostbuster. The more we talked, the more excited I was to meet him. I was supposed to just meet him for dinner but I ended up spending the night and I've been with him almost every night since over 2 years now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d2d95fb-08ba-4ca5-b92e-feed1f4a2cc4Post:209291eb-5386-44d2-9bbd-fa09e8d9cf6c">Re: How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We met on Pogo Games in a game called Word Whomp.
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

<div>I LOVED Word Whomp!</div>
    Anniversary
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d2d95fb-08ba-4ca5-b92e-feed1f4a2cc4Post:40a41e6e-6145-4495-acc0-1353978c5f19">Re: How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How did you meet your FH? : No way! PLEASE tell the story. I kind of forgot about these, but I used to love reading them. I was going to post one once.
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

I second this! Please tell us. I still read them from time to time. I think they're so sweet and romantic.

My FH and I met online when he was 12 and I was 13 on some video game message board. We were pretty angsty, nerdy teens so we bonded right away. We stayed really good online friends over the years and even flirted with the idea of being a couple (I still have emails from my 16-year-old FH telling me he was in love with me). However, him living in England meant that it would never really work.

When I was 23, I took a trip to Europe and we met up in London just to say that we finally did. We spent 12 hours exploring the city, talking non-stop about absolutely everything - and we were inseparate for the duration of my trip. 8 months later, I moved here. And now, a year and a half later, we're getting married!
  • Long story short, we're high school sweethearts who met through mutual friends.

Technically we danced together at our high school's semi-formal, but only started talking a couple months later after he had gone on a school trip with some of my friends.  We started dating a few weeks later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My H and i met in highschool. We went to different schools, but both went to a college prep program for three years. It was 3 summers living on a college campus. One of my friends there had told me that H had a crush on me and i was like "well he is really not my type." He is very quiet, and the "nice guy." He was so skinny and looked about 12. Still adorable tho, but i was more into the outgoing bad boys. Fast forward a few years  we both went to different colleges and lost touch. He was going to the same college as my best friend so i would see him here and there when i would visit her. I still was not interested in him in that way. Fast forward a few MORE years i was engaged to a complete jerk and had a 5 month old child.  I realized how awful my FI was and decided to leave. I get a random message on Facebook from my H saying "why does your status say single, i thought you were getting married." So i wrote him back, and a simple conversation turned into writing each other constantly to visiting to dating long distance for a few months. I finally moved closer to him and now we are Married!!  I finally gave the nice guy a chance and its been almost 5 years together now and he is absolutely the best guy in the world!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:9d2d95fb-08ba-4ca5-b92e-feed1f4a2cc4Post:7177b3d7-0be6-40a8-b5b7-b2b3b36b2eea">Re: How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]AWell, there's no harm but I could probably write an entertaining book about meeting 30 guys in 2 months that <strong>includes a visit to a guy's house who's hobby is to pretend he's a Ghostbuster</strong>.
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

OMG, I could totally see one of my friends doing this who's been online dating, had to make sure you weren't in DC!

Anyway, FI and I met my junior year, his senior year, of college at a mutual friend's Labor Day party. I had just gotten out of a bad relationship so wasn't really looking to date, then he got into a relationship...and so and so on until <em>my</em> senior year of college. Still, even though the timing wasn't right, we talked every night, generally through IM. Eventually everything worked itself out, and we started to date. And so though we've only "been together" a couple years, it's been a long time coming.

Funnier part is, he used to work the front desk at the dorm next to mine when I was a freshman--where I used to go all the time since I had friends there. Somehow we NEVER ended up meeting until three years later. I suppose it's just how the timing worked itself out.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards