March 2014 Weddings

When to send invitations?

So, keeping the holidays in mind, when is it customary to send out invitations for a March 1 wedding? I was thinking January 1... right???

Re: When to send invitations?

• Our wedding is March 15th, and I plan to send mine on Jan 2.  That way, they are in the mail and on their way.  Our RSVP date is Feb. 15th.  That way, if there are late responders, we still have a little bit of time to track down the ones that haven't fully responded.  My FI wanted to mail the invites out in December, is is ludicrous. I finally got him to agree to Jan. 2nd...that way they don't get lost in the holiday shuffle.  Plus, Jan 3rd is my birthday so it'll be a nice birthday present to myself to have them all mailed out. :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
    image 40 are party poopers
    image 0 awaiting reply
    Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.
  • I'm mailing dec. 26th with RSVP dat 2-1-14....what do u guys think?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• nalex420 said:
    I'm mailing dec. 26th with RSVP dat 2-1-14....what do u guys think?
    Your invites will probably still get lost in the holiday shuffle.  I would say Jan 2nd.  That's when we are doing it and our wedding isn't until March 15th.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • I think this is the only downfall of having our weddings in March, ladies. With all the Christmas cards that go out, I wouldn't say your invitation would get lost, but it wouldn't be set apart, that's for sure.
  • We are doing the 3rd week in January for our March 22nd date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine are going out the 4th of January, my wedding is March 16th.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are looking at the middle of January for our March 29th, 2014 wedding. We have a few out of town guests but mostly guests in town.
  • Ours is March 8th. I am thinking of sending them out January 1st with a February 1st deadline. My caterer needs a head count 3 weeks prior. Otherwise, I would set it a week later.
  • I think it depends on your RSVP date.  You'll want guests to have a couple weeks to figure out their plans & send their reply before you need final headcounts for your venue and caterer.  If you can have your RSVP by date in mid-February (second week or so) you should be fine.
  • My wedding is March 15. My mom suggested Dec 7....but I'm getting the impression that's too early? (The knot says 3 month mark, but that's definitely holiday shuffle time). I'm hoping to have an RSVP date of Feb 15 because I need a final head count 3 weeks in advance - so I'll have a week to track down stragglers.
  • RJD5 said:
    My wedding is March 15. My mom suggested Dec 7....but I'm getting the impression that's too early? (The knot says 3 month mark, but that's definitely holiday shuffle time). I'm hoping to have an RSVP date of Feb 15 because I need a final head count 3 weeks in advance - so I'll have a week to track down stragglers.
    Our wedding is March 15th as well.  We originally were going to send our invites on the 15th of December but came to the realization that it would get misplaced/lost in the holiday shuffle....so with that said, we are mailing them out on January 2nd...which may actually turn into January 3rd so that I can do it on my day off.  I would say wait until the beginning of the year and make your RSVP date the 15th of Feb....that way you have time to get the stragglers in and give the head count when you need to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • Hello! I have a March 1 wedding date, too! I'm going to send it out after Christmas and New Years, so that it doesn't get lost in the mail with gifts and holiday cards. So, yes, I think Jan 1 is a great date to send out invitations!

• verna25verna25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2013

Same as mblake525. RSVP by Feb 1 bc caterer needs head count 3 weeks prior.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @soontobemrsbuccheri we have the same timeline!  I'm hoping to use the time off over the holidays (we don't have any traveling to do this year) to address invites.  I'll be hand-addressing about 125 envelopes.  ha!
  • vt&dt said:
    @soontobemrsbuccheri we have the same timeline!  I'm hoping to use the time off over the holidays (we don't have any traveling to do this year) to address invites.  I'll be hand-addressing about 125 envelopes.  ha!
    Oh my god.  Hand-addressing 125?  I have about 110ish to address.  Thankfully, my sister will be living with me by the time I start working on them that she will be helping me.  I have Friday's off from now until just after the wedding so I can focus on getting stuff done around here for both the house and the wedding.  However, I dread having to hand address them all.  I am thinking about getting clear labels and printing them with a fancy calligraphy font.  Heh. But I don't know yet.  I don't want to be too much of an etiquette breaker.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply