Outdoor Weddings

How cold is too cold for an outdoor wedding?

We are planning on having an outdoor ceremony and then going inside for the reception...

As of right now, we have a back up plan in case it rains or is freezing... but I also go to thinking... How cold is too cold to have an outdoor ceremony??

Re: How cold is too cold for an outdoor wedding?

• Will you have heaters? Protection from wind? Warm beverages?

This really depends on your area an what your guests are used to. I wouldn't go below 65, but someone with guests from a cooler climate might be okay with lower.

This thread has a variety of responses that might be helpful:
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/comment/6976717/#Comment_6976717
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think this could be more specific. What season are you looking at? What geographical area?
    High 60s is probably fine here. I'm in the mountains. Our big worry for outdoor events is wind. Down south, people would be hunting for coats at that temperature.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    I would say 18 degrees Celsius minimum.  It is good you have a backup in case of rain, etc. but if the ceremony is done outside, will there be protection from potential wind or heaters of some kind?  
    Edited because I apparently don't proof read before hitting enter...
  • If I have to bring a jacket, not just a sweater or cute scarf, I think it's too cold without ensuring you have heaters.

So what's jacket weather for your guests?
  • I think it depends on the area of the country you are in. If you are in Florida and it's 60 degrees, that might too cold, but for in Alaska, that's a hot day. Also if it's windy or not can have an impact on what degrees can be tolerated. I think it's a good idea to have a backup plan to have heaters available if needed. Also if people know it's going to be an outdoor ceremony they will dress accordingly. Keep in mind, if you were a guest at your wedding, at what point would you be like "this is too cold" and be uncomfortable?
  • Our wedding is in November in Oklahoma, which is typically a nice time of year for us.

The ceremony will be held downtown and should be blocked from the wind

I just wasn't sure at what tempurature we should consider moving the ceremony inside

• BrandiN85 said:

Our wedding is in November in Oklahoma, which is typically a nice time of year for us.

I just wasn't sure at what tempurature we should consider moving the ceremony inside

It really just has to do with what is considered cold in your region and how much you are doing to keep your guests comfortable.  Our wedding is November 2 in Colorado.  Here, if it's in the 60's at that time of year people are in light sweaters at most.  But that doesn't mean my brother coming from the Cayman Islands would agree that's warm enough.  I'd be fine out side in the 50's but our cut off is 60 degrees (without wind) which the vast majority of our guests would be just fine with.  Plus, the forecast right now looks like snow and highs in the 30's three and four days before the wedding, followed by a jump back into the 60's the day before and day of. (Typical, all over the place Colorado weather)  For the local folks, it will feel like summer when that happens.   But for those who won't be here for the preceding cold snap and might still find 60's to be cool, we are also providing blankets, serving hot apple cider as guests arrive, and offering them a place to wait indoors before the ceremony.   Ceremony will only be about 20 minutes and then people can go right back inside. But if the projected high is even one degree below 60 we'll move inside just to be on the safe side.  I may end up calling our coordinator the day of and making the final decision then.

Bottom line.Think about how to keep your guests comfortable and always put them first. Be ready to move inside at the last second if needed.
  • lol 65???  We live in Maine and that would be a balmy summer day. We are getting married  Dec 14th the weather will probably be like 20 degrees. We are staying inside but if it snows that day I will haul my fiancée out for some awesome photos even if its freezing
  • lol 65???  We live in Maine and that would be a balmy summer day. We are getting married  Dec 14th the weather will probably be like 20 degrees. We are staying inside but if it snows that day I will haul my fiancée out for some awesome photos even if its freezing

65 is definitely warm for northern climates, but I think it's advisable to keep in mind that older guests, infants, and out-of-staters likely cannot tolerate the same conditions comfortably. Just because we are fine in 50s weather doesn't mean our guests will be.
  • WonderRed said:

BrandiN85 said:

Our wedding is in November in Oklahoma, which is typically a nice time of year for us.

It really just has to do with what is considered cold in your region and how much you are doing to keep your guests comfortable.  Our wedding is November 2 in Colorado.  Here, if it's in the 60's at that time of year people are in light sweaters at most.  But that doesn't mean my brother coming from the Cayman Islands would agree that's warm enough.  I'd be fine out side in the 50's but our cut off is 60 degrees (without wind) which the vast majority of our guests would be just fine with.  Plus, the forecast right now looks like snow and highs in the 30's three and four days before the wedding, followed by a jump back into the 60's the day before and day of. (Typical, all over the place Colorado weather)  For the local folks, it will feel like summer when that happens.   But for those who won't be here for the preceding cold snap and might still find 60's to be cool, we are also providing blankets, serving hot apple cider as guests arrive, and offering them a place to wait indoors before the ceremony.   Ceremony will only be about 20 minutes and then people can go right back inside. But if the projected high is even one degree below 60 we'll move inside just to be on the safe side.  I may end up calling our coordinator the day of and making the final decision then.

Bottom line.Think about how to keep your guests comfortable and always put them first. Be ready to move inside at the last second if needed.

Yes!
    We are getting married Fourth of July weekend.
    Last year, we got snow. If you live in a highly variable climate, backup plans are a must.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards